Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any new NCIS news???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by tran65 View Post
    Also take into consideration this is an excepted service position. Essentially they can hire who they want. Vet preference points do not move you automatically to the top of the list.
    My understanding is that the new Director, who came from the ATF, is placing more of an emphasis on making our hiring process transparent, fair, and in compliance with hiring laws and policies. Previous regimes were not so interested in these things. That being said, we are still an excepted service agency with a lot more latitude than a competitive service agency.

    Also, there still seems to be some confusion regarding BIs. There are TWO separate BIs you need to pass to get hired. The first is the standard OPM SSBI for a TS/SCI clearance. If you already have one of these, NCIS will take it if it is within five years. The second is the NCIS 2A suitability investigation, which is conducted by NCIS agents/investigators. It is very similar to the OPM SSBI, except we ask your references/coworkers/neighbors if you will be good at the things NCIS does (i.e. write, interview, handle firearms).

    Note: I don't adjudicate clearances or hire people, this is just based on my knowledge as a 1811 with NCIS who went through the hiring process a while back.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by promet View Post
      My understanding is that the new Director, who came from the ATF, is placing more of an emphasis on making our hiring process transparent, fair, and in compliance with hiring laws and policies. Previous regimes were not so interested in these things. That being said, we are still an excepted service agency with a lot more latitude than a competitive service agency.

      Also, there still seems to be some confusion regarding BIs. There are TWO separate BIs you need to pass to get hired. The first is the standard OPM SSBI for a TS/SCI clearance. If you already have one of these, NCIS will take it if it is within five years. The second is the NCIS 2A suitability investigation, which is conducted by NCIS agents/investigators. It is very similar to the OPM SSBI, except we ask your references/coworkers/neighbors if you will be good at the things NCIS does (i.e. write, interview, handle firearms).

      Note: I don't adjudicate clearances or hire people, this is just based on my knowledge as a 1811 with NCIS who went through the hiring process a while back.
      So would this 2A suitability investigation be done by the Supervisory SA that sent my 5 pg security questionnaire or would they enter the picture later on after I am given the COE?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
        So would this 2A suitability investigation be done by the Supervisory SA that sent my 5 pg security questionnaire or would they enter the picture later on after I am given the COE?
        I don't think they'd do it for everyone who has received referrals and that security questionnaire. That would be too many people, too much time, too much money. I'd guess it'd be later on in the process.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


        honor first

        Comment


        • Originally posted by brian2012 View Post
          Were there two attachments in your email?

          I received only one with the security questionnaire.
          Yes,it had both attachments and a short narrative telling me to fill thboth forms, scan and send them back. It also had a small section for me to fill out some basic questions, like SSN, DOB, Address, Phone, etc.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by LE View Post
            BoricuaLEO,

            Are you a current 1811 or have foreign language? I was referred to the same locations but haven't receive any emails.
            I am not a current or former 1811. I do speak Spanish. I am a local LEO with over 2years as a Detective and 9 years total LEO experience, to include 2 years as a former federal LEO 1801, I am a 10 pt. Vet, Marines and only have an A.S. Degree.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BoricuaLEO View Post
              I am not a current or former 1811. I do speak Spanish. I am a local LEO with over 2years as a Detective and 9 years total LEO experience, to include 2 years as a former federal LEO 1801, I am a 10 pt. Vet, Marines and only have an A.S. Degree.
              Thanks for the info. I'm a 5 point, former military 1811 with OSI, current GS12 0080 with Air Force, and masters degree. Hoping to hear back from Mayport or Norfolk.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bcmking3 View Post
                Yes - I was referred to all locations both GS7 & 9 no degree, but 10 years LEO experience at local level - 10 PT. VET
                Now I'm really scratching my head..... 10 point vet, 8 years local LEO, BS degree, some graduate courses....... and no referrals. Wish I had the person at OPM who reviewed your file.
                "These aren't my pants"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by GixxerSteve View Post
                  Now I'm really scratching my head..... 10 point vet, 8 years local LEO, BS degree, some graduate courses....... and no referrals. Wish I had the person at OPM who reviewed your file.
                  It's not your experience.
                  It's probably your usajobs resume.
                  I have a buddy that's an HR person and officer with an agency. If your resume doesn't match the core competences, it won't score enough points to move on. Unfortunate deal now without KSA's.
                  Last edited by Esco; 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Expected Service:

                    Federal Government civilian positions are generally in of the competitive civil service. To obtain a competitive service job, you must compete with other applicants in open competition. OPM provides excepted service hiring authorities to fill special jobs or to fill any job in unusual or special circumstances under "Schedules A (external link), B, C (external link), and D." These excepted service authorities enable agencies to hire when it is not feasible or not practical to use traditional competitive hiring procedures, and can streamline hiring.
                    Most Excepted service positions are not required to be posted on USAJOBS.gov (external link). As a result, it is important to look at individual agency Web sites for job announcements.

                    Since they can hire anyone they want, it is probably easier to not stress about who is getting referred and who isn't and why.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
                      So would this 2A suitability investigation be done by the Supervisory SA that sent my 5 pg security questionnaire or would they enter the picture later on after I am given the COE?
                      The way it's worked in the past is they put out an announcement, send out those packets/questionnaires, and then call people in for panel interviews. Medical, poly, and BIs all came after the interviews. The 2A is coordinated out of headquarters, but NCIS agents/investigators at the local offices are the ones actually knocking on doors. Make sure the contact info for your references is up to date! When we are out doing 2As, we are not working our cases, so the easier you can make it on us, the better.

                      Comment


                      • Still receiving notices of being referred. This time GS 7 RI. I have already received a notice for GS 9 RI. Adding San Diego GS 9 to my referrals. Is everyone receiving these or just the two of us?
                        Last edited by liberty82; 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by liberty82 View Post
                          Still receiving notices of being referred. This time GS 7 RI. I have already received a notice for GS 9 RI.
                          Yeah....same here! GS-9 San Diego. I thought this part was over

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
                            Yeah....same here! GS-9 San Diego. I thought this part was over
                            I was hoping so, but I guess we will have to keep waiting to see what the future holds for us all.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bcmking3 View Post
                              It was not listed as a requirement in the latest posting - things have apparently changed.
                              Are You Qualified to be an NCIS Special Agent?

                              You must not have reached 37 years of age (exceptions are preference eligible veterans and those currently covered under the 6C Federal Law Enforcement retirement system).
                              You must have an accredited baccalaureate degree.
                              You must have vision correctable to 20/20 with normal color vision.
                              You must be a U.S.-born or naturalized U.S. citizen.
                              You must pass a background suitability screening.
                              You must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
                              You must have a valid driver's license.
                              Last edited by 1811hunter; 05-10-2014, 11:04 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by 1811hunter View Post
                                Got to be a mistake at HR. I highly doubt NCIS would knowingly put out an announcement that didn't require a BA.

                                Are You Qualified to be an NCIS Special Agent?

                                You must not have reached 37 years of age (exceptions are preference eligible veterans and those currently covered under the 6C Federal Law Enforcement retirement system).
                                You must have an accredited baccalaureate degree.
                                You must have vision correctable to 20/20 with normal color vision.
                                You must be a U.S.-born or naturalized U.S. citizen.
                                You must pass a background suitability screening.
                                You must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
                                You must have a valid driver's license.
                                someone has already debunked this; they said their friend who is an 1811 with NCIS said the BA is no longer required. this is further backed by me asking the supervisor SA who emailed me about the degree requirement, and they said i meet the minimum requirements (i dont have a degree).

                                website is probably out of date. last two NCIS announcements didnt have the degree requirement
                                UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


                                honor first

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 14691 users online. 263 members and 14428 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X