300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it even worth a try?

I am in the military and separate in about 9 months. I am really interested in joining law enforcement. My first choice would be LVMPD. I am going to fly out there Jan 12 for the testing process. The only problem I have is that when I was in High School I smoked marijuana regularly, meaning like every weekend and sometimes on weekdays. I have never tried any other drugs and have not smoke marijuana for around 9 years.

I feel well qualified. I am separating honorably, am a senior in college working on my criminal justice undergraduate degree, and am in special operations in the military. I am just unsure of the marijuana usage since it was not experimental.

Is there any PD's that will overlook my past and judge me for my recent experiences? I really don't want to fly out there just to be disqualified.
    Last edited by capaladj; 12-17-2008, 01:26 PM.

i would say its worth a shot. if you are honest and tell them everything from the get go, i think you should be fine. it will help that you also have military and are finishing school. if all you had was a high school diploma, then it might work against you. my advice would to be honest and tell them what they wanna here.

Comment

Originally posted by capaladj View Post
      I am in the military and separate in about 9 months. I am really interested in joining law enforcement. My first choice would be LVMPD. I am going to fly out there Jan 12 for the testing process. The only problem I have is that when I was in High School I smoked marijuana regularly, meaning like every weekend and sometimes on weekdays. I have never tried any other drugs and have not smoke marijuana for around 9 years.

I feel well qualified. I am separating honorably, am a senior in college working on my criminal justice undergraduate degree, and am in special operations in the military. I am just unsure of the marijuana usage since it was not experimental.

Is there any PD's that will overlook my past and judge me for my recent experiences? I really don't want to fly out there just to be disqualified.
      We have one or two LVMPD Officers on the Board. Hopefully, they could provide you with the information you desire. LVMPD also has a website which can be accessed via Officer.com. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the optimistic reply's. I will try anyway.

Comment

I am an LVMPD officer, and I would say that you have a decent shot because of your most recent achievements. I would try and nail down a solid number of times that you actually smoked marijuana. The number will be high but it's a question you will be asked. Check out www.protectthecity.com, you should be able to find the number to our recruiting office. Call a recruiter and ask if your marijuana usage would be an issue.

Comment

I will call and ask them tomorrow. Thank you. I was reading the polygraph questionaire on protectthecity.com and it did ask how many times I smoked marijuana and I don't even know where to start because I don't think I can put a number on it.

Comment

I would say that it wouldn't be a big deal given what your about now. Its not like your using hardcore drugs... whats the difference if you only smoked 5 times or 105 times....As long as your honest and tell them hey i can't really put a number on it... if i had to i would say 100+. I bet a lot of people on this dept have smoked weed back in high school... it is what it is... at least if they say no you would know why....just apply... what have you got to lose... just be HONEST!

Comment

I would say that it wouldn't be a big deal given what your about now. Its not like your using hardcore drugs... whats the difference if you only smoked 5 times or 105 times....As long as your honest and tell them hey i can't really put a number on it... if i had to i would say 100+. I bet a lot of people on this dept have smoked weed back in high school... it is what it is... at least if they say no you would know why....just apply... what have you got to lose... just be HONEST!

Comment

i yeah i am going to apply see what happens. the only thing i am going to lose is the price of a plane ticket. also i'd probably kick myself for not trying when i get older.

Comment

A lot of it depends on how many years ago the usage occured. The more recent, the worse it appears. Good luck.

Comment

Hopefully the PD will note your recent qualifications and maturity and take in account that the MJ use was nearly a decade ago. You've done a lot to better yourself since then. Hammer that point.

It's worth a try, or two, or three! It took me over 5 apps and nearly 10 years to finally get the "you're hired" call . . . worth the wait and numerous tries brother.

Spread your apps around for better odds.
                      Focused Recruit

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. I would like to put my applications in with multiple departments, but since I am stationed in FL I can't fly out to the west coast for every test and board. Im trying to figure out which agency is best for me to apply to first and i'll go from there. My top four agencies are LVMPD, NLVPD, Henderson PD, then the LAPD.

Comment

Is it worth a try??

Well this seems like a good question....lol Is it worth a try? Just want to see what most of you officers think. I have tried to live a good life, and have made some mistakes, nothing ever serious, but just dumb choices, and seems that this being my "dream job" it might just be that, a dream....These are the issues....
                          1996 - arrested for assault domestic violance with first wife, case dismissed and thrown out, she told Police that I did not do anything but they took me anyway

1997 - speeding ticket, improper lane change, invalid address on DL

Dec 1997 - got out of the Army on a chapter, got a general under honorable conditions discharge for being a meat head SPC and making dumb mistakes. nothing serious, just dumb stuff, no Art 15 or court martial

1998 put myself through police academy, got a job in a SO in Patrol, made some more meat head mistakes, speeding to calls, complaints from dispatchers, just dumb things, was under a year, asked to resign.....

2000 - 2008 joined Army again, made it all the way to SSG, went on deployment in 2007 to Iraq, second wife cheated on me while deployed, so there I was upset and hung out with people my age, and one was a 1LT I knew from before deployment, we fell in love, and got caught talking, we both got Art 15s, I lost one stripe back to SGT, and now I am getting put out again, Gen, Under Honorable conditions for this. She got put out too.....West Point Grad and all....

2002 - got back from Afghan and was out with uncle, had two drinks, and left the bar, got pulled over right there, blew a .82 on test and charged with DUI. paid my fines got DL back, no tickets since

Never did illegal drugs, do not drink anymore, still with the 1LT as we are both out of the Army, She got a job with the local PD and she got the same discharge, but she is a "SHE" and we know how that goes. Going through the process of getting my certification back. What I mean by that is when I resigned from the SO they put on my form that goes to POST I was fired, but I resigned, so they sent another form to POST saying I resigned. Well POST wanted to investigate all this, and I was already back in the Army and not around to answer qustions, so they just suspended my cert. So now I have to appeal, and go through the process to get it back.

But is it worth it? Do you all think I can ever get a job in LE? being through all this crap, seems gloom and doom to me....

Comment

seems like a lot of stuff on your record, but it does suck that a person can be of good character and his trivial mistakes that can be made by anyone, affect him from getting a job that he would be good at.

Comment

seems like a lot of stuff on your record, but it does suck that a person can be of good character and his trivial mistakes that can be made by anyone, affect him from getting a job that he would be good at.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10556 users online. 475 members and 10081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X