Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What states/departments on the east coast NEED police officers?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
    If you don't want to be a street cop, seriously consider USSS-UD or USCP.

With OT you will make 75K+ and w/ UD during the election 100K+. I know UD will pay for your move and you do all the processing out of NY field office.

I just hope you know what you are getting into, your post's seem a little mis-informed but that is why you are on here looking for advice so I commend that part.

Training will be long/hard no matter the agency so I would look at non-residential options first.

If you go UD or federal there is 10-12 weeks in GA then everything is local, have you family watch your son for the initial training then move him to MD for phase 2.

What about AMTRAK Police? http://amtrak.teamrewards.net/TR_Pub...=1228943548522

Best of luck, getting into LE isnt easy and it's not like getting a normal job. The process takes months/years.
    What's USSS-UD or USCP?

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with this?

Thanks for putting up that website, btw! I'm going to apply for a lot of those jobs. Anything to get stable . You given me a lot of help, thank you!

Comment

MD Police positions

Ninacole,

If you are coming to MD (Baltimore possibly) be ready for a culture shock. There is a saying that every city has two or three bad neighborhoods. Baltimore has two or three good ones. The remainder of the city is a vast wasteland. It is a great place to get experience fast and then move on. If you have any questions about the city or any MD departments shoot me a PM. I have contacts in most of the state's agencies.

Comment

Ninacole,

I am from NY as well and just started the process for the the USCP and the USSS-UD. I will be going down to D.C. next month to take the POST for the USCP. Feel free to PM me if needed. The best job description I can give for these two units would be guard duty, or for former military, Embassy duty.
        You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!!

Comment

Nina, I'm not an officer or with any LE agency but it seems that you are going to get into LE for the money and stability? Well I think those aren't the right reasons to get a job in this field. The money isn't great but the pride you can take home with you and how commendable the job is are just a few reasons becoming a LEO is so important to people. I understand your situation very well trust me my aunt is a single mom going through breast cancer and paying off her debt so your story does hit very close to home with me. The goal at the end of every shift according to many Troopers and officers I've spoken with is to come home at night. You can be killed on this job. Granted the academy and field training helps A LOT. I'm just voicing my opinion just to give you a different viewpoint. If you are serious about the job than great! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Also getting a job in LEO is NOT quick. The process can be very drawn out with canvassing, processing, and the academy. Sometimes it takes years. Best of luck to you Nina!

Comment

give uscp a try. they have a bunch of tests coming up and they are pushing people through a lot faster than usual. you dont need any experience and you dont even need a degree. if you wanna job in le and dont really wanna be out doing all the dangerous stuff that goes along with the job then uscp would be a great fit. not to mention you will make a ton of money there.

Comment

USCP has 3 tests coming up Jan 10-12-26. Not so sure of the "tons of money" comment since the word on the street is OT has been cut, but starting pay is 51 during training and 53 after. I for one am hoping the process is going faster than normal.

Comment

trust me, if you want you can max out on overtime every pay period. you could work 12 or 16 hours a day 7 days a week if you wanted too.

Comment

I hope your right, I am following the USCP post and a USCP officer stated OT was tough to get right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick331 View Post
                    Nina, I'm not an officer or with any LE agency but it seems that you are going to get into LE for the money and stability? Well I think those aren't the right reasons to get a job in this field. The money isn't great but the pride you can take home with you and how commendable the job is are just a few reasons becoming a LEO is so important to people. I understand your situation very well trust me my aunt is a single mom going through breast cancer and paying off her debt so your story does hit very close to home with me. The goal at the end of every shift according to many Troopers and officers I've spoken with is to come home at night. You can be killed on this job. Granted the academy and field training helps A LOT. I'm just voicing my opinion just to give you a different viewpoint. If you are serious about the job than great! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Also getting a job in LEO is NOT quick. The process can be very drawn out with canvassing, processing, and the academy. Sometimes it takes years. Best of luck to you Nina!

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this yet. No offense, but seriously do your research. I work with LEO's that are just there for pay and benefits, and they are not the people I want to work with, nor do they belong in law enforcement. Those are the people that get you hurt....or worse. I'm not saying you would be one of those LEO's, but I'm just talking from personal experience. I heavily researched law enforcement for about 3 years (including an internship, several ride-alongs, talking to every cop I came into contact with, and having family in law enforcement), and there were still things that surprised me when I got on the job. All I'm trying to say is pay and benefits are not the first reason people should take this job. It's a great career for some, and not so good for others. It's definitely not for everyone. Some of the things you said in your original post were red flags to me. Just my 2 cents.....good luck in whatever you decide.

Comment

+1

L.E. has to be something you LOVE. I LOVE catching bad guys. Even though I work Federal now, I still catch bad guys....and still love it. But, I make less than someone else with my experience and degree in a different field....I don't care. I love my job.
                      Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Well, I take the NYPD exam again tomorrow. My other exam expires in June and since the January Police Academy class was canceled, they advised me to just take the test over again.

I can understand the concern some of you have and to be honest I don't know If I would LOVE a job in law enforcement.

I'm not even sure I would like it. I get conflicting view points of what it is a police officer does most of the time. If it's more exciting and I actually get to go and help people and talk to people and settle disputes I think I would actually like the job more then if it's mostly paperwork and writing tickets and more paper work about the tickets I just wrote.

Yes, the Idea is kind of scary. I understand that I could die on the job. I do kind of have the belief that everyone has to die anyway and I think to die as a cop is probably one of the better ways to go, but I do have a 4 year old and I don't think anyone could raise him as good as I could.

And I know the NYPD isn't a lot of money, but (now) it's decent money. Still going to have to struggle to pay rent and put my kid in a decent school. But I do have an idea for a PT job that I would enjoy and could help with all of that. It wouldn't be enough to get me and my son by alone but combined with the police work we'd do alright.

So really I don't know how much I would enjoy the police work. Something about catching the bad guys does appeal to me, so would be going to talk to individuals and helping them out during tough situations, like domestic violence. I have been in a domestic violence situation myself and when I called the police they treated me as if I were the perp or something, even though I made the call. Worst they were very nervous and yeah I can understand why, but still...

Not to say that Just because I became a cop things would be much different. I guess it wouldn't be, since almost every NYPD cop i've known has been much the same way so I can only guess that's something that they teach in the academy.

I wanted to do the academy and hoped the academy would make me or break me as far as being an officer. If I thought I couldn't handle it I'd stop, If I thought I could I'd go for it. I think being an officer would give me a great sense of pride and confidence. But I don't know what else might come with that.

Also I'm not completely new to law enforcement. I have been in the navy and got an honorable discharge because of illness. I actually thought of joining the police department because I wanted to join the army, but didn't want to go off to boot camp and have to leave my son with relatives. Also the last time I was discharged had to do with illness and I didn't want to have to go to another boot camp and risk getting sick again only to be discharged again. They didn't allow me to take my medication before while in the Navy, but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to while I was in the police academy.

All I can say is if I did do the police academy and went through it all I would take my job on the street seriously. I have a little boy i'd like to go home and see him every night too.
                        Last edited by Ninacole; 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Or see him every morning, depending on what shift you're on.

I took the job to say that I did it,but I still love it..Im the one and only cop in my entire family, minus my great-grandfather who was an old school Irish NYPD cop.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                            Or see him every morning, depending on what shift you're on.

I took the job to say that I did it,but I still love it..Im the one and only cop in my entire family, minus my great-grandfather who was an old school Irish NYPD cop.
                            I would be the only cop in my family too. To be honest most of the other other peeps on my mothers side of the family aren't really working people and those that do work in my family are just about ALL in the medical field. Doctors, Nurses, Lab Techs, whatever. I've been encouraged to join the medical feild too, and maybe it's kind of crazy but for some reason I'd rather be a cop. First to be a nurse the hours seem kind of crazy, all though i know a lot of police departments make similar kind of schedules, I think the NYPD Has more stable schedules. At least that's that their website use to say, I don't know if that's changed.

And plus I'd have to do a lot of schooling to be a nurse and nursing schools sounds really boring to me. I'm a certified paralegal so I've already done several criminal justice classes and yeah, I remember them being very interesting and enjoyable.

Plus I've always been the more level headed, peace keeper out of all my friends. I don't know how much police work is talking and trying to diffuse situations and how much is pulling out a gun to make people behave themselves, but if it is mostly talking and diffusing I think I would actually enjoy the job a lot. I know what people think of cops, a lot of communities don't trust police officers. It's hard to blame them sometimes because Like my incidence with the DV call showed sometimes the cops enter with a sense of mistrust for the people they are suppose to help/protect.

Like I said I have no idea what it's really like out on the streets. What it's like actually wearing a uniform. I wouldn't want to put myself in a position that I'd be in danger or taken advantage of but I wouldn't want to be as cold and rigid as many of the police officers I encountered.

If I have to be, if that's exactly how they teach it in the academy then I will adapt and do it. But If I could be more "helpful" and less "controlling" of people I think it would make the job very rewarding for me.

Comment

Originally posted by phils2008 View Post
                              trust me, if you want you can max out on overtime every pay period. you could work 12 or 16 hours a day 7 days a week if you wanted too.

UMMMMM....no u can't....Id love to know where u got that info or what division is putting out this OT right now...

Its not happening
                              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Try Connecticut.
                                www.policeapp.com
                                ct.gov

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8797 users online. 424 members and 8373 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X