Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Federal agencies that don't age discriminate??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Federal agencies that don't age discriminate??

I am a 40 year old male and I've been a police officer for 20 years. I am finally getting my BS in Criminal Justice and wanted to apply to federal agencies as a special agent. Unfortunately, its seems that if you are over 37 you can't apply. Does anybody know if there are any fed agencies that don't age discriminate?

Originally posted by lawdog89 View Post
    I am a 40 year old male and I've been a police officer for 20 years. I am finally getting my BS in Criminal Justice and wanted to apply to federal agencies as a special agent. Unfortunately, its seems that if you are over 37 you can't apply. Does anybody know if there are any fed agencies that don't age discriminate?

VA, DoD, FPS, U.S. Mint, PFPA, BIA, CIA, FBI, GPO, USPS, and many of other agencies have uniformed LEO's who fall outside of 6C/12D retirement.

I don't know of any "Special Agents" uncovered, but after all...it's only a title.

Comment

I've been told, (haven't confirmed) that if you've served in the military as military police or similar, you can be hired past 37.

Not what a person in human resources from DEA told me though. Although a co-worker told me she is in the process and they have waived her age of 41 as she is a prior security police officer.

Any one else with factual info?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lucky View Post
        I've been told, (haven't confirmed) that if you've served in the military as military police or similar, you can be hired past 37.

Not what a person in human resources from DEA told me though. Although a co-worker told me she is in the process and they have waived her age of 41 as she is a prior security police officer.

I know where I'm at its 37 or bust, the only way I'VE been told you can get around this, is if you have PRIOR Fed LE (6C covered) time which you subtract from your age, I guess you could say your clock stops at the age your hired in a way... So if your BOP and 44 with 12 years on your really your good to go.
        You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

Secondary

The age issue is troubling for some on its face, but remember that waiver is available for certain veterans. Additionally, I believe secondary, read supervisory, positions are not age restrictive at 37. Border Patrol may be 40 instead of 37.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Boseesq View Post
            The age issue is troubling for some on its face, but remember that waiver is available for certain veterans. Additionally, I believe secondary, read supervisory, positions are not age restrictive at 37. Border Patrol may be 40 instead of 37.

Best of luck!
            Yeah your right about Border Patrol, it is 40 but good luck spending 6 months in Artesia....

But the chances of getting a supervisory position without already being in the agency or have CITP is pretty slim.... unless you get an SES position.
            You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

But the chances of getting a supervisory position without already being in the agency or have CITP is pretty slim.... unless you get an SES position.
              Those SESers are the only people I've ever seen come on board directly without having served as a "grunt" agent - and they're often so high up the food chain that it really doesn't matter, anyway (like the head of an agency).
              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MSPB Ruling

Originally posted by 2Lucky View Post

You may want to read this thread;
                http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95774

Comment

Originally posted by lawdog89 View Post
                  Maybe it's just me but I have a problem with the word discriminate in this context. It's an age limit. Semantics? Perhaps, but the position is geared towards younger persons and rightfully so. When an agent reaches his late 40s and then into his 50's, s/he starts to feel it. Most are not going to be able to get into lengthy foot chases like younger agents or have the "vim and vigor" of an agent 10-20 years his junior. I know at 57, I'll definitely be ready for retirement (if not sooner).
                  They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                    Maybe it's just me but I have a problem with the word discriminate in this context.
                    Its not just you.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I have a problem with the word discriminate in this context. It's an age limit. Semantics? Perhaps, but the position is geared towards younger persons and rightfully so. When an agent reaches his late 40s and then into his 50's, s/he starts to feel it. Most are not going to be able to get into lengthy foot chases like younger agents or have the "vim and vigor" of an agent 10-20 years his junior. I know at 57, I'll definitely be ready for retirement (if not sooner).
                      +1. I'll probably go at 50: I feel old now as it is .
                      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Please folks for the sake of accuracy could we all please stop talking about getting hired "over 37". It's not correct, the issue is getting hired "over 36" because the day of a person's 37th birthday they are too old, because they must be "younger than 37 at the time of appointment." (Example: http://www.atf.gov/careers/special-a...ifications.htm)

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
                          Please folks for the sake of accuracy could we all please stop talking about getting hired "over 37". It's not correct, the issue is getting hired "over 36" because the day of a person's 37th birthday they are too old, because they must be "younger than 37 at the time of appointment." (Example: http://www.atf.gov/careers/special-a...ifications.htm)
                          Not entirely true, they were "swearing" in people over the phone in my agency to get them on board the day of their 37th birthday.

Comment

What's the big deal? It appears the agency(s) can simply follow the law and hire until 40 if they choose.

"Provisions of Public Law 93-950 and 100-238 allow the imposition of a maximum age for initial appointment to a law enforcement position covered by Title 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) or Title 5 U.S.C. 8412(d) with the federal government. The date immediately preceding an applicant`s 40th birthday is the final date for selection."

Comment

Originally posted by spookysco View Post
                              What's the big deal? It appears the agency(s) can simply follow the law and hire until 40 if they choose.

"Provisions of Public Law 93-950 and 100-238 allow the imposition of a maximum age for initial appointment to a law enforcement position covered by Title 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) or Title 5 U.S.C. 8412(d) with the federal government. The date immediately preceding an applicant`s 40th birthday is the final date for selection."
                              Who knows, its the FEDs

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8618 users online. 418 members and 8200 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X