Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Police Departments not hire Military Police officers after their duty is up?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Police Departments not hire Military Police officers after their duty is up?

I've heard this urban legend about Police Departments not hiring MP's or Security Forces after their duty is up; because their mindset is on military law and it would be hard to break them down again. I am wondering if this is true or not. I am planning on going into the military to try and become an MP of some sort, most likely the Air Force which they call it Security Forces. Hopefully when I get out is when I want to try and become a civilian police officer, but I dont want to screw up my chances if this urban legend turns out to be true.

I've never seen this to hold true. Seen just as many former MP's, SP's etc, get hired as people who never served. An agency is going to train you the way they want, anyway, so any "bad habits" (if you could call 'em that) will be long gone by the time you hit the streets.

If that theory were true, agencies would likewise never hire combat vets because their experience in using force is vastly different from the rules required for law enforcement officers. Again, agency is going to train you to perform the duties the way you're supposed to.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

false- don't worry about that- as a matter of fact many cops/sheriffs are also reserve military mp's (or applicable branch) and get military leave to drill if work conflicts with military duties- also military experience might help you get a job if given veterans preference etc-

Comment

Former military

I've always heard that law enforcement agencies like candidates with military experience. The agencies I've worked for hire a good % with military time. Just do not go into training on a new job and say "well, this is how we did it in the military". Civilian law enforcement and military law enforcement are two different games played two different ways. Forget everything you knew and do things the way your told for your new employer. Trainers hate new guys coming on trying to change procedure to how the new guy wants it done. Don't ever get the mindset you can't be replaced. You can be, very easily.

Comment

My Agency actually gave me hire and for my time in as a Security Forces member. I also was given an acceleration to the next level. Police departments love Military Experience especially Military Police experience; no matter what anyone says portions of the two (MIL/CIV LE) are interchangeable...................
          Last edited by FormerUSAF; 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM.
          "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
          German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post
            My Agency actually gave me hire and for my time in as a Security Forces member. I also was given an acceleration to the next level. Police departments love Military Experience especially Military Police experience; no matter what anyone says portions of the two (MIL/CIV LE) are interchangeable...................

What was Security Forces like? Did you get a degree while you were in?

Comment

I actually did finish my degree while I was in. I have just found out the AFOSI approved my package for hire and just waiting on a location and a date to start. I enjoyed the travel and the job for the most part, I think I made the best of it.

Comment

Very nice. I'm just looking for some experience, and hoping this will allow me to buckle down and get a degree in something while doing good for the country. I would also love to travel and save the money I make. Were the hours long? What years were you in?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanfromMI View Post
                  I've heard this urban legend about Police Departments not hiring MP's or Security Forces after their duty is up; because their mindset is on military law and it would be hard to break them down again. I am wondering if this is true or not.
                  False. Everyone who is hired to become a police officer will learn the local and state laws.
                  I am planning on going into the military to try and become an MP of some sort, most likely the Air Force which they call it Security Forces. Hopefully when I get out is when I want to try and become a civilian police officer, but I dont want to screw up my chances if this urban legend turns out to be true.
                  It doesn't matter which speciality you do in the Air Force, as long as you have a clean criminal record and meet the minimum requirements of a police department, you aren't screwing up your chances. My recommendation is try to get some college credits done while in the military.

Comment

Urban legend......There are way more than a few on LASD that were Military Police and/or USAF Security Police/Security Forces before they came to us (and were welcomed with open arms btw)

We will teach you 'our way' of doing police work doing the academy and the FTO process.
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Most departments like applicants with military experience becase we have discipline, are organized, understand rank structure, are self motivated and have that mindset that we will win at all cost.
                      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Time

Very nice. I'm just looking for some experience, and hoping this will allow me to buckle down and get a degree in something while doing good for the country. I would also love to travel and save the money I make. Were the hours long? What years were you in?
                        Hours can be long depending on what's going on. They range from 8hrs-12hrs shifts. If you work 8's you may work 6 days with 3 off. If you work 12's you should have every other weekend off and work only 15 days a month. Deployments is where it can get rough depending on the place you can be doing 12hrs 6 days on and 1 off. Some places you can have no days and others you can have too many days off.

1999-2007

Don't try to get a few college credits; finish the you degree. The military will use and abuse so return the favor with all the PERKS LIKE FREE SCHOOL. It will be tough but you can do it. I know I was one of the few in Iraq taking classes online while my boys were out there playing b-ball and flag football. I'm done now, but hated when I was doing it.
                        Last edited by FormerUSAF; 01-09-2009, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Funny I heard you cannot take classes while in Iraq.

Comment

classes in Iraq

Allan,

Your ability to take classes depends very heavily on your duties and the type of school you go to. If you are taking online classes, there should be no problem. The problems arise when you aren't really assigned anywhere and you spend your time moving from city to city as a unit.

Basically, if you are permanently assigned to a base or a camp (with internet), you will be able to take classes online. Now, if you go out to the field for weeks or months on end, that would probably be a different story.

It also depends on the base or camp you are at. If you are at a Forward Operating Base (FOB) with two computers shared by 300 people, you will probably find it very difficult (not impossible).

Comment

Not true at all. Apply, test well, jump through all the hoops. Just like anyone else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8560 users online. 363 members and 8197 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X