Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling on all opinions on my background...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling on all opinions on my background...

First off, I've been peeking at this site for a while and can trust I will get an honest answer here. Secondly, as you already know I'm requesting professional opinions on how I look now and can look in the near future as a police recruit candidate (on paper of course). I'll start with my EDUCATION: H.S. diploma with below average to average grades. I was a very unmotivated student. Intillegent but lazy. Ive recently enrolled in the local community college and have but hungrier than ever to hit the books. Im pursuing a CJ degree(2 year first). Maybe a four year down the road. WORK HISTORY: From the age of 17 to 21 , I've had 7 odd jobs between roofing, cashier etc.I stole money from my first employer twice when i was 16 working as a cashier. I was fired from one job for breaking a policy of leaving premises on breaks. Two weeks later I celebrated my 20th birthday a day late, had some drinks went to the shore and was arrested for an underage dui(did not blow over limit just couldnt not have any alcohol in my system for my age). Thats the only criminal issue on the record. Back to my job history...I had to change my mindset on life and work. I did. Kinda. I went and got a security guard position and it was good. I still had to much time on my hands being that I did not want to go to college so I got a second security job where i did the 2nd and 3rd shfts on the weekends. I worked 72 hours not counting the overtime i got. I was burnt out after 3 months and lost both jobs one after another for tardiness and lack of concentration. Thats my 3 terminations. Mad at myself, I was still driven. With many summers and a few good years in roofing with pops, I decided to open my own company in south florida at 22 y/o. Not uncommon in my bloodline. Honest, hungry and skilled I was sucessful over the last 3 years until our nations finacial collapse. So I moved with my love to middle tennessee and was hired (still waiting to start academy) for tennessee state c/o position. My DRIVING RECORD: Underage DUI 5.5 years ago, handful of speeding tickets from age 17 to 21.Minor suspension since then. Now the issue, DRUG HISTORY: From the age 17 to 24 I smoked MJ 65 to 85 times, cocaine 5 times and possibly a narcotic pain killer once(NOTperscribed) about 6-7 years ago. Now my question is...Do I have a chance? Is my drug use history as big of a concern as I think it is?(Ive stopped smoking MJ a year ago, Havent touched the other stuff in 2 years) How much will the c/o background and an associates in CJ help if any? Job History?(owned business very young plus c/o work) Underage dui?(No tickets in 5 years).....Thank you for taking the time to read this and i would appreciate your response on all issues and my chances.
    Last edited by Fear n Perform; 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM. Reason: clerical

Is this post a joke?

Comment

I am no means anyone to listen to, but in my opinion it seems that you do have a large drug history that was pretty recent. I would guess that large PD's like lvmpd, lapd, or nypd that have a lot of appicants would not hire you. I am worried about my drug use and all i have done was smoke marijuana regularly in high school 9 years ago. Im sure a person with experience will give you more accurate assesment. This is just my uneducated opinion. Maybe the smaller department would give you more consideration.

Comment

The only way I personally think you would stand a chance is to get a 4 year degree and keep a minimum of two jobs after college and then i would say think about it in 10 years. If ten years go by and you are an upstanding citizen with no criminal accusations and a track record of full time employment I say you may stand a chance. But as of right now, I would say no. Give it some time with clean and sober life style. Prove to society that what was in your past was the immature you and that you had not found a path in life, then someone may give you a chance.

Comment

Thanks for your time....
          Last edited by Fear n Perform; 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM.

Comment

My opinion is you have virtually ZERO chance right now..

You smoked MJ last year (and were not just an experimental users) and did cocaine 2 years ago.
            Your driving record is not good.
            You work history is bad as you were fired 3 times and stole from your employer.
            You only have a high school diploma and had below average grades.
            About the only thing you didnt mention was your credit.

I would put YEARS between the drug use and applying, get a degree, and keep a steady job for years. Then you might have a slim shot..

Good luck

Comment

What would be the safest amount of years from drug use before applying? the earliest to apply? With a degree of course.

Comment

This can't be a serious post. There is no way ANY respectable agency will ever hire you with a past like that.

Comment

Your best chance to ever carry a gun is in the Marines.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse but you really don't have a chance. It sucks but that is just the way it is. The one thing I can tell you is to try anyways because you never know what will happen. Just go into it knowing that because of your past your chances arent good. Good Luck.

Comment

The number of times you smoked marijuana and the fact that you touched a drug other than marijuana (most of which are considered even more serious) are probably going to DQ you from most agencies. It's hard to sell the other issues (underage DUI, stealing from employer) as you just being immature when you combine it with all that drug use. Doesn't paint a good overall picture.

You may have a chance after 5-10 years if you are squeaky clean and hold a solid job.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still serious about this post!!!I can carry a gun on my present job while on certain posts.......I could also get a armed guard position, or just carry around my property to feel it...wow...ITS NOT ABOUT CARRYING GTIAPR3....Also on quite a few background standards that ARE LISTED from many departments in florida its 3 years removed from MJ, 5 years from any thing harder. Nashville metro states 7 years removed from cocaine while never uses more than 5 times. With that being said, After a degree and steady employment, STILL no tickets since 21, wait the 5-7 years removed.....a decent chance? or Are the departments still going to be far removed from considering me when they post things like that?

Comment

I would say a degree YES, 7-10 years of solid employment with no slip ups. And you might have a chance. Never say never.

Comment

Even assuming that there's a department willing to overlook a past like that, you'll still be competing with a lot of applicants who haven't screwed up that badly.

I don't see it happening easily. Most likely never, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fear n Perform View Post
                              First off, I've been peeking at this site for a while and can trust I will get an honest answer here. Secondly, as you already know I'm requesting professional opinions on how I look now and can look in the near future as a police recruit candidate (on paper of course). I'll start with my EDUCATION: H.S. diploma with below average to average grades. I was a very unmotivated student. Intillegent but lazy. Ive recently enrolled in the local community college and have but hungrier than ever to hit the books. Im pursuing a CJ degree(2 year first). Maybe a four year down the road. WORK HISTORY: From the age of 17 to 21 , I've had 7 odd jobs between roofing, cashier etc.I stole money from my first employer twice when i was 16 working as a cashier. I was fired from one job for breaking a policy of leaving premises on breaks. Two weeks later I celebrated my 20th birthday a day late, had some drinks went to the shore and was arrested for an underage dui(did not blow over limit just couldnt not have any alcohol in my system for my age). Thats the only criminal issue on the record. Back to my job history...I had to change my mindset on life and work. I did. Kinda. I went and got a security guard position and it was good. I still had to much time on my hands being that I did not want to go to college so I got a second security job where i did the 2nd and 3rd shfts on the weekends. I worked 72 hours not counting the overtime i got. I was burnt out after 3 months and lost both jobs one after another for tardiness and lack of concentration. Thats my 3 terminations. Mad at myself, I was still driven. With many summers and a few good years in roofing with pops, I decided to open my own company in south florida at 22 y/o. Not uncommon in my bloodline. Honest, hungry and skilled I was sucessful over the last 3 years until our nations finacial collapse. So I moved with my love to middle tennessee and was hired (still waiting to start academy) for tennessee state c/o position. My DRIVING RECORD: Underage DUI 5.5 years ago, handful of speeding tickets from age 17 to 21.Minor suspension since then. Now the issue, DRUG HISTORY: From the age 17 to 24 I smoked MJ 65 to 85 times, cocaine 5 times and possibly a narcotic pain killer once(NOTperscribed) about 6-7 years ago. Now my question is...Do I have a chance? Is my drug use history as big of a concern as I think it is?(Ive stopped smoking MJ a year ago, Havent touched the other stuff in 2 years) How much will the c/o background and an associates in CJ help if any? Job History?(owned business very young plus c/o work) Underage dui?(No tickets in 5 years).....Thank you for taking the time to read this and i would appreciate your response on all issues and my chances.
                              Why would you post explicit detail information about your background on a public forum? I can't tell you how many LE candidates for CBP and ICE were not hired or removed because of postings on LE forums or Social Networking forums.
                              I believe forgiveness is Gods function; my job is to simply arrange the meeting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10320 users online. 448 members and 9872 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X