300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Opinion On Background Please

I am applying for a P.O. position in a large city, I have passed the written, physical, and oral board. I am curious to know your opinions regarding my chances in the background stage. Thank you!

Age 23-30
    I am 30 years old and have been self employed for the past seven years (retail stores), prior to being self employed I was a PGA Golf Instructor for 2 years.

Age 16-23
    Retail clerk at golf store 1 yr
    Salesman for DVD co. 1 yr
    Laborer at landscaping co. 8 months
    Bagger at grocery store 2 yrs
    Framer at several different construction companies 2.5 years

I have been married for 9 years and have three children, up until 2007 I had an impeccable credit history. In 2007 business started to slow each month and I began lending money to the company. It looked like we would be able to turn it around and the recession hit us hard in October of 2008. My personal credit has been destroyed and bankruptcy is a probability.

In High School I was an average student, I dropped out in my senior year to go to work full time framing houses. I returned that summer to complete my GED.

Now for the really stupid part...

1995 Class A Misdemeanor Theft - My girlfriend owed my Dad who was a terminally ill cancer patient $750. We went into a bank inside a grocery store to cash our pay checks, upon leaving she asked what I wanted to do next and I told her we needed to go pay my Dad the $750. She refused. I grabbed the cash out of her hand ($1400) and counted out $800 in hundred dollar bills, I threw the remaining $600 at her and walked away. Security witnessed the theft and called the police.

1996 Class B Misdemeanor fighting

I appreciate your time and opinions, thank you.

Hey man, I am just here to give you some encouragement. Since these incidents happened 13+ years ago I think you still do have a chance. Based on you passing the other stages you mentioned it does seem like they are looking beyond the prior incidents. Maybe the fact that you are a family man, been working since the age of 16 and worked hard to get your GED will push you over the finish line because that shows hard work and determination. That beind said, good luck to you and apply to different agencies. I have been unemployed for a while so I am in a similar situation with credit.
    Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

It all really depends on how detailed the BI is by the agency imo. If they run a simple NCIC check on you and don't check your credit, then you are most likely in. You were under 18 in 1995 if my math is right and your theft would not appear on NCIC (I think).

However, if they do check your credit. Chances are not good. Especially considering how many people are seeking jobs. Credit worthiness is an indicator of being able to handle responsibility. Rightfully so they don't look kindly upon walking away from your responsiblity. I'm not saying that you have to have perfect credit. But a bankruptcy? Ouch.

Comment

Really it all depends on the agency, and their standards. I can tell you that at my last department they looked at all records including juvenile records. With that being said any conviction for theft was an automatic disqualifier, because it was seen as a crime of dishonesty. I think you will have an uphill battle at best. Again you have to think that you will be competing against potentially hundreds of other applicants, agencies can afford to be picky.

Comment

Originally posted by nab View Post
          I am applying for a P.O. position in a large city, I have passed the written, physical, and oral board. I am curious to know your opinions regarding my chances in the background stage. Thank you!

Age 23-30
          I am 30 years old and have been self employed for the past seven years (retail stores), prior to being self employed I was a PGA Golf Instructor for 2 years.

Age 16-23
          Retail clerk at golf store 1 yr
          Salesman for DVD co. 1 yr
          Laborer at landscaping co. 8 months
          Bagger at grocery store 2 yrs
          Framer at several different construction companies 2.5 years

I have been married for 9 years and have three children, up until 2007 I had an impeccable credit history. In 2007 business started to slow each month and I began lending money to the company. It looked like we would be able to turn it around and the recession hit us hard in October of 2008. My personal credit has been destroyed and bankruptcy is a probability.

In High School I was an average student, I dropped out in my senior year to go to work full time framing houses. I returned that summer to complete my GED.

Now for the really stupid part...

1995 Class A Misdemeanor Theft - My girlfriend owed my Dad who was a terminally ill cancer patient $750. We went into a bank inside a grocery store to cash our pay checks, upon leaving she asked what I wanted to do next and I told her we needed to go pay my Dad the $750. She refused. I grabbed the cash out of her hand ($1400) and counted out $800 in hundred dollar bills, I threw the remaining $600 at her and walked away. Security witnessed the theft and called the police.

1996 Class B Misdemeanor fighting

I appreciate your time and opinions, thank you.
          The misdemeanor charges will have to be disclosed, but considering the nature of the charges, and the passage of time, possibly won't have a negative impact on you. Sounds like you're one of the victims of the current economy. With that said, keep in mind that agencies for the most part, take credit/indebtedness quite seriously. Prior to applying, I would suggest that you make an effort to have your credit situation as much in your favor as possible. Not neccesary to have all your bills paid off, but be able to demonstrate a record of steady payment. Obviously, I can't speak officially for any department. I would suggest that you speak with a Recruiter at an agency which interests you, and discuss your situation with him/her. Hopefully this Officer could give you some "real time" practical information relative to you applying. I sincerely hope things work out for you.

Comment

I hope everything works out for you! I had some old stuff from 1985 that DQ'ed me last week. If you get on let me know what department it is. I am looking for another department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6472 users online. 285 members and 6187 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X