300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniformed Divison Officer inquiry

I received a call today from the head of the Secret Service department in my home state. He informed me that he received my application package and would like to have a sit down with me for the prelim interview. I submitted my application about 2-3 weeks ago. Is it just me, or is that an unusually fast response(judging from what I have read on the forums)? It probably helped that I did an internship with the US Marshals Service whose headquarters was a couple doors down from the USSS office.

Regardless, what should I expect in this prelim interview? Dress attire? I obviously wouldn't dress like a bum, but, dress pants and suit jacket?

Any advice would be astounding. The interview is at the end of the week.

Edit: PM's are also welcomed, I fully comprehend the idea of keeping things confidential.
    Last edited by ONUalum; 01-06-2009, 10:34 PM. Reason: Additional information

Originally posted by ONUalum View Post
    I received a call today from the head of the Secret Service department in my home state. He informed me that he received my application package and would like to have a sit down with me for the prelim interview. I submitted my application about 2-3 weeks ago. Is it just me, or is that an unusually fast response(judging from what I have read on the forums)? It probably helped that I did an internship with the US Marshals Service whose headquarters was a couple doors down from the USSS office.

Regardless, what should I expect in this prelim interview? Dress attire? I obviously wouldn't dress like a bum, but, dress pants and suit jacket?

Any advice would be astounding. The interview is at the end of the week.

Edit: PM's are also welcomed, I fully comprehend the idea of keeping things confidential.

Considering that we are only two weeks away from the inauguration, i would say that is pretty quick.

dress attire for anything with them should always be a suit unless they stipulate otherwise, which if i remember correctly, they never did

Comment

Wear a suit, absolutely.

In my experience, some offices do have a quick turnaround time for initial interviews. Keep in mind, that it is not a formal interview and you are not even started the process yet. They are probably just going to generally discuss the job and "feel you out" to see if you understand what you are getting yourself into, i.e., academy, moving to DC, standing foot posts outside in freezing or hot weather, etc.

Once the process starts, then the real waiting time begins.
      Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Always wear a suit and tie at every meeting unless otherwise directed.

Comment

That is basically what it was, just a introduction to the UD.

We set up the test in two weeks, specifically, on the 22nd.

Comment

Wear a suit and be early. Make sure your forms are completed as you get there. Have your ID with you. The test is basic but takes a while. At my test they graded and weed'd out the failures. Afterwards, they interview passing applicants and give you a bunch of forms to complete before your next interview. Interview is low key, don't sweat it. Good Luck!
            trainee

Comment

What is UD's work schedule like ????

Comment

I think it just depends on how busy thye are at the moment. I hand delivered my app. to the local FO and was scheduled for an initial interview the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  5 on 2 off.

Plan to have Mon/Tue off as "weekend", will take a few years to get a piece of the real weekend.

Also, plan to work a lot of OT...sometimes forced days off and extra OT per regular shift.
                  +1 for my brother alum of the UD.

I will say that when I graduated I was given Saturday and Sunday as my days off and was assigned to Foreign Missions right out of the academy. Unfortunately I was transferred to the White House after about 8 months. With the transfer to the White House went my days off. Tuesday and Wednesday became my days off. The UD was attempting to make the newbees happy and that was the reason for the days off and the FMB assignment.

As far as days off, Tues and Wed weren't the greatest but you make it work. I worked evenings however and my shift ended just as the night life was cranking up in the District. So it did not really matter that I worked Friday and Saturday because you were out in time to go out.

You will work your share of OT whether you like it or not. Great job if you get in, keep your head down, do your time, and then get into a specialized unit. You dont want to stand post forever.

Comment

What forms are needed to apply?

Comment

Originally posted by kevcc36 View Post
                      What forms are needed to apply?
                      http://www.secretservice.gov/forms/form_apply_ud.pdf

Fill out those forms and then contact your local field office and they will direct you to either bring them to the office or provide you with an address to mail them to. It is best to not email the forms to the email address on the USSS website because it will delay your process.

For more information, to include field office contact information go to this website:

http://www.secretservice.gov/opportunities_ud.shtml
                      Last edited by jimdvs; 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I was down in DC this weekend and spoke to a number of UD guys. Everyone of them was open and honest. They were a great bunch of guys. The 2 biggest things I heard over and over: A high level of turn over. I am talking 15-20 guys a month. And, all though your title is cool every where else in the country, in DC, you are a piece of dog doo! As long as you go in knowing you are standing guard for 8 + hours a day, you should be fine. The turn over is high because I was told they get alot of 21 year old college guys who think they are going in and blowing doors down and killing bad guys are shocked when they just stand there doing nothing. Like I said, they were a great bunch of guys. One guy even gave me a ride back to my hotel when his shift ended and spoke off the record, his take: It's great for what it is, a federal job with a nice paycheck.
                        You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!!

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDog24 View Post
                          And, all though your title is cool every where else in the country, in DC, you are a piece of dog doo!
                          hahahahah, so true.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDog24 View Post
                            IAs long as you go in knowing you are standing guard for 8 + hours a day, you should be fine. The turn over is high because I was told they get alot of 21 year old college guys who think they are going in and blowing doors down and killing bad guys are shocked when they just stand there doing nothing.
                            Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner!!!!!!!!

Just look here at the o.com threads.

We have a ton of folks that think the FAMs, USSS-UD, US Park, US Cap, FPS, PFPA, are the "sh it jobs" based on what they have seen on TV or some strange since that the name sounds cool....it must be a cool job..... And that's not the freaking case!!

Lots of jobs are security based and/or jobs that have little or no excitment to them. You get paid well and perhaps get to travel some....but that's it.

About 2 weeks ago, a former PFPA employee was banned from the site because he came on here mouthing about PFPA. After talking to him....guess what....? He had ABSOLUTELY KNOW FREAKING IDEA WHAT PFPA DID.....but thought it was a cool job....so he went through the hiring processes, made it through FLETC....then started working the job and realized that he'd be standing a post for a while before he ever made to another section.....and starting crying like a baby.....

Some of the folks on here need to contact folks that are actually doing the job....research, research, research the positions.....and figure out if it's a fit for them before they try to get hired on with a particular agency....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post

Some of the folks on here need to contact folks that are actually doing the job....research, research, research the positions.....and figure out if it's a fit for them before they try to get hired on with a particular agency....
                              Speaking from my own perspective: Take a trip to D.C. and speak to as many guys as you can. I am not talking about hanging around just the White house for an hour. Go to all the areas the UD are stationed at different times of the day when there are different shifts. It's easy to just go to the White house and speak to the guys standing outside, but if you do, remember they are standing there in the freezing cold for 8 + hours while other guys are inside nice and toasty. I am sure you will get different opinions.

Remember, for most of us, this is a life changing decision. I know I would do as much research myself and not rely soley on forums.
                              Last edited by DevilDog24; 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM.
                              You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8364 users online. 392 members and 7972 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X