300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in Federal Job Age Limit?

I heard from a federal agent that Congress is considering changing the minimum age limit from 37 to a higher age on jobs such as Secret Service, FBI and others like it. I was wondering if others had heard that rumor.

I have heard that rumor for many years....would be surprised to see it happen, but then again....our profession is facing a mass exodus of veterans eligible over the next 3 years....might make good sense. Therefore, don't see it happening.
    The Big O

OhioNarc
    Northeast Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of the agency.

Comment

Some ICE jobs are now allowing 40 years old not 37 as the max.

Comment

Is ICE hiring 1811 Special Agent jobs at 40? I don't think so but hopefully the agencies push for a change.

Comment

I saw deport officer and Imm enf agent at 40

Comment

i havent seen a ice agent job announcement for awhile

Comment

Some agencies have infact gained waivers and changed the limit to 40. Yes, it has been in disscussion for years and will likley pass in the near future.

Comment

Understand this ,, For any 1811 or Title 5 or 6c covered position, they can not just up the age to 40..... they would then have to up the mandatory retirement age to 60...... currently it is 57, and to qualify for a pension you need at least 20 years of service,,, that is why the MAX. hire age is 37-57=20 years of service... The only way to extend the hiring age to 40 is to push back the retirement age to 60.... Some agencies, have gotten waivers for up to age 40, and i think 42, but those are the exception and not the rule....

I know of many PD's that allow officers to work past age 60 so I do not see anything wrong with extending the maximum retirement age.

Comment

I was told that they were considering moving the max. age requirement since most 57 year old agents were in good shape to continue working. Also what is the process to obtain a waiver to become an 1811 after 37? It's sounds political.

Comment

Well I hate to burst any bubbles, but there will always be vigorous opposition to raising the retirement age (and thus the max hiring age) by those folks who are currently employed in "covered" jobs. The reason being the forced retirement on the 57th birthday is the justification for the special retirement system. The special LE/firefighter/ATC retirement system was set up to allow people in those "covered" jobs to still get a decent retirement before hitting the mandatory retirement. If they raise the max age high enough it takes away the justification for the special retirement as people in those "covered" jobs would no longer need a higher annuity percentage per year of service to get a comparable retirement annuity when compared to other fed employees.

The age had bee raised in the past, and with each increase the opposition to the increases gets more vigorous. No one is interested in having the special LE/firefighter/ATC retirement abolished.

Also, regarding the "waiver" as I've said before:
                    You know I've seen this mentioned on this forum several times, but in several years of working in a "covered" fed LEO job as an 1811 I've NEVER had anyone who worked in HR for an agency tell me there was a waiver for INDIVIDUALS to get hired and "covered" in a fed LEO job that has an age limit. Some agencies have hired people after their 37th birthday who were NOT "covered" by the special LEO retirement. Also, some agencies have been allowed to open up hiring to ALL applicants up to a certain age. Recent examples were USSS Uniform Division, and Border Patrol.

However, in case I'm wrong feel free to contact the HR folks at the agency (or agencies) you're interested in applying to.

Comment

Correct me f I'm wrong. I think Border Patrol is covered and I found this on thier web site:
                      Q:
                      What are the key requirements?

A:
                      The key requirements are:

U.S. citizenship
                      No Conviction of Domestic Violence
                      Residency requirement – Candidates must be a US resident for at least three (3) years
                      Must have valid driver’s license at the time of appointment
                      Age requirement – Candidate must not be 40 years of age at the time of appointment Medical exam
                      Drug Testing
                      Physical Fitness
                      Background Investigation

Comment

Originally posted by CTRT View Post
                        i havent seen a ice agent job announcement for awhile
                        Have you not looked at USAjobs? There are a ton of annoucements open right now, mostly status candidate announcements, but they are there! And yes the age cut-off is at 40, unless you have previously been in Federal Civilan Law Enforcement
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

As someone who's watched CBP/OFO creatively use the hiring of age 40+ people, I'll say be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Lots of CBP problems were 'solved' by hiring on 55 year-olds who were willing to put up with much silliness because they knew they'd be out in 5 years.

Comment

If an 1811 position hired people over 37, would you be able to lateral over to another 1811 agency that doesn't do that?

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                              Have you not looked at USAjobs? There are a ton of annoucements open right now, mostly status candidate announcements, but they are there! And yes the age cut-off is at 40, unless you have previously been in Federal Civilan Law Enforcement
                              I don't think ICE OI posts on USAJOBS.

At the present time, ICE is not actively recruiting for entry-level Criminal Investigators (Special Agents). Once recruiting commences again, entry-level Criminal Investigators will be recruited through direct contact with Special Agent Recruiters located with each of ICE’s Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Offices. These vacancies will not be posted on the Office of Personnel Management’s (OPM) USA Jobs Web site. If you are interested in becoming an ICE Criminal Investigator, contact the nearest Special Agent in Charge Office when we are actively recruiting and ask for the "Special Agent Recruiter."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6892 users online. 378 members and 6514 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X