300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Federal LE

If you individually have a good record, but have a close relative with a felony on their record, will that hinder all employment with any/all Federal Law Enforcement positions?

I ask this because my mother and brother are both felons. I applied with CBP 2 years ago and they just recently got back to me. In the return response I received from CBP it said because of my mother and brother they could not hire me. It is considered to be criminal association. That is not my fault and I can not help my circumstances.

Any input into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Dawn

That's jacked up....

I personally know two guys I went to HS with....one is a FBI Agent (was DEA before then) and the other is a NCIS Agent....

Daddy got popped with a FEDERAL Felony conviction....and they were fine...

They had to explain the caes right off the bat to their respective recrutiers....but didn't have any issues at all after the BIs figured out they had nothing to do with the crimes in question......

Good luck....

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I did file an appeal with Customs. Waiting to hear back. Does anyone know how long an appeal typically takes?

I have applied with local law enforcement, and have no problem passing the background with them. I just recently became POST eligible..so we will see what happens with that as well. Unfortunatley, Minnesota is on a huge hiring freeze. It is very difficult to get a cop job in MN.

Comment

Originally posted by SYS View Post
        Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I did file an appeal with Customs. Waiting to hear back. Does anyone know how long an appeal typically takes?

I have applied with local law enforcement, and have no problem passing the background with them. I just recently became POST eligible..so we will see what happens with that as well. Unfortunatley, Minnesota is on a huge hiring freeze. It is very difficult to get a cop job in MN.
        I'm in a similar situation. My older brother is not a US citizen (Australia) and he has a felony aggravated assualt (domestic situation with his ex-wife) His record and complicated background, coupled with his lack of education keeps him from getting his citizenship. He's a permanent resident. He's not a criminal by any means, just a non-educated blue collar guy that f*ck up and paid the price for it and has moved on. I had to explain it during my BI for my SECRET for military police but it wasn't a problem for me. I haven't met with my BI yet and I'm sure he/she will ask about it. I don't think it should affect me. I know that the Department of State won't clear you for a TS/SCI unless all of your immediate family members are citizens, at least without a waiver. I'm sure it would require jumping through many hoops, and that's if they really want you. I'm glad I'm not applying with them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5897 users online. 197 members and 5700 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X