300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice, Border Patrol, Scheduling Written

Well, I'm looking to apply for Border Patrol. After much thought, I've realized this is something that I'd love to do. The "why's" are not necessary to explain right now. The thing is, I'm in a predicament, and I'd love some advice on what to do.

Looking to take the BP written test as soon as possible. I start a new job in late January where I'll be flying across the country for 2 weeks of training.

Here are my options:

1) I have the option to take the written test Jan. 13th or 16th. Unfortunately, one of the test locations is 'compressed' so if I pass, I'll be scheduled for an oral board during a time when I'd either be across the country, or I'll be back but have no time to take off from work seeing as this is a new job.

2) I can ALSO travel 8 hours to Erie, PA to take written in a NON-compressed location. This would be the best option. BUT, I have a car that might not make it there b/c its a POS (actually looking at new cars, but I'm not rushing the car-buying process right now) or I can take a train, but the total costs would be about $170, then 1 night hotel stay, so like $300 just for the written.

3) Just wait until March 23rd to take the test. No problems if I do that.

I would just LOVE to get the process started quicker. On the other hand, I currently have landed a job that pays $60k (not thrilled about the work, but $60k is $60k) and I'm living with my parents with 0 debt, and 0 expenses other than cell phone, car insurance, etc. so I'll be able to save up some $ before hopefully getting into the academy.

What do u guys think I should do ???
    Last edited by ProTrader; 01-03-2009, 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

If i take a compressed test, pass, and get scheduled for the oral board, will I be able to reschedule the oral board ??

Comment

Answer to your question protrader is NO. Go the compressed testing route! Good luck.
      There are two freedoms, the false is where one is free to do what he likes, and true where one is free to do what he ought. -Charles Kingsley.

HONOR FIRST!

Comment

Originally posted by phillystactical View Post
        Answer to your question protrader is NO. Go the compressed testing route! Good luck.
        no, meaning I can't reschedule ? That means I can't do compressed testing b/c I won't be able to make the oral board date if its early to mid Febuary

Comment

Also, if you're in Conn., would it be easier to go to Buffalo rather than Erie for testing? It's a compressed location.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan3461 View Post
            Also, if you're in Conn., would it be easier to go to Buffalo rather than Erie for testing? It's a compressed location.
            Yes Buffalo is an option, about the same distance, maybe Buffalo is an hour shorter. I haven't taken a look at the travel arrangements for Buffalo yet though. I'm more concerned about whether compressed testing for me is feasible since I wouldn't be able to attend an oral board until late Febuary.

But back to my question, will I be able to defer my oral board for about 4 weeks if i test compressed ?

Comment

I'd wait until March. You're only talking of saving 6 weeks...give or take. Not much will likely change between Jan. and Mar. with regards to hiring, IMO.

Use the time to pick up whatever experience you can at the new job and prepare yourself for the changeover.

Comment

So nobody knows if I can reschedle an oral board by up to 4-6 weeks ?

Comment

There is a phone number and email address on the bottom of the vacancy announcement on USAJOBS.

The problem with resheduling the OB is that it is done by BPA's. Often, the agents have traveled from other areas of the country to do a handfull of OB's. They aren't going to send agents back just to do yours, so you may be waiting for a while. That being said, once you pass the written test, all the other steps are independent of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                    There is a phone number and email address on the bottom of the vacancy announcement on USAJOBS.

The problem with resheduling the OB is that it is done by BPA's. Often, the agents have traveled from other areas of the country to do a handfull of OB's. They aren't going to send agents back just to do yours, so you may be waiting for a while. That being said, once you pass the written test, all the other steps are independent of each other.
                    Okay, thanks Mad Chicken. This is the answer I've been looking for. I guess I'll just be putting it on hold for the time being then.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8590 users online. 419 members and 8171 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X