Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Police Departments not hire Military Police officers after their duty is up?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not true, I am prior USAF Security Forces, and got hired. You'll still get hired but the fact that you were LE in the Military won't give you any advantage really, just military pref. points. Also, a lot of bases from what I've heard are going to civilian LE on bases, you'll work security and get deployed. Can't beat the MGI bill benefits though; I'm a probation officer which counts as OJT, so the military sends me a check every month. Best of luck, PM me if you have any questions about the academy or basic.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanfromMI View Post
      Funny I heard you cannot take classes while in Iraq.
      Errr.....U of Maryland is opening up Education Centers all over Iraq.......article was in Stars and Stripes last week.....

Central Texas will be starting soon as well....

Further, if you are in a online program (such as Park University and others) all you need is a internet connection to do your stuff online..... Most teachers/instructors will work with you if they know you are in the military on active duty.....

Comment

I am a police recruiter in NC. Like most agencies I heavily target separating military service members, and members of the guard and reserves.

The U.S. Census Bureau statistics are that 10.4% of the U.S. population over 18 has military service. Even NC which is southern state with a large number of major military installations, 11.4% of our population has military service. The actual percentile in the recruiting pool is below 5% due to the large draft population years during WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. Those veterans are not generally in the LE hiring pool any longer. Former service members compose a much higher percentile of almost all LE agencies across the nation.

As a recruiter I attend general population job fairs, university and junior college career fairs, and job fairs at military installations. If those job fairs had an equal number of people attending I would receive more quality applications from the military job fair.

My theory, and I could be wrong, it that it is personality driven. The personality of the person that causes them to have an interest in military service also leads to an interest in law enforcement. I have also noticed that the spouse of a LEO, including female LEO tend to also be in a public service type employment. The spouses of LEO are often in LE, education, or a medical field. I believe that this is also a result of their personality, how they view the world.

A high percentile of former military LE service members enters civilian LE. Therefore as a recruiter I make a special effect to make the military LE in my area know that we are extremely interested in the skills that they have mastered while in military service.

Former military LE along with lateral LEO (both in and out of state) brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          Errr.....U of Maryland is opening up Education Centers all over Iraq.......article was in Stars and Stripes last week.....
          Let's be clear, it would be the University of Maryland University College (Tier 3 school) that would open up classes in Iraq. The actual University of Maryland College Park (Top 50 school), will never open classes in Iraq because it is a traditional college.
          "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

Originally posted by mjhoyt27 View Post
            Let's be clear, it would be the University of Maryland University College (Tier 3 school) that would open up classes in Iraq. The actual University of Maryland College Park (Top 50 school), will never open classes in Iraq because it is a traditional college.
            And that bothers you some how...???

Oh...I know several "traditional colleges" (Abilene Christian, NW MO State, Park University, Boise State, Clemson, Creighton U, George Washington U, Seton Hall) that are doing online stuff now....does that make them any better or any worse...??

Or what about the "traditional colleges" that have opened up branches in the Middle East...like Texas A*M, Virginia Commonwealth, Georgetown....that bother you as well.....???

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              And that bothers you some how...???

Oh...I know several "traditional colleges" (Abilene Christian, NW MO State, Park University, Boise State, Clemson, Creighton U, George Washington U, Seton Hall) that are doing online stuff now....does that make them any better or any worse...??

Or what about the "traditional colleges" that have opened up branches in the Middle East...like Texas A*M, Virginia Commonwealth, Georgetown....that bother you as well.....???
              It doesn't bother me at all, it was just misleading to say that the University of Maryland is opening up offices in Iraq, when they aren't. I remember when I was in Alaska, and my supervisor told me about her going to the University of Maryland online and that I should go there. Well I was really happy because I thought it was the actual University of Maryland, when it was only UMUC. I just wanted to make sure he was 100% sure of the difference.

I can't say anything about those schools opening up in the middle East, but I will bet my savings account that those school will never open up, or have programs like UMUC and Central Texas, in Iraq.

I am still researching those other schools and online classes, because I find it hard to believe they are starting online stuff. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
              "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

mjhoyt

It doesn't bother me at all, it was just misleading to say that the University of Maryland is opening up offices in Iraq, when they aren't. I remember when I was in Alaska, and my supervisor told me about her going to the University of Maryland online and that I should go there. Well I was really happy because I thought it was the actual University of Maryland, when it was only UMUC. I just wanted to make sure he was 100% sure of the difference.

I can't say anything about those schools opening up in the middle East, but I will bet my savings account that those school will never open up, or have programs like UMUC and Central Texas, in Iraq.

I am still researching those other schools and online classes, because I find it hard to believe they are starting online stuff. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
                First, I understand the difference between UMUC and Maryland students would be wise to understand as well. However, UMUC is not a bad school. Just because it is not Tier I and isn't recognized worldwide (except by military), doesn't mean it isn't legit.

Central Texas and UMUC both have/had contracts with the DoD to provide education to service members. Both schools send instructors overseas. I understand that Iraq is a War Zone, but many, many schools pay instructors to live on boats and teach classes to sailors. I know that many of the large bases in forward areas have education centers. It would not surprise me for a second if schools were trying to work out some way of getting instructors over there to teach classes.

Lets not forget that many, many, many schools are opening up online programs. Nebraska, Penn State, University of Florida (or maybe it was Florida State) and several other reputable schools have undergraduate and graduate degrees available COMPLETELY online. I read recently that Cornell and Harvard have online programs as well.

A lot of people who haven't been paying attention to the growth of online education among traditional schools (not a jab, why would you go out of your way to track the progression of online education?). Seriously, every school is working very hard to catch up and create online programs. They are losing money by the boatload by not givinng themselves access to online students.

Worst case scenario, students can go to Iraq and continue with classes by taking online classes during their time in Iraq or Afghanistan.
                Last edited by Ali G; 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

it was just misleading to say that the University of Maryland is opening up offices in Iraq, when they aren't.
                  Errr....no....it's not! UMUC is a part of the U of Maryland system.... Are you that dense to think that someone just took a name and is using it as their own isn't involved with each other....??

I took a bunch of UMUC/UM classes when I was in....Guess what??? They all transfered over to where I finished.....Imagine freaking that....

Lord....You want links???? Use your google skills and learn something son.... They are already operating there......

Err....you are wrong..... Park U has been doing stuff for years and has a real campus about 100 miles from where my *** is parked right now. NWMSU has been doing stuff online for 3-4 years to the point that some of the girls that work at my buddies bar are doing online stuff only. NW is going to be one of the first Colleges/Universitys in the US to go completly bookless and use electronic text books......

As for the others ones, I don't know much about them.....but they are doing stuff online and you can earn your degree from them..... I'd much rather use them than Phoneix or some of the other shady ones....if I was opting to do that.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ali G View Post
                    Worst case scenario, students can go to Iraq and continue with classes by taking online classes during their time in Iraq or Afghanistan.
                    According the Stars and Stripes (that's a newspaper mjhoyt27) UM is already starting classes in Iraq (front page story) and said that CTC was working to get somethign going.....on the ground....not online...

Comment

I've got two guys on my department who were Security Forces (MP's) and a few other guys who were Army MP's. I think it probably depends on the department. I think that the jobs have some similarities and some differences but I have never heard of this urban legend being spoken of.

Comment

I remember during my lateral class as an MPD (Metropolitan Police Dept in DC) back in 2002 that there was a former Army MP in the class ahead of mine. Not only they considered his military experience but they also paid him for it, hence him being in a Lateral Class. This is certainly an advantage since you have a head start from all other regular recruits. Shorter academy and depending on your experience in years, a lot more money.

I don't know if they still accept military police as Lateral Transfer in DC, but it might be worth checking. But even if you don't make it as a Lateral Transfer, the worse that can happen is that you get recruited at an entry level. You will be considered though. If your BI and military record is good, then don't sweat it... And in DC if you know spanish, you certainly have an advantage. They went to Puerto Rico and recruited about 80 officers there just because of the language, yours truly being one of the group.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Lima826

PS Lima is for lime in spanish, I am not from Peru. And 826 was my badge number in DC.

Comment

All of the MP's that I served with that went into civilian LE had no problem getting hired. I don't know many departments that will accept you as lateral because of military LE but most will give you points for being a Vet.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6964 users online. 210 members and 6754 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X