300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
    From what I have a read the hiring process has changed can anyone give me an idea of what the process looks like now from start to finish. Thank you.
    Sgt_Jon and I have both posted summaries of what the process looks like in previous posts on this thread. You just need to look through our posts or search this thread.

Comment

• I just hope that training with my new job, both civilian and military (reserve) does not screw me by making me unable to attend a hiring event (interview, poly, etc). Unfortunately looking at my timeline, I think that it might.

Comment

• Originally posted by GixxerSteve View Post
        Well I'm a 10 point Marine vet, 8 years LEO with investigative experience, BS degree, halfway through MS, and I got my rejection letter for Newport GS-9. I applied for all locations, but I think I may have shot myself in the foot because I only selected GS-9 (ICE rated me as GS-9 two years ago with less experience, so I figured that was a safe choice). I just hope I still have a shot with the other locations.
        I like you only applied for GS-09. I am also a 10 point vet, Marines, 9 years LEO with Detective experience and worked as a FED GL-09 for 2 years as well. I only have an A.S. Don't give up. You might get referral letters for other places. With that being said, I got referred to Norfolk and Mayport, but have not received any other email or letter, so who knows. Good luck Devil Dog!

Comment

• Referred for all locations so far.
          No degree
          No military
          19 years of federal (current) and state investigative experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
            I just hope that training with my new job, both civilian and military (reserve) does not screw me by making me unable to attend a hiring event (interview, poly, etc). Unfortunately looking at my timeline, I think that it might.
            me too I am enlisting in the Coast Guard reserves in the next few weeks here and have basic plus my A school, so I know I'm going to end up missing something.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• It appears HR is making referrals based upon the questionnaire scores and whether you rated yourself as E for "expert" or D "performed this task without supervision." The majority of people getting referred appear to have extensive investigative experience.

Good Luck,
              The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
                It appears HR is making referrals based upon the questionnaire scores and whether you rated yourself as E for "expert" or D "performed this task without supervision." The majority of people getting referred appear to have extensive investigative experience.

Good Luck,
                No that is not quite true because every answer on my questionnaire was either "D" or "E" and I gave a long narrative as to the explanation of my duties.........I still didn't get referred. I still giving myself a little hope since I only got denials for gs9 for three locations. Maybe another round my come for the gs7??

Comment

• I always wondered where do you find out your score on the questionnaire
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                    I always wondered where do you find out your score on the questionnaire
                    Yeah I would like to know what areas I could improve but not sure if they provide that info. That would be a lot of people.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
                      I just hope that training with my new job, both civilian and military (reserve) does not screw me by making me unable to attend a hiring event (interview, poly, etc). Unfortunately looking at my timeline, I think that it might.
                      NCIS has been good at letting applicants defer interviews if they have meaningful reasons. I've met an agent who deployed to Iraq in the middle of the process. It took him a while to get hired, but they kept him in the pipeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                        Yeah I would like to know what areas I could improve but not sure if they provide that info. That would be a lot of people.
                        I would say look at NCIS website and look at what their mission is and adapt your resume to that. From what I'm seeing and hearing cyber crime, counterintelligence, and fraud are big deals at this agency. A neighbor of mine and her husband are former NCIS SA's as of recently and I was told that that type of training is crucial to them. If you aren't getting referred I would take a course in Cyber terrorism or network security, counterintelligence, and/or get your C.F.E to make yourself look more attractive. Beyond that, federal law enforcement experience is a definite plus.

Just my advice.......Take it for what it's worth; which might not be much!

Comment

• Here's a few questions..............say you get referred for every location at every pay grade and are given a conditional offer. How are personnel selected for each office? Do they call down the list and give you a choice of your top 3? Do they say "you are being given a conditional offer for Office X?"?? Or can you negotiate your office once they give you a conditional offer??? How do they select the grade you are at??? Do they look at your current pay and get you as close as they can based on what grades you were referred for??

When the FBI called I was told that I would come in at GS-10 step 10 because my pay was that high already and I was a federal employee. However, they are Competitive service. NCIS is Excepted Service. Just questions I thought maybe somebody who is currently NCIS could shed some light on......

Comment

• Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
                            Here's a few questions..............say you get referred for every location at every pay grade and are given a conditional offer. How are personnel selected for each office? Do they call down the list and give you a choice of your top 3? Do they say "you are being given a conditional offer for Office X?"?? Or can you negotiate your office once they give you a conditional offer??? How do they select the grade you are at??? Do they look at your current pay and get you as close as they can based on what grades you were referred for??

When the FBI called I was told that I would come in at GS-10 step 10 because my pay was that high already and I was a federal employee. However, they are Competitive service. NCIS is Excepted Service. Just questions I thought maybe somebody who is currently NCIS could shed some light on......
                            OPM approves all pay grades for every federal employee. Per OPM regs a current fed employee who switches jobs will be paid the highest grade and step that matches closest to his or her current pay grade that the position starts at. If you are not a federal employee you have to meet the requirements for say a GS 9 step 1 to be approved for that pay grade. However if the position also has a lower pay grade, let's say GS 7 step 1 you could be offered that pay grade also because you qualify for it too.

I have known many people to have masters degrees come on with an agency at the GS 7 level because the agency had a GS 7 slot available and not a GS 9 slot available when the class was put together.

I am not part of NCIS, but the OPM rules are the same for every Federal employee that is under the GS pay scale. If you have more questions opm.gov has answers. Hope that helps.

Comment

I would say look at NCIS website and look at what their mission is and adapt your resume to that. From what I'm seeing and hearing cyber crime, counterintelligence, and fraud are big deals at this agency. A neighbor of mine and her husband are former NCIS SA's as of recently and I was told that that type of training is crucial to them. If you aren't getting referred I would take a course in Cyber terrorism or network security, counterintelligence, and/or get your C.F.E to make yourself look more attractive. Beyond that, federal law enforcement experience is a definite plus.

Just a note, while NCIS certainly places a lot of emphasis on those things, as a new agent you will almost certainly be working general crimes for your first tour. If you are not willing to work death cases and sexual assault cases at a busy office, please stop your application now before any more time is wasted. If you're not willing to spend Christmas working a suicide, this is not the agency for you.

We tend to get a lot of applicants who, when interviewed, say they are willing to do anything and everything to get the job, but when they get the call to be a GS7/1 at Camp Pendleton working Family and Sexual Violence, suddenly they are not so willing. At that point, the agency's wasted dozens of man hours on polygraphs and the 2A, so please don't be that person.

Comment

Well I currently work for US Probation and we are 6c covered. We conduct investigations and write reports for federal judges but I'm not sure how this experience is viewed by other alphabet agencies. Counter terrorism/intelligence are not really an option with my current employment. I'll just try to develop computer forensic certifications which I just got into. Already a DT instructor, going to be a firearms instructor and glock armorer in the next couple months. Think I shot myself in the foot by only selecting GS9. Also answered C for most of the questions as supervisors sign off on all reports and investigations we do. But it is usually just the finished product. Just use this as a learning experience and be better prepared next time. Hopefully it won't be several years. Good luck to those moving on in the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4983 users online. 235 members and 4748 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X