300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview question

you are at a convience store robbery and your partner takes something without paying for it. what do you do?

now i would say talk to him and tell him to pay for it or i will go to our supervisor.

they say, "you would ruin a guys career over a candy bar?"

i say, "he put me in a situation where i had to choose between his friendship and my morals."

what is the right answer to this question??

thanks guys!

Originally posted by mikeCPD View Post
    you are at a convience store robbery and your partner takes something without paying for it. what do you do?

now i would say talk to him and tell him to pay for it or i will go to our supervisor.

i say, "he put me in a situation where i had to choose between his friendship and my morals."

thanks guys!
    I think you're on the right track. But you aren't only choosing between his friendship and your morals. You are also choosing between his friendship and the law, which goes above everything else.

Comment

Isn't this the third or fourth time you posed this question?

"Some things are wrong and they are always wrong"

"Integrity is what you do when no one else is looking"

Apparently your partner has little regard for his own oath, and the same for your sense of duty.

RKT
      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

If I was on your board I would want an honest answer, not a scripted one you think they wanted to hear.

Comment

The question is straight out of Ethics Classes. The next series of questions are what should be asked. So he takes a candy bar. Value less than $1. You won't report him because you don't want to ruin his career for $1. What if he took a candy bar and coffee, value of $2? Would you report him for $2? Or what if he also took a newspaper? Total value now $3, would you still not report him? What if you were on a call at a tire store and he took a tire with a value of $79? Would you report him then? What about a set of tires at $400? The questions are from ethics to determine at what level do you think it's OK to take something without paying for it before you decide to report it. $1? $5? $400? What if your wife just lost her job and she was making more money than you which resulted in your household income dropping 60% and you don't know how you're going to make ends meet or pay for food for your kids? Would it be OK then to overlook taking the $1000 from the drug dealer? At what dollar amount is it OK with you for someone to take something that doesn't belong to them?
          183 FBINA

Comment

someone who takes things w/o paying for them

(esp. while acting under the cover of law) represents a significant and substantial liability to your department - you have to think not only about that guy's career but the damage such an individual could do to your agency (i.e., think reputation among other damage) and to the cases your department brings to the S/A - this has the potential to endanger every criminal case he ever worked on (could you imagine what a defense attorney could do on appeal with knowledge of this officer's past conduct if this ever came to light?).

I understand the sense of responsibility you or I might have for a fellow brother, but our greater responsibility is to protect our department. Also, if someone takes something small w/o paying for it, why would anyone think that person would refrain from taking something more substantial if presented with the opportunity? It's like people who lie about "little things" - if they lie about "little things," isn't it more likely they'll lie about more substantial things in order to avoid greater consequences? I'm thinking specifically about a former Commander-in-Chief, but I digress...

And, of course, from an ethical & legal perspective it's simply wrong/criminal to steal - regardless of the amount.

I would hate "ending someone's career" probably as much as anyone, but that type of conduct means that the guy in question just needs to find another career (in addition to recalibrating his moral compass).
            Last edited by ilparkcop; 12-28-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeCPD View Post

thanks guys!
              From another thread:
              Also make sure you ALWAYS put the departments interest first. The typical question of "You see another officer steal a candy bar from a store while you are there on a burglary call, what do you do?" is actually a very simple one. You would tell the officer you saw what he did, and you have no choice but to notify your supervisor immediately. You just observed a crime and you can not overlook that. And it places the department in a bad position. Most stores have cameras, and if they find out about it and you did not report it, you would also be fired along with the officer for failing to report the crime. get the idea? Other officers do not pay your rent or put food in your families’ mouth. You do not cover for anyone, you take care of yourself and the department. The days of cover-ups and stuff like that are gone, about 20 years ago.

From this thread:
              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107697

NEVER COVER OR LIE. Who will pay your bills when you get fired for lying? ETHICS is not a word from the past.
              Police Academy Commander
              Lead Firearms Instructor
              35+ years as a cop
              Becoming a Police Officer
              So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8758 users online. 472 members and 8286 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X