Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluent

I have a quick question for all.

What does it take to be considered "fluent" in a language to be able to put it on an application? Is there a "National Standard" test you have to take to be classified as "fluent"?

Just wondering if someone could enlighten me
    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Originally posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
    I have a quick question for all.

What does it take to be considered "fluent" in a language to be able to put it on an application? Is there a "National Standard" test you have to take to be classified as "fluent"?

Just wondering if someone could enlighten me
    Some agencies designate levels of language proficiency that you can specify on your application. I think you would know if you are fluent: can you understand 99% of a conversation and express yourself in both professional and personal settings with virtually no grammatical errors and the use of good vocabulary? Then you are a probably fluent. If you are unsure, I would state that you are "proficient" in the language (specify written/spoken or both) and I'm sure you will have a chance to take an exam at some point.

Some agencies have much higher standards for fluency. The Department of State would be one of them, and yes, their tests are pretty tough

Comment

One definition is thinking in the language, understanding without consciously translating. For written language, it might be the ability to do crossword puzzles.
      You'll probably get extra points for punning.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9700 users online. 460 members and 9240 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X