300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by promet View Post
    Just a note, while NCIS certainly places a lot of emphasis on those things, as a new agent you will almost certainly be working general crimes for your first tour. If you are not willing to work death cases and sexual assault cases at a busy office, please stop your application now before any more time is wasted. If you're not willing to spend Christmas working a suicide, this is not the agency for you.

We tend to get a lot of applicants who, when interviewed, say they are willing to do anything and everything to get the job, but when they get the call to be a GS7/1 at Camp Pendleton working Family and Sexual Violence, suddenly they are not so willing. At that point, the agency's wasted dozens of man hours on polygraphs and the 2A, so please don't be that person.
    Yeah I am definitely willing to work any gig and any field with NCIS. I assumed most agents spend the first part of career getting acquainted with general crime investigations.

Comment

• Originally posted by promet View Post
      Just a note, while NCIS certainly places a lot of emphasis on those things, as a new agent you will almost certainly be working general crimes for your first tour. If you are not willing to work death cases and sexual assault cases at a busy office, please stop your application now before any more time is wasted. If you're not willing to spend Christmas working a suicide, this is not the agency for you.

We tend to get a lot of applicants who, when interviewed, say they are willing to do anything and everything to get the job, but when they get the call to be a GS7/1 at Camp Pendleton working Family and Sexual Violence, suddenly they are not so willing. At that point, the agency's wasted dozens of man hours on polygraphs and the 2A, so please don't be that person.
      Man.........I hope you aren't in recruiting! HAHA! Well, contrary to popular belief, working $#!++Y cases and holidays is not exclusive to NCIS. I've worked every major holiday for the last 5 years and have been given tons of assignments that are less than desirable on several occasions. I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a law enforcement officer on this forum that doesn't have those job specifications AND any of those agents that you are referring to that were dumb enough to think it wouldn't happen to them deserves their misery in their job(sorry to be harsh).

If my concern was to be in the EASY, RIDICULOUSLY paid job with rock-star status then I'd stay right where I'm at. However, that's not what I'm looking for. I want the opportunity to work a variety of cases and I want the opportunity to get extra training in new things. Don't really care where I live right off the bat. Although the wife said the Middle East was OUT :-( To which I said BOOHOO...

Anyways, trust me when I say my eyes are wide open on this job.

Comment

• I am willing to investigate the Coffee machine for a year as long as I get to be an 1811.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raidergx View Post
          I am willing to investigate the Coffee machine for a year as long as I get to be an 1811.
          Well said my friend......well said

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
            Think I shot myself in the foot by only selecting GS9. Also answered C for most of the questions as supervisors sign off on all reports and investigations we do. But it is usually just the finished product.
            Yeah don't sell your sell short. I think you definitely have the experience to qualify at the GS-9 level. I believe the question says "but my work was closely monitored by a supervisor"

Every investigative position has some type of supervisor who reviews the reports you write but that doesn't mean they "closely monitor". The keyword there being "closely" that's really open to your interpretation and as long as you can articulate it there is nothing wrong with putting D as your answer. Try not to focus so much on the exact wording but more on the overall meaning.

In my opinion they just want to know that you have some investigative experience without needing your hand held the whole time and showing you what to do all the time.

At the end of the day if they actually called you out and said that your experience didn't match up with your answers, You just say "by my understanding of the question I thought that my experience was relevant but based on what you have told me I now see the difference...."

Don't get carried away with your answers and don't ever knowingly lie but all you have to do is look at the job description of a security guard on USA jobs to see how much they make these positions sound like more than they really are. Apply that same level of flowery writing to your own experience.

Comment

• I would also take heed of the caveat appearing more and more in vacancy announcements- that is to NOT cut and pasts contents into your resume. This happens quite often- where an applicant will simply copy the duties from the announcement and past it verbatim into their resume, spelling errors and all.
              Originally posted by SSD
              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

• Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                I would also take heed of the caveat appearing more and more in vacancy announcements- that is to NOT cut and pasts contents into your resume. This happens quite often- where an applicant will simply copy the duties from the announcement and past it verbatim into their resume, spelling errors and all.
                Also, how many people did a cover letter? They are practically for required for private sector positions, but seem to be hit or miss for Federal jobs. I've always done one to be safe, but I don't know if they are ever even a factor in the selection process. I know private sector companies that won't even look at a resume if there isn't an attached cover letter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
                  Also, how many people did a cover letter? They are practically for required for private sector positions, but seem to be hit or miss for Federal jobs. I've always done one to be safe, but I don't know if they are ever even a factor in the selection process. I know private sector companies that won't even look at a resume if there isn't an attached cover letter.
                  I didn't do one and I was still referred. I think the fact that they have the option to attach one says that sometimes it does make the difference between getting the interview/job or not. Who knows though??

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
                    I have never done a cover letter and I have never not been referred for internal or external announcements that I am qualified for. I have applied to announcement's that I don't qualify for and received the not referred (maybe a cover letter would have helped). It can not hurt to do a cover letter. There is no foul for doing one.

Comment

• Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
                      Man.........I hope you aren't in recruiting! HAHA! Well, contrary to popular belief, working $#!++Y cases and holidays is not exclusive to NCIS. I've worked every major holiday for the last 5 years and have been given tons of assignments that are less than desirable on several occasions. I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a law enforcement officer on this forum that doesn't have those job specifications AND any of those agents that you are referring to that were dumb enough to think it wouldn't happen to them deserves their misery in their job(sorry to be harsh).

If my concern was to be in the EASY, RIDICULOUSLY paid job with rock-star status then I'd stay right where I'm at. However, that's not what I'm looking for. I want the opportunity to work a variety of cases and I want the opportunity to get extra training in new things. Don't really care where I live right off the bat. Although the wife said the Middle East was OUT :-( To which I said BOOHOO...

Anyways, trust me when I say my eyes are wide open on this job.
                      Not in recruiting or anything like it. Just a street agent trying to give a little perspective. I'm sure NCIS will be grateful to have a rock star in the applicant pool.

Comment

• Don't mean to be crystal balling here, but does anyone know or heard if they plan to do more announcements in the next year or so. I have heard the story about wanting between 70-120 agents but was not sure if they were going to come from these last two announcements or additional announcements in the future. I applied from this last one and recv 2 No referrals for Norfolk and Mayport. Still waiting on Lejeune.
                        Last edited by dsb05c; 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Quick question for those that have received an email from a Sup SA, asking them to fill out the questionnaire; did you scan the paperwork and then send it back via email? I did not see any fax number or address to send the paperwork to. Any help is appreciated. Please PM me.
                          Thanks!

Comment

• I scanned and e-mailed mine. I received an e-mail a couple minutes later saying they received it

Comment

• Anyone get the security email today???

Comment

• Originally posted by Eyesontarget View Post
                                Anyone get the security email today???
                                Could you be more specific?? ARe we talking about the security questionnaire that everybody is having to fill out and e-mail back????

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13782 users online. 395 members and 13387 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X