300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uptp

I know there have been numerous threads on FLETC but I have not found much information on the UPTP portion of FLETC (maybe my searching skills are lacking).

I'm just looking for an account of what my experience at FLETC will be later this year for UPTP. I've done the high stressed police academy and was wondering if this is what I will be experiencing again or if it is more laid back, mostly concentrated on the academics. Is the PT rigorous? Is it militaristic in the fact that there is a lot of punishment and smoke sessions? Again, I went through all that and am just hoping that it will be more laid back and focused on academics (I can always dream at least right?).

How is the facility? I believe I would be going to the one in Georgia. Are they the ones with new rooms? Will I be in my own room or will I be having a roommate? They have maid service and stuff right?

And of course, anything else that can be said about it and the experience would be greatly appreciated. Just a little excited since I got the call today and am just trying to find out what I will be getting myself into with this training... And already dreading have to get pepper sprayed AGAIN... Assuming I will through the training? Hated it in the academy, and hated it when my partners would accidentally get me on the streets aiming at someone else.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. Stay safe.

To mirror what was said above, UPTP is like college with some PT thrown in. I too had been through a high stress local academy prior to UPTP, and found FLETC to be very easy. The academic portion did not require much, if any studying, especially if you have prior LE experience. The courses are very generic and designed for the slowest person in your class to catch on. The PT can provide a challenge if you allow it to, but you will also see many slugs get through the program without much effort.

The FLETC experience is very laid back. The instructors are very professional and will not resort to the yelling or tear-down tactics of drill sergeants or tac officers. Evenings and weekend are yours.
    sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Originally posted by ujocka View Post
      To mirror what was said above, UPTP is like college with some PT thrown in. I too had been through a high stress local academy prior to UPTP, and found FLETC to be very easy. The academic portion did not require much, if any studying, especially if you have prior LE experience. The courses are very generic and designed for the slowest person in your class to catch on. The PT can provide a challenge if you allow it to, but you will also see many slugs get through the program without much effort.

The FLETC experience is very laid back. The instructors are very professional and will not resort to the yelling or tear-down tactics of drill sergeants or tac officers. Evenings and weekend are yours.
      Thank you for your response as I know you have been there not too long ago. Yea, I'm not too worried about academics and nott oo much the PT. I just realized yesterday after I got in my first foot chase in maybe two months (People don't run on you in the cold like they do in the summer apparently) and realized that I need to up my cardio because I was definitely tired quicker than I use to be.

I would love more responses/experiences from people if you have them, but I do have another question. If the agency doesn't let you carry your issued firearm off-duty and do not allow you to qualify with an off-duty but doesn't necessarily prohibit you from off-duty carry.. Thanks to HR 218 I technically can carry anything off duty then correct? It would just mean that the department would not personally cover me if I get into a situation?

I just could not imagine now that I'll be a Fed LEO not carrying off-duty when I'm use to carrying off-duty everywhere I go as a City LEO.

Thanks again for everything. Be Safe

Comment

Not necessarily anything. Many agencies have their policy on what you can carry. Most FED Police will only let you carry your issued weapon off duty. You will learn more about it from the agency. HR 218 pretty much just allows you to carry within in US Territories unlike municipalities that would only allow you to carry within your jurisdiction or that state. What you can carry and when you can carry it will fall under your departments SOP.

Comment

Legally you can carry under the LEOSA, but administratively you could get nailed, up to and including termination, depending on how OPR or your management perceived your action (or how it tarnished the agencies public image).

My recommendation if you cannot carry anything but your duty weapon is to carry the duty weapon. If no weapon is approved for off-duty I recommend getting a CCW from your state if you are in a state that is carry friendly. If you are stopped during a traffic stop or some other means, use your creds to cover you. Unless you work for an agency that is well known in your area as one that doesnt have off-duty carry privileges, you shouldnt have any problems carrying off-duty on your creds. I don't know of any LEO's that would sweat you if you presented them. If you have to pull the weapon in self-defense, pull the CCW out.

The reality is that whether you carry your agency weapon, or another weapon under a CCW, best believe your agency will run their own investigation and put you through their administrative dog and pony show.
          sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Getting your own room depends on where they put you, 185-86-87 you will have a roommate.
            PT is not too bad unless you have a bad apple in your class, we had a guy show up for ORT with BDU pants (shorts required) and we had to run to the barracks and back so he could change into shorts (3 miles) and had to make up the session after hours on our time, then the next week he decided to get a couple more minutes sleep and showed up to ORT 15 minutes late and the class had to do 96 burpee's. (Not fun)

Comment

Originally posted by copter View Post
              Getting your own room depends on where they put you, 185-86-87 you will have a roommate.
              Have they doubled up ALL the rooms in the Taj or only those for Basic students? It would kinda suck to go back for Advanced courses and have to share the room with someone...

Comment

In general UPTP is a basic police academy and depending on the agency that hires you will depend on what atmosphere you encounter. It could be any atmosphere that was described. It can be military oriented to laid back. The rooms are single generally but lately there have been posts of doubling up in rooms, according to CBP trainees. The Taj has maid service while others do not. I would expect the worse and be thankful for the best. Good luck.
                God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by BD380 View Post
                  Have they doubled up ALL the rooms in the Taj or only those for Basic students? It would kinda suck to go back for Advanced courses and have to share the room with someone...
                  I'm in the Taj right now and they have all of us doubled up.
                  Last edited by NYCardinal85; 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=FPS1588;1603384]..... The Taj has maid service while others do not. QUOTE]

All of the dorms at FLETC have maid service.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCardinal85 View Post
                      I'm in the Taj right now and they have all of us doubled up.
                      Basic or Advanced?

Comment

[QUOTE=ujocka;1603545]
                        Originally posted by FPS1588 View Post
                        ..... The Taj has maid service while others do not. QUOTE]

All of the dorms at FLETC have maid service.
                        I guess I had assumed when I was there, that the older run down rooms without the amenities and where you shared a bathroom did not have maid service. I did not recall anyone cleaning my room during my short stay the first time. However when I returned to FLETC, I stayed in the Taj and had maid service.
                        God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10090 users online. 428 members and 9662 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X