300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willy14 View Post
    If an 1811 position hired people over 37, would you be able to lateral over to another 1811 agency that doesn't do that?
    Well this has been discussed in the past also. First the age limit is not specific to the 1811 job series, it's based on whether the job is "covered" by the special LE/firefighter/ATC retirement. For example a buddy of mine worked for Border Patrol until he was 38, and then got hired as an 1811 with another agency, and was able to do that because BPAs are in "covered" jobs.

2nd, I won't pretend to be the final authority on the subject, but my research says the answer to your question is "no." Again, check with the HR at specific agencies, for specific answers. Meaning if you are thinking about taking a "covered" job with Border Patrol after your 37th birthday (which means "over 36" not 37) in hopes of making a move over to an 1811 job with the DEA for example, then you better check with DEA to make sure that is possible, or if you are thinking about taking a job with USSS-UD to get an 1811 job with USSS then you should also check to make sure that's possible.

Again, in helping friends that were hoping to come over to the feds my limited research on the question asked shows the answer is no. But do your own due diligence on that matter.

I do know some agencies, like AFOSI, were hiring people as 1811s after their 37th birthday. However, those hires were not "covered" by the special LE/firefighter/ATC retirement, and therefore could not transfer to other "covered" jobs.

Comment

I won't pretend to be the final authority on the subject, but my research says the answer to your question is "no."
      Ditto. Remember that if you get hired at age 40 with the Border Patrol (for example) any agency you hope to "lateral" to later will have to agree to allow you to work until age 60, which most - from what I've seen - won't even do for the people they already have, let alone for someone coming in from the outside. Not unless you're bringing something VERY specific and unique to the table.

Your best hope to follow this kind of route is for some kind of across-the-board legislation changing everyone's age limits, not just the individual agencies granting temporary waivers like the BP or like the FAMS did in the past. Individual agencies and FLEOA will likely fight this, however, because it will likely move the earliest date that agents can retire back, which wouldn't be very popular.
      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Individual agencies and FLEOA will likely fight this, however, because it will likely move the earliest date that agents can retire back, which wouldn't be very popular.
        I would think that a possible solution would be to make the 20 year retirement optional for individuals who came on before 37. For example if you came on at 40, you would have to work to 60. But if you started before 37 you would have the option of leaving at 57 or continuing to 60. This way agents wouldn't be forced to stay to 60 and be pushed back.
        I don't see what the big deal is. This way there would be a window for the younger agents that came on and a mandatory limit for the over 37 agents.

Comment

I don't think they'd make you stay longer - I think they'd make those who came on earlier and who want to retire stay later. Right now, you can retire at 50 with 20 years of service or any age with 25 years service. I think you'd see that 50/20 pushed up to, say, 53, 54 or 55, meaning people who WANT to punch out can't. That's what has always been assumed, anyway.

Comment

Here is my two cents gents. I am a 42 year old retired military. I just applied and went through the interview interview process for the State Department Diplomatic Security Special Agent 1811 position on TUesday and recieved a COE (conditional offer of WEmployment) the same day. There is a waiver to the 37 year old age limit but it is only for Preference Eligible Military veterans. You guys can believe what you want but I have a COE to back up what I am Saying. The Merit System Protection Board ruled that the age limit was a violation of Veterans preference rules since being 37 was not a requirement to do the job but to be able to retire by 57 hence it is age discrimination. SO you fellas kick it around some more speculating but I am living proof that the waiver exist. It started with Diplomatic Security but it has to be across the board.

Better yet go to this Merit System Protection Board Website and read it for yourselves. Look at thew case dated July 2, 2008

http://www.mspb.gov/sites/mspb/pages...Decisions.aspx
            Last edited by DSS Hopeful; 12-18-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I think we are talking about non veteran people over 37 since we know that there has been a waiver for them. I don't know why it passes for vets and not for the others? Discrimination is discrimination no matter if your a vet or not. I would think many non vets would make a stink over the age limit.

Comment

Why would someone who wasn't serving in the military and had nothing stopping them wait until the age of 37 to apply to a FLE position. The rule is there for Vets so that people like me who went in the miltary at 17 and served their country for 20 years don't get penalized by not being able to get a federal law enforcement postion. Why would a not vet rate a waiver when they could have applied at any time

Comment

Maybe someone has been in Law Enforcement for 14 years and wants to make a change. Does it really matter why?

Comment

No it doesnt but the Veteran's Preference Laws are in place to recognize veterans for their service and also to give them a chance to compete equitably for the positions.

And again, it would take someone 14 years to realize that they want to change careers and go Federal?

Comment

I don't think anyone has a problem with the waiver for vets. It would be nice if there wasn't an age limit for anyone.
                      Over the course of 14 years jobs change and the departments you work in change. So by the time I got around 37 it's a good time to get out because the working conditions have changed for the worse. It didn't take me 14 years to realize this, it's been a recent thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS Hopeful View Post
                        Why would someone who wasn't serving in the military and had nothing stopping them wait until the age of 37 to apply to a FLE position. The rule is there for Vets so that people like me who went in the miltary at 17 and served their country for 20 years don't get penalized by not being able to get a federal law enforcement postion. Why would a not vet rate a waiver when they could have applied at any time
                        There are a fair number of federal LEO positions that are not 12D covered. It's very possible for someone to serve their country for years as an uncovered FLEO and then get aged out of all the covered positions under the current system.

Comment

The Merit System Protection Board ruled that the age limit was a violation of Veterans preference rules since being 37 was not a requirement to do the job but to be able to retire by 57 hence it is age discrimination. SO you fellas kick it around some more speculating but I am living proof that the waiver exist.
                          I don't think anyone disagrees that a waiver exists. Waivers have been used by agencies since LE coverage first started to bring in people over the stated age limit, most recently with the agency-wide waivers by the Border Patrol and the FAMs.

What does NOT exist (yet) is an across the board change in legislation that removes the age requirement or alters it for everyone. Also, this vet policy has yet to be tested with the FBI, DEA, et al, who have quite a bit of juice to do whatever they feel like doing (also, if memory serves, I think the case you're speaking about with DSS involved an individual who had actually applied before age 37, so he was grandfathered in partly for that reason).

This has also not been tested with someone going from one of these agencies offering a waiver to one which does not. Still hope on the horizon, but it's far from a done deal.

Comment

Please note that if you get hired under a age waiver, you will not be able to go to other federal LE 6c jobs if they require you to be 37. I knew a guy who got hired by the patrol under a waiver with the hope he could transfer to the agency he really wanted. That agency turned him down due to his age at hire with the patrol. He was a real joy to be around after that..

Comment

As far as the "waiver" for preference eligible vets, it's likely that this is far from a done deal: http://www.roa.org/site/PageServer?p...w_review_0761a

"It is likely that DOS and OPM will appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit."

Comment

Maybe they will appeal maybe they won't. I know I just went through the interview process and got my conditional offer of employment with DSS for 1811. I am 42.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12275 users online. 420 members and 11855 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X