Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony1989
    replied
    Very impressive Steve thanks for your responses.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Leave a comment:

• SWAT1
    replied
    Tony,

Yes, I got it before I came out by way of 'Alien of Extraordinary Ability'. I was lucky that during my Police career I'd done a lot i.e Protection Officer for the Duke and Duchess of York and Team Leader with one of the Mets SO19 SFO Teams. When I left I wrote a couple of top-ten bestsellers and did work for TV news stations on Counter Terrorism etc. As I said, I was lucky it's not the normal route to go down but everything combined slotted me into that criteria.

Good Luck.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Tony1989
    replied
    So did you get your green card before you moved out there steve? How did you go about it?

All the very best with your application.

Tony.

Leave a comment:

• SWAT1
    replied
    Tony1989

The guys are spot on, the whole visa deal is a minefield, JI603 you are totally correct in what you say. However, UK Residents are not eligible for the Green Card Lottery. Years ago I was desperate to get over here and find a job in LE, the hardest part was actually getting over here. Eventually I retired from the Met on injury after 20 years, I emigrated in 2000 on a Green Card and became a Citizen last year. I'm now 51 and have a good job in the private security sector but have just applied for FHP Auxilary in an effort to put something back into the community.

I sincerely hope all goes well, but be in for a rocky ride and disappointment.

Be Safe,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Tony1989
    replied
    That sounds great Thomas any help you can give me would be great- and of course if I find any other info I will let you know.

Tony.

Leave a comment:

• thomas26
    replied
    Tony,
    in September I'll take part in a exchange program for Police Officers.
    I'll visit the Chicago PD which is the largest PD only requiring legal permanent resident status.
    If I find out anything, I'll tell you.
    Pls contact me, if you find any other PD sponsoring a H1B Visa.

Leave a comment:

• Tony1989
    replied
    Thats a great help JI603 thanks again.

Tony.

Leave a comment:

• JI603
    replied
    Well - before the green card you'd need to be sponsored for an H1B Visa, which if you got, you could convert to a green card after a few years.

Easiest thing to do would be get over here on a visa somehow working for any company, then once you're living here, apply for a cop job with one of those departments who apparently don't require citizenship.

You could always come on holiday and stop by a department's recruiting office (bigger is better when it comes to this, because a small town place won't have any idea about immigration requirements - they're used to local applicants) to get some answers. I suppose you could ask them if they'd sponsor you for a visa. Maybe they need jocke interpreters

Here's how it went for me:

1989 emigrated
    1994 green card
    2000 US citizen
    Last edited by JI603; 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tony1989
    replied
    thanks for the response again JI603.

will any police departments sponsor a green card application?

I agree with you thomas on this one!

Leave a comment:

• thomas26
    replied
    Originally posted by JI603 View Post
    If it were easy, half of eastern europe and all of mexico would be here.
    But Tony n me r from western europe and we don't speak any spanish...
    So give us a Greencard, please...

Leave a comment:

• JI603
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony1989 View Post
    No i don't speak any foreign languages to a high enough level to really be able to note them- though i do speak french well enough to get by if need be!

SHU I'm a British citizen and I havn't started down the road of getting my green card or anything else just yet.

How does just getting a work permit and getting a green card/permanent residence differ then?

I can see already how complicated this would all be!

Tony.

Consider the many classes of people in the US:

Holiday visitors w/visa, or from countries with visa waiver status.
    H1B worker (5 or 6 year validity, to perform a job that can't be done by a US citizen)
    H2 Visa - agricultural/temporary seasonal laborer.... short time visa
    Student
    Permanent Resident w/right to work.
    Naturalized US citizen

You get a green card by first getting an H1B Visa, working for a company who then sponsors your green card application. After you've had your green card for 5 years you can apply for citizenship.

If it were easy, half of eastern europe and all of mexico would be here.

Leave a comment:

• Tony1989
    replied
    No i don't speak any foreign languages to a high enough level to really be able to note them- though i do speak french well enough to get by if need be!

SHU I'm a British citizen and I havn't started down the road of getting my green card or anything else just yet.

How does just getting a work permit and getting a green card/permanent residence differ then?

I can see already how complicated this would all be!

Tony.

Leave a comment:

• SHU
    replied
    What is your current immigration status tony1989?
    Last edited by SHU; 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: i

Leave a comment:

• JI603
    replied
    Originally posted by eyildiz View Post
    not entirely true. like I said in my previous post, colorado is one place you can do this without even a green card. CO is accredited, and is not small (take Colorado state police for example)

here is CSP

http://csp.state.co.us/SEL_MQ_DQ.html

look at my threads, and go through them.... i've been doing my research on this topic
    No point in arguing with you if you're sure of your research, but I stand by my earlier post.

The only way one can come to the USA and work is with an H1B Visa (special skills, like I posted) or by winning the green card lottery. Sure you can marry a US citizen or come for the seasonal work, but those are the two ways.

If you come on an H1B working for, say, Sun microsystems and then decide you want to become a cop, you'd lose your employer visa-sponsor, and have no right to work here...

The other way is to convert your visa to Green Card/Permanent Residency, and then apply for citizenship -

Your sig line says you're in the process for a Colorado agency, so good luck to you.

I do find it strange that COSP would hire someone who doesn't have a green card, and so their time in the USA is temporary and limited by an H1B Visa to 5 or 6 years... more time requires a green card and permanent resident status.

Leave a comment:

• thomas26
    replied
    Originally posted by SHU View Post
    If you want to stay here and be a cop why don't you try to become a citizen?
    ??
    Because u need to be permanent resident for 5 years to be eligible to apply for u.s. citizenship. (2 exeptions: marry a u.s. citizen or join the u.s. army; the time to be eligible to will be foreshortened to 3 years)

The hardest part will be getting a greencard. (I'm trying for years...)

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11204 users online. 493 members and 10711 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X