Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol... How long is the wait?

I've seen some different answers in the other threads on here. Some of it seemed dated.

A little background I'm active duty Navy, a Master At Arms (MP) and veteran of Afghanistan where I trained and worked with the Afghan Police including the Border Police on the Pakistani border.

I have about 2 years left in the active Navy and I would like to work for the Border Patrol. I hear from some people that the process is painfully long and from others that it's 4 to 7 months.

My question is should I start applying while I am still on active duty so I can transition ASAP if offered the job. Or should I wait until discharged?

Originally posted by DirtSailor View Post
    I've seen some different answers in the other threads on here. Some of it seemed dated.

A little background I'm active duty Navy, a Master At Arms (MP) and veteran of Afghanistan where I trained and worked with the Afghan Police including the Border Police on the Pakistani border.

I have about 2 years left in the active Navy and I would like to work for the Border Patrol. I hear from some people that the process is painfully long and from others that it's 4 to 7 months.

My question is should I start applying while I am still on active duty so I can transition ASAP if offered the job. Or should I wait until discharged?
    You have to be here in CONUS for each step of the process and most of the advice that I've seen is to wait until you have about 9 months to go.

Processing times vary, but expect 6 months to 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
      You have to be here in CONUS for each step of the process and most of the advice that I've seen is to wait until you have about 9 months to go.

Processing times vary, but expect 6 months to 2 years.
      Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely be CONUS. MAs don't go on ships much and I'm at a shore command's Police Dept. myself. Only possibiliy to leave the states is anoter deployment.

The possibility of 2 years is what makes me want to apply ASAP. I guess 9 months isn't too bad though.

Looking forward to getting the process started.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtSailor View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely be CONUS. MAs don't go on ships much and I'm at a shore command's Police Dept. myself. Only possibiliy to leave the states is anoter deployment.

The possibility of 2 years is what makes me want to apply ASAP. I guess 9 months isn't too bad though.

Looking forward to getting the process started.
        Hmmm, I know a little bit about the Navy.....you may be mistaken. Every former MA that I work with has been on a ship.

Anyway, back to your question. Start the process 9 months out from your EAOS. You can file unemployment for up to 6 months after you get out. I made the mistake of not applying until a month before I got out of the Military. I was unemployed for 4 months before my first Civ L.E. job.
        Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcgunnerm4 View Post
          Hmmm, I know a little bit about the Navy.....you may be mistaken. Every former MA that I work with has been on a ship.

Anyway, back to your question. Start the process 9 months out from your EAOS. You can file unemployment for up to 6 months after you get out. I made the mistake of not applying until a month before I got out of the Military. I was unemployed for 4 months before my first Civ L.E. job.
          The MA rating has changed alot since 9/11. Alot of the cross rates have been on ships because they cross rated after the boom in MAs after 9/11. E-6and above tend to see ships but a billet is hard to get. E-5 might get be able to get a billet on carrier or amphib but usually not on small boys. MAs are focused more on AT/FP or on units like Riverine Squads (the replacement to the old USMC Small Craft Company) or Maritime Expeditionary Securiy units (our versin of a FAST Team). Our sea duty by far is overseas bases, units like I mentioned above or augmentee deployments to the sandbox. Anyways it sounds like I'm doing a sales pitch lol. But yeah... the rating has changed alot. I'm at one of the few bases CONUS where we still do LE.

Thanks for the advice though 9 months sounds good I'll definitely put my app in at that time.

Comment

My total time from submitting the application to EOD at the academy was six months. Lightning fast as far as FLEOAs go.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU View Post
              My total time from submitting the application to EOD at the academy was six months. Lightning fast as far as FLEOAs go.
              I went through the process last year before withdrawing due to my interest in another agency. It went very quickly. My test scores took only 3 days! I think the BP did the best good job as far as applicant support. All of my e-mails, requests, and questions were answered within 24 hours. All paperwork and information was sent to me with detailed descriptions of what to expect for every phase up to and including academy and post-academy OJT. Anytime I needed to get a hold of someone, the phones were answered. Can't say the same for ICE...

Comment

Apply as soon as you can. Many of the 'boxes' you get checked are good for up to 3 years. So, even if you don't get to go all the way thru the first time, you'll already have stuff done. You will likely get lots of leeway due to your position. I applied, then deployed and had to explain my delay in completing the next process - NO ISSUES! Good luck.
                trainee

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10490 users online. 443 members and 10047 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X