Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHAOSDOG
    replied
    K-9's are 0080's. They are inspectors with additional duties. They have buildings assigned and the skill level decides the level of those buildings assigned. If your a good Inspector expect to get higher level buildings regardless of being K-9. You have plenty of time to finish your BSA's early in the year. 1 Hour of OT every day for dog training and care, (7 days a week)and most work 4 10's (at least in my region). Great gig if you can get it.

FPS is a great organization and even more so if you get in the right region.

Basic (UPTP) is the 11 weeks as mentiond but with pre and post for FPS (pre is in Glynco/post is in Bren Mar, VA) you can add almost 4 weeks then the PSA (Physical Security Academy) you add another 4 weeks. 19 weeks then 6 weeks of K-9. 25 weeks of training to do. Worth it.

Expect FPS to continue to get better as the funding increases and the vital role they play becomes more recognized within DHS.

Leave a comment:

• blkcops
    replied
    I love these post people talking ,,,talking ..and more talking. First the K9 slots if your not ready for the ride the long ride don't do it. Second all is not what it seems to be there are alot of small problems with FPS. I can't speak on them now but in order to know you would have to be! VA very nice..MD very nice But DC OH god think about it.. ALOT!! GONE
    Last edited by blkcops; 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CBP1895
    replied
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/icefps

Check out this site for some good info on FPS hiring

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by FPS1588 View Post
    Actually it depends on the region and how well you are "liked". In the region I used to work, the K9 handler was given the level 1 and 2 buildings so that he had more time to work his dog and participate in different details. In actuality, they are inspectors and would be given the same load as other inspectors with the additional duty of handling a K9. K9 handlers are 0080's and too my knowledge have always been 0080's within FPS. At least during my tenure they were.
    I'm just going off what the 0080's I know that work the DC area told me.....they were convinced that the K-9 guys were 083's.....and I got corrected on that......

It doesn't make sense to me that someone that would have a specialty like K-9 would have to do a ton of suverys/assessments when they should be working their dog more.....Guess that's just me....

When I worked DHS HQ (Neb Ave Complex) I got stuck doing some stuff with contract guards and ended up working with FPS a lot.....so....I know some of what is going on....but still scratch my head at other things....

Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• FPS1588
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    I try my best.....

Question..... Do the K-9 folks do a lot of building survey's/assessments or are they left to do the K-9 thing for the most part.....?

Guys out in DC that I know were telling me K-9 folks were 0083s....and I got corrected on that in the other FPS thread......and at the present moment, I am not in contacft with any FPS folks...

Thanks...
    Actually it depends on the region and how well you are "liked". In the region I used to work, the K9 handler was given the level 1 and 2 buildings so that he had more time to work his dog and participate in different details. In actuality, they are inspectors and would be given the same load as other inspectors with the additional duty of handling a K9. K9 handlers are 0080's and too my knowledge have always been 0080's within FPS. At least during my tenure they were.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by FPS1588 View Post
    Bearcat has summarized the LESO position in a nutshell.
    I try my best.....

Question..... Do the K-9 folks do a lot of building survey's/assessments or are they left to do the K-9 thing for the most part.....?

Guys out in DC that I know were telling me K-9 folks were 0083s....and I got corrected on that in the other FPS thread......and at the present moment, I am not in contacft with any FPS folks...

Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• FPS1588
    replied
    Originally posted by Airforcop View Post
    I haven't been following too many of these federal postings and from prior military service, I know the government loves their acronyms. I'm just curious what exactly this job is, obviously a K-9 slot, but for who, ICE? Is the training the same as going with say a customs job or is this a glorified security guard job with a dog? Can someone break down what a FPS LESO is.
    Bearcat has summarized the LESO position in a nutshell. The LESO/K9 handler is a good position as is any LEO postion within FPS. Don't be fooled by what people tell you about FPS. It is one of those hidden secrets that up until 2003, not many people knew about. I would honestly say that as far as Federal Law Enforcement goes, even though they aren't covered under 6(c) or 12(d) they are the best federal law enforcement agency to work for. I am not just saying that because I used to work for them. If I ever go back to the federal LEO side, I would definitely go back to FPS. It is a very nice gig.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
    They are law enforcement officers with a primary security function for federal buildings
    The "Security" function is where the LESO's are out checking on the buildings assigned to them making sure the guards are doing their jobs, the security equipment inside the buildings is functioning properly, and doing survey's/assessments to make sure everything is up to date.....ie there isn't some 1980s era camera still in operation.......

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    I haven't been following too many of these federal postings and from prior military service, I know the government loves their acronyms. I'm just curious what exactly this job is, obviously a K-9 slot, but for who, ICE? Is the training the same as going with say a customs job or is this a glorified security guard job with a dog? Can someone break down what a FPS LESO is.
    http://www.ice.gov/pi/fps/org_hfs.htm

In a nutshell, FPS protects Federal Buildings, fedreal employees, guests, and federal property/buildings.......plus manage the contract guard forces that do the actual protection (they don't stand posts contrary to popular belief).

LEOS (Law Enforcement Security Officers) are Physical Security Inspectors....the ones that make sure the contracts are going as they are supposed to, doing phyiscal security surveys/assessments, and providing law enforcement support....ie pushing a patrol car and running calls for service.

As a K-9 Officer, you would be working an Explosive Detector Dog and running calls for service when folks need a dog, doing mutual aids for surrounding agencies that need a dog, plus doing patrol and survey's.....

You are a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.....

Rumor has it that folks are working on 20 year retirement for FPS.....but don't belive it till you see it with your own eyes.

I know the guys in DC are busy as hell......One would suspect if you got one of the smaller cities in the advertisment, you wouldn't be quite as busy....

Expect to be TDY all the time for large events....such as the Super Bowl, World Series, and other high profile events......

Hope that helps....

And yes, if someone got this position.....it would be a good gig.....a real good gig.....

Leave a comment:

• rbakous1
    replied
    They are under ICE & they have their training academy at FLETC, which is 11 weeks long, but it's not the same as customs. US customs has their own training academy. FPS attends the same academy as all other federal uniformed officer training academy, which is 11 weeks long. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) They are law enforcement officers with a primary security function for federal buildings, in addition to traffic enforcement on federal property. As their job title would indicate, law enforcement security officer, I'm not being sarcastic. I think as you get into more specialized roles, i.e. K-9, you will likely perform more traditional police functions.

Leave a comment:

• Airforcop
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by blkcops View Post
    Bear cat whats was that last Quote about the Hanging all about my friend. Are you FPS yet and what the deal with you your a very smart guy why are you not on somebody department yet?
    A. I am apparently still in the FPS 0080 process.....who freaking knows. I haven't heard anything since I sent my fingerprint packet in....and that was 2 months ago.....

B. If the K-9 process is going to be like the 0080 process.....It will be years before any one is hired. Look what a mess the 0080 process has been thus far.....

C. I am in the final process of a whole different job/career field....something that just popped up. If I am offered that position, I will never give FPS the time of day. Now....I will hang out with them in DC and make the boys buy me beer.....but that's a whole different story....

Leave a comment:

• blkcops
    replied
    Bear cat whats was that last Quote about the Hanging all about my friend. Are you FPS yet and what the deal with you your a very smart guy why are you not on somebody department yet?

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by davocop370 View Post
    Who May Apply:

Current Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment and former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility.

Current and former Federal employees who meet the established criteria in an Office of Personnel Management Interchange Agreement (DHS/TSA).

Veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous service will receive consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA).
    As the above notes....Status Candidates only for this annoucement......

I am suspecting a ton of folks will be applying for these positions.......

UPTP - 59 days...
    PSI - 10 days....
    K-9 - 50 days.....

Lots of training time....

Leave a comment:

• rbakous1
    replied
    Sounds Cool, wish I were eligible to apply.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6612 users online. 346 members and 6266 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X