300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Salary Issues...

I am looking for some quasi legal help or knowledgeable opinions. I work for a municipal agency of 115 sworn officers. We are not a union and have discovered that over the last 3 years the city has raised the starting salary each year until it is 12.5% higher than it was in 2005. The problem is that there has been no base pay increase across the board. So here we have a situation where a 6 year officer only makes 450 dollars more a year than a newly hired officer. The Chief does not appear eager to assist us. Other than the resounding call for a union any advice for what can be done about this issue? Can this legally happen? Anyone ever faced a similar situation? I am a pretty understanding and logical guy, but this just does not seem fair. Do you agree or am I out of line? Obviously, I am thankful to have a job but I still feel a little used and unappreciated. Thanks for the serious helpful input.

---Ben
    Last edited by benjaminfs733; 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM.

Originally posted by benjaminfs733 View Post
    I am looking for some quasi legal help or knowledgeable opinions. I work for a municipal agency of 115 sworn officers. We are not a union and have discovered that over the last 3 years the city has raised the starting salary each year until it is 12.5% higher than it was in 2005. The problem is that there has been no base pay increase across the board. So here we have a situation where a 6 year officer only makes 450 dollars more a year than a newly hired officer. The Chief does not appear eager to assist us. Other than the resounding call for a union any advice for what can be done about this issue? Can this legally happen? Anyone ever faced a similar situation? I am a pretty understanding and logical guy, but this just does not seem fair. Do you agree or am I out of line? Obviously, I am thankful to have a job but I still feel a little used and unappreciated. Thanks for the serious helpful input.

---Ben

No, it's not fair. But legal, yes. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it. Are other dept in your area experiencing similar jumps in starting salary? If so, jump on that gravy train.

Comment

It's called the BLUE FLU..................
      "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
      German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Originally posted by England View Post
        No, it's not fair. But legal, yes. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it. Are other dept in your area experiencing similar jumps in starting salary? If so, jump on that gravy train.
        Unfortunately there are not any other options for other agencies. I thought about quitting and getting hired again, it would increase my pay in the long run, ha.

Comment

benjaminfs733: This is a common problem in the southeast where an agency will increase the starting salary greater than the annual pay raise for the current LEO. This results in pay compression where experience LEO are paid very little more than newly hired LEO. This often leads to poor retention within an agency.

This is not a violation of the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) which is the base federal law governing pay issues.

This agency was fortunate in that we enacted a pay plan in 2005. A LEO has a pay scale which is adjusted every July 1st. It has helped to eliminate the pay compression problem. I am disappointed that this did not cause other agencies in our state to adopt a similar pay plan.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7599 users online. 365 members and 7234 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X