300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros & Cons of FBI POLICE

Ehh i've been thinking of applying to the FBI Police, taking thee advantage of the open vacanies that they have open. But i haven't been getting much GOOD information about them. Anyone with info please share!?!
    Amtrak Police: NY/NJ

...............................better leave this one alone too

RKT
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Just to add to whats been said in other posts, its mainly a security job with access control type duties. With the cities that the FBI has police officer openings in you could stay in those same cities and have a very busy career as a police officer. (dc police, nypd, all the other uniformed PDs in DC, VA, etc.

Most federal uniformed police officer postions are security based due to the nature of the beast. A few deviations with USPP and some DoD Police if they are large bases with housing and neighborhood-like activities.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
        It's a force protection gig, not traditional LE.

The only 0083 gig that is "real police" is US Park.

FBI Police has limited patrol areas and very similar gig to USCP/SSUD/etc.

It depends what you want in a career, not sure if it helps that much going 1811.
        What is up with those automatic disqualifiers? I'm not interested in that job but I did check it out just to see what's it all about since I've never heard of it before. I was surprised to see what they will automatically disqualify you for. I know you need to have a clean background to work in LE but I've never seen minimum requirements so inflexible.
        Last edited by rbakous1; 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM.

Comment

The position is 90-95% standing post with an occassional TDY detail for the Super Bowl, All-Star Game, etc. And even when you are detailed to these events you are usually working in the JOC/IOC checking access IDs or performing roving perimeter patrols. THIS IS NOT A JOB FOR SOMEONE WHO IS LOOKING TO DO POLICE WORK.

Training is hit or miss, FBI Police officers are not permitted to participate in any collateral duties (hazmat, evidence response team, SWAT). Quantico, FBIHQ and CJIS West Virginia have K-9 but you need to have at least 3-5 years on. Most of the training is in-house with the occassional oppurtunity for an outside class.

All FBI Police duty stations are currently on 8 or 10 hour tours depending on where management puts you and your seniority. DO NOT COUNT ON OVERTIME !!!! As this is variable based on the budget and the state of the nation in the FBI at the given time.

Working for the FBI Police DOES NOT COUNT as law enforcement experience as far as the FBI is concerned for hiring into a special agent position. You must sign a two year commitment and the Police Unit will not let you transfer to another position within the FBI prior to that commitment being up.

As far as the work enviroment, everyone treats you nicely except FBI Police management who basically wants you to stand there, look pretty and don't get involved unless you absolutly have to. If I had to do it all over again and moving was an option I would look at U.S. Park Police, USSS UD, US Capital Police, Pentagon Force Protection or Federal Protective Services only because they offer oppurtunities other than standing post.

Check out www.passmanandkaplan.com for a little more info about the class action suit the FBI police officers have brought against the FBI for wage discrimination.

Comment

Question about the 2 year commitment. Can you leave for a local agency in that time frame? Or are you in for 2 years not leaving for anybody fed, local, etc. without consequences? What are the consequences?

Comment

Originally posted by CAnde View Post
              Question about the 2 year commitment. Can you leave for a local agency in that time frame? Or are you in for 2 years not leaving for anybody fed, local, etc. without consequences? What are the consequences?
              It breaks down this way:

If you attempt to transfer to another FBI position either support or agent, the Security Division, which the FBI Police falls under, will block your transfer and inform the other division that you have not fullfilled your two year committment

If you go outside of the FBI, they can and probably will inform your background investigator of your committment status. If the department/agency hires you, you will recieve a pro-rated bill from the FBI detailing what you owe them in training costs and any signing bonuses you accepted when you began with the FBI. That being said, I have many friends who left the FBI Police prior to finishing their two years, some went local PD some went federal 1811.

Comment

Thank you Steve, thats the info I was looking for.

Comment

the killer for me is having to sign up to a 2 year contract and not having any idea which location you will be stationed at.

I can't imagine what that choice is like for married folks and parents.

Comment

Basically the way it stands now, the entire system (NY,FBIHQ & Quantico) are soooo short you can pretty much set where you are going to go, you just need to stand your ground with the recruiter and being willing to say "no" when they make the offer for somewhere you dont want to go. The only place people arent going straight from FLETC is CJIS West Virginia because they are the closest to being fully staffed. One of the tell tale signs is once you are almost completly done with the process you will usually have an "meet and greet" interview with the Captain of the command, this is what usually happens in NYO at least. If he likes you then more than likely you will go to NYO, this is provided you aren't an a** in FLETC then he will just swap you out for someone else in the mix at FLETC and you are screwed.

Comment

i was told NYC is full, and that is current as of a week ago, she asked me about DC and quanico as they were 2nd and 3rd in my ranking. anyone here based outta quanico?? im considering going there

Comment

What does the FBI police carry on duty? Are they authorized off duty carry?

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102514

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105973

Links to even more links.
                          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

Hey psycho1000r I sent you a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
                              What is up with those automatic disqualifiers? I'm not interested in that job but I did check it out just to see what's it all about since I've never heard of it before. I was surprised to see what they will automatically disqualify you for. I know you need to have a clean background to work in LE but I've never seen minimum requirements so inflexible.
                              I agree. A little psychotic, if you ask me. And they wonder why they can't get enough applicants...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7726 users online. 395 members and 7331 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X