300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The interview

Well I had my interview at my department. Everyone said I did great. but I got my FU letter in the mail. I was quite disappointed to say the least. This is the interview that I had one of my friends on the panel. The interview was actually AWESOME. It went perfectly. I wasnt nervous and I answered with confidence.

after I got My letter, I asked for some constructive critism from one of the panel members and said "what can I do to improve my interviewing skills?"

He said, "your interview was great, in fact, after you left I said to the guys 'she did great, so what do we do now'?" He also said he couldnt think of anythign that i needed to improve on. so from what I gather, I came in 5th place, and #4 is the cut off. which really bummed me out. Apparently, some cops from other agencies did better than me. *sigh*

Rumor is, that because I have children, it hurt me chances. I've heard that from more than one person. which is bull*****. I have never not been here for this department, even on a moments notice. I worked two 12 hour days for them just last week on a moments notice. That just really urks me because one of the CSO's placed 4th, he's single... it was his first interview and I WAS THE ONE WHO COACHED HIM! My friend (on the panel) told me straight out that I did better than anyone else from our department that applied, so I can only beleive that I got nixed cause I have children........ I have such a bad taste in my mouth about this department now, it's just very disappointing.
    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Sorry to hear it Insane 1, but don't give UUUUUUUPPPPPPP...

I KNOW that sounds like a STUPID cliche, but many GREAT officers (such as myself...ahem... ) don't make it their first time. It's NOT unusual.

I applied at one agency THREE times, and have never worked a day there. I said of that whole mess that I've been turned down more than Bill Clinton's sheets!

BTW, the only satisfaction and solace I got from that was the knowledge that they hired some GREAT ones though in my stead
    People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

Don't give up, InSane1. Like Sgt Dave said, a lot of folks don't make it on the first interview.

IF the reason that you didn't get the job is because you have children, keep showing them that you have what it takes.

To quote Sgt Dave:

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!
      Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

This wasn't my first interview, just my first at the department I work for. I just turned in my background packet for a major City in the twin cities area. I'm fourth on their list. But unsure how many they are hiring. I placed fourth in another area department, who was only hiring two, fortunately they keep me on the list, as they had me complete a background packet as well.

He!!, I even placed second at a rural department who had one opening, but the first man was offered the position, lol I just cant seem to get them to bypass everyone else. I can't wait until I'm #1. This whole placing 4th & 5th is driving me insane. I know Im not that bad. I'm an excellent interviewer, and usually get beat out by cops with experience. Its driving me NUTZ!

I have worked So had to get to the position I am at.... I'll be damned if I give up now... I originally wanted to do private investigations, you know, like skip tracing. But Law Enforcement is so much more my style. I'm almost ready to call up my local PI and say, HEY... I want to be your apprentice.. I will work for free! just to get more investigations experience.

Blah..... I WILL BE AN OFFICER SOON! MARK MY WORDS!

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: InSane1 ]

Comment

Well, I talked to my friend (who was one of the interviewers) When I asked him what I could have done better he said "honestly there is nothign that you could have done better. you gave a great interview. You nailed it" he told me he had doubts about my interviewing skills before I went in and now that he has seen me interview that "I KNOW YOU WILL GET A JOB". he said I did everything perfectly, just that the others had street experience and thats what the chief wanted. BLAH.... he told me that one of the other officers in particular was really upset about me not getting it. they were both leaning towards me and I was one who he wouldnt have been surprised if I had gotten backgrounded.

I had to tell him that I was so disappointed, but understood it wasnt their fault.. and that I need to get a CSO job.. lol. He really made me feel better about the whole thing and told me straight out that he called just to tell me he was proud of me and that this whole thing has been akward for him. I think my rank was even better than what I originally thought (which was fifth).. everyone has said that there wasnt a list, but recommendations, and the captain had influence and the chief had the final say so... They are the ones who screwed me.

I THINK: They knew I did Awesome but wanted some blahhhhh MAN for the position.
          I knew they somewhat limited the women at our department passing them up for deserved promotions, but this just sofa king URKED me.

I guess I'm done ranting now that i know I am a perfect ten. lol.

Comment

Just like everyone said...don't give up. I'm in my first application process myself and just trying to do my best and learn what I can. You will get hired! Heh, and by God so will I!

--Piper

P.S. If ever ya wanna coach a fellow o.com member on interviewing skills...I'd be up for that!

Comment

Edited out of respect for Piper.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

DOH... ^^^^PIG^^^^^

Piper, if you have any questions about interviews, ask away. I'm an expert, not by choice. Did I mention that My Sergeant said to me "Gina, you did everything I told you to do. I was so proud of you!"
                Although Im a self proclaimed expert in that area, I know my interviewing skills are EX-SEE-LENT!

Comment

InSane1...

My *poke* at Piper was one of jest. Sexist? No. It was in referrence to a post made by HERSELF a few weeks back. Look it up under 'I just finished my orals...'

Lighten up and enjoy the board.
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

"Lighten up and enjoy the board."

OMG!...AHH AHAHAHAHAHHAHA that was a joke... right? lol

I'm so light... people have to hold me down.

*thinking that sounded funny, but who cares.. lol*

Comment

Comment

does that symbol mean i'm singing? So we'ez coo..> We'ez understands each odder? I'm down wif ya homey

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
                          <STRONG>Edited out of respect for Piper.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]</STRONG>
                          Bah Shooter...ya shoulda left it, you know me better than that! *hugs*

Comment

<small>[ 09-26-2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: klar ]</small>
                            Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10636 users online. 497 members and 10139 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X