300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinions about chances

Not to beat a dead horse, I wanted (like many others) to get honest opinions from those that have experience or decent knowledge in the background arena. I am a little curious as to whether there is anything in my background that may potentially keep me from getting hired. I am looking in the Orange County/ LA area for my new career- so no small middle-of-nowhere towns are even an option.
    Background items that I can think of:
    31 years old, B.A. in Business, professional employment for last 8+ years (3 years at current employer), 4 speeding tickets in my life (last one was 10+ years ago), great credit history, smoked MJ in high school twice (13 years ago), stole about $30 from an employer about 9 or 10 years ago (never admitted that I did it, but repaid it back; I also have freely admitted this in previous oral interviews)

I believe that I have learned from stupid things I've done in the past, and have done a lot of maturing since then. However, in my several oral interviews, I have never been invited to continue past the oral stage. Is there something there that is really a red flag that I'm somewhat looking over? Or is it just possible that my personality/ answers just haven't connected with the panels that I've interviewed with?

Becoming a police officer has been something that I've been passionate about for a long time. However, I have let discouragement from being passed over get me down each time, and then I don't do anything else for a year or more. At my age, I need to figure out if this is something that is still possible for me, or if I'll be wasting my time due to something that I cannot get rid of (like, in my past.)

Thanks for your honesty,
    Ryan

Originally posted by photoryan View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, I wanted (like many others) to get honest opinions from those that have experience or decent knowledge in the background arena. I am a little curious as to whether there is anything in my background that may potentially keep me from getting hired. I am looking in the Orange County/ LA area for my new career- so no small middle-of-nowhere towns are even an option.
    Background items that I can think of:
    31 years old, B.A. in Business, professional employment for last 8+ years (3 years at current employer), 4 speeding tickets in my life (last one was 10+ years ago), great credit history, smoked MJ in high school twice (13 years ago), stole about $30 from an employer about 9 or 10 years ago (never admitted that I did it, but repaid it back; I also have freely admitted this in previous oral interviews)

I believe that I have learned from stupid things I've done in the past, and have done a lot of maturing since then. However, in my several oral interviews, I have never been invited to continue past the oral stage. Is there something there that is really a red flag that I'm somewhat looking over? Or is it just possible that my personality/ answers just haven't connected with the panels that I've interviewed with?

Becoming a police officer has been something that I've been passionate about for a long time. However, I have let discouragement from being passed over get me down each time, and then I don't do anything else for a year or more. At my age, I need to figure out if this is something that is still possible for me, or if I'll be wasting my time due to something that I cannot get rid of (like, in my past.)

Thanks for your honesty,
    Ryan
    Ryan, I read your post twice to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I don't see anything in your "past" which would be a disqualifier. Your degree, age, and employment history are what many departments are looking for. Oral Boards/interviews can be hard to figure. If I had a sure fire method for passing one, I'd write the definitive book and make a million bucks. While I can understand your disappointment, I urge you not to beat yourself up over not passing an Oral Board. There are lots of cops out there right now, who've failed one. I have the sense you know and practice all the advice about selling yourself, dressing appropriately, being punctual, all that. Do an honest self assessment, (which ain't beating yourself up,) and try to see where you might be dropping the ball. In the meantime, I have a couple of thoughts that might help you. Don't limit yourself to one or two agencies, or type of agencies. Southern California is "rich" in police agencies. Look into the possibility of entering a Reserve Officer program. Keep trying, and sincerely, good luck.

Comment

I concur with what was said, and there are no red flags that could keep you from being hired. I have been through and given many oral boards in my career. It could be a number of things as to why you weren't asked back... an answer you gave they didn't like, or maybe the shirt you were wearing they didn't like. Who knows? But I would say just keep pushing forward and I'm sure you'll get picked up at some point. Good luck.
      You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10946 users online. 469 members and 10477 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X