Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the requirement or standard for getting transferred overseas? Is it for example... 3 years in the U.S. than after that transferred to another country? Also what's the passing rate of the panel? And what is the starting pay when initially getting hired?

Sorry just trying to see if it is worth it to pay the cost I would have to fork up to get to the interview.

3 kids makes it a tough decision on a tight budget.

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by StateChamp View Post
      What's the requirement or standard for getting transferred overseas? Is it for example... 3 years in the U.S. than after that transferred to another country?
      Depends. Typically PCS'es overseas are 2 years. Some come back to the States afterwards, but D.C. or HQ seems to be the only "for sure" assignments in the U.S. (I have a coworker who came back from Japan, so it just depends on what is open and what skillsets you have).

Also what's the passing rate of the panel?
      No clue, you'd have to ask an AC or HQ type about that. I do know it's the largest portion of people being screened out of the process, but no figures on the actual percentage or anything mathematical to offer.

And what is the starting pay when initially getting hired?
      Most new agents are hired at GS-09 (we tend to hire a lot with advanced degrees, as well as agents from other agencies, those with extensive intel/investigative/other critical skills backgrounds). I believe GS-07 is the lowest grade we hire at, and I've known some that came on as GS-11 and GS-13 (the 13's were already 1811 13's with other federal agencies).

Sorry just trying to see if it is worth it to pay the cost I would have to fork up to get to the interview.

3 kids makes it a tough decision on a tight budget.
      Do what's best for your family, regardless of what choice that is. Best to find out this job isn't right for you before having the agency spend a lot of money on you for background investigations, training, salary, etc. If you like the "idea" of being a fed or working for NCIS, talk to your family and see if this is really the right move for you. If you come to this agency, you WILL be expected to go overseas (whether PCS, deployments, or various TDY assignments) which can range between weeks to years in length. The agent has a lot of control over their career path in most respects, but agency needs come first for all federal jobs, and NCIS is no exception.

You sound to be on the fence about NCIS, not just from this post, but from past descussion you and I have had. I would say if you are not 100% sure that this is the right job and move for you, don't do it. I spent a lot of money to pay for my move across 5 states, relocated my family, had a wife who was unemployed for months (and we were living paycheck to paycheck for the first year or so), and several other stresses that made life difficult, but my wife has supported me 100% and I'm happy doing this job each day.

I mean no disrespect in saying this, but it's best to not come to this job if you're not committed to it, because it's not an easy job, and can be difficult on families at times. In the end, do whatever is best for your family.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
        Depends. Typically PCS'es overseas are 2 years. Some come back to the States afterwards, but D.C. or HQ seems to be the only "for sure" assignments in the U.S. (I have a coworker who came back from Japan, so it just depends on what is open and what skillsets you have).

No clue, you'd have to ask an AC or HQ type about that. I do know it's the largest portion of people being screened out of the process, but no figures on the actual percentage or anything mathematical to offer.

Most new agents are hired at GS-09 (we tend to hire a lot with advanced degrees, as well as agents from other agencies, those with extensive intel/investigative/other critical skills backgrounds). I believe GS-07 is the lowest grade we hire at, and I've known some that came on as GS-11 and GS-13 (the 13's were already 1811 13's with other federal agencies).

Do what's best for your family, regardless of what choice that is. Best to find out this job isn't right for you before having the agency spend a lot of money on you for background investigations, training, salary, etc. If you like the "idea" of being a fed or working for NCIS, talk to your family and see if this is really the right move for you. If you come to this agency, you WILL be expected to go overseas (whether PCS, deployments, or various TDY assignments) which can range between weeks to years in length. The agent has a lot of control over their career path in most respects, but agency needs come first for all federal jobs, and NCIS is no exception.

You sound to be on the fence about NCIS, not just from this post, but from past descussion you and I have had. I would say if you are not 100% sure that this is the right job and move for you, don't do it. I spent a lot of money to pay for my move across 5 states, relocated my family, had a wife who was unemployed for months (and we were living paycheck to paycheck for the first year or so), and several other stresses that made life difficult, but my wife has supported me 100% and I'm happy doing this job each day.

I mean no disrespect in saying this, but it's best to not come to this job if you're not committed to it, because it's not an easy job, and can be difficult on families at times. In the end, do whatever is best for your family.
        Kimble,

Thanks for the informative post, you are right I am on the fence about coming on to the agency. And like you said I am trying to do what is right for me and my family at this time. It is a really tough decision because I really want to be a Fed and NCIS looks really appealing and interesting to me. At the same time I have my family obligations and responsibilities and I am the sole provider for my family's income. I guess I am going to have to really look at this and talk it over with the wife to see if this would be the best fit for us as a whole.

Again I appreciate the feedback and you have always answered my questions thoroughly each time.

Comment

Is there any gouge on when NCIS might put up another announcement?
          Big Brother is watching

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
            Is there any gouge on when NCIS might put up another announcement?
            I do not think that anyone knows for sure. With the budget cuts, limited number of new hires for FY 2010, and the quantity of people from the previous posting, I do not think anyone will know for sure until it happens. I would just keep checking the NCIS website from time to time.

StateChamp - As to your posts, I agree with Kimble. I am in the process right now and am also a sole provider for my wife and child. What I can tell you is that I was laid off a few months ago and that did not make me even blink when they asked me to interview. While money was very tight and it is a gamble to go through the process and any costs without any gurantees, it was well worth it for me. This is my dream job and I would not let something deter me. I did discuss everything about this job with my family first, so from the day I applied we had already made the decision go through the application process and the move should I be lucky enough to get an offer. My interview was 7.5 hours from where I live. I just thought I would give you my perspective in case it might help. Speak with your family about the process, what if they say no and what if they make you an offer. Plan for everything and then make a family decision.

Comment

Thank you for your input Undersiege, Yeah it is a very tough decision to make. I am struggling on doing the right thing. It is very tough when I would have to dip into my kid's christmas to pay for the cost to get to the interview without a guarantee of a job. I am working with the AC to discuss some options that might be open to me. Again, I appreciate the feedback and I will for sure do what is right for my family's sake.

Originally posted by undersiege View Post
              I do not think that anyone knows for sure. With the budget cuts, limited number of new hires for FY 2010, and the quantity of people from the previous posting, I do not think anyone will know for sure until it happens. I would just keep checking the NCIS website from time to time.

StateChamp - As to your posts, I agree with Kimble. I am in the process right now and am also a sole provider for my wife and child. What I can tell you is that I was laid off a few months ago and that did not make me even blink when they asked me to interview. While money was very tight and it is a gamble to go through the process and any costs without any gurantees, it was well worth it for me. This is my dream job and I would not let something deter me. I did discuss everything about this job with my family first, so from the day I applied we had already made the decision go through the application process and the move should I be lucky enough to get an offer. My interview was 7.5 hours from where I live. I just thought I would give you my perspective in case it might help. Speak with your family about the process, what if they say no and what if they make you an offer. Plan for everything and then make a family decision.

Comment

Four of my buddies just got offers for NCIS. Two start on Monday and two start early December. All four got the hiring pool letter about 4 months ago. I got mine one month ago so hopefully I will get the call soon. My buddy who starts on Monday said right now they are hiring as they go and as of right now there will not be one big class of ncis but a couple here and there added to ongoing classes. There one or two big classes may start in June so the rumor goes As for a new announcement, I know there are alot of applicants waiting for interviews and backgrounds so it may be a while. My buddy also said he does not know what kind of impact ncis not having a director right now has. The good news is NSPS has been revoked so NCIS goes back to GS [URL="http://www.nffe.org/ht/display/Articles"]by Jan 2012 and all new hires are being put on gs within nsps and FERS finally get credit for sick leave. All this was part of the 2010 defense bill. SWEET

Comment

Originally posted by airisfine View Post
                  My buddy who starts on Monday said right now they are hiring as they go and as of right now there will not be one big class of ncis but a couple here and there added to ongoing classes. There one or two big classes may start in June so the rumor goes
                  Awesome news, but, I am wondering now, if there are a handful of folks for NCIS going to FLETC here and there, are they also piecemilling SABT? How interesting would that be to have a SABT class of only 4 guys/ladies? Interesting. I am looking forward to what is going to happen next on my favorite daytime drama

Comment

Four of my buddies just got offers for NCIS. Two start on Monday and two start early December.
                    Cool, what offices are they going to?
                    The good news is NSPS has been revoked so NCIS goes back to GS [URL="http://www.nffe.org/ht/display/Articles"]by Jan 2012 and all new hires are being put on gs within nsps and FERS finally get credit for sick leave. All this was part of the 2010 defense bill. SWEET
                    That's not entirely true. Obama did sign legislation that would revoke NSPS, but it does not mean an automatic return to the GS system. There are basically 3 options: return to the GS system, DoD develops another pay-for-performance paybanding system, or come up with another idea (no clue what that would be, though) that gets congressional approval. Word from one of our deputy directors was that returning to the GS system appears to be "full steam ahead," but it's not a final decision yet.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nFury8 View Post
                      Awesome news, but, I am wondering now, if there are a handful of folks for NCIS going to FLETC here and there, are they also piecemilling SABT? How interesting would that be to have a SABT class of only 4 guys/ladies?
                      Having an SABT of only 4 or so trainees would be a tremendous waste of resources, so I don't see that happening. SABT does occassionally have 1811-only classes (composed of 1811's from other agencies hired by NCIS), so it is possible to stick a few CITP graduates (assuming you had a class smaller than the typical 24+/- CITP graduates) into one of them if seats were available.
                      sigpic

Comment

Two friends are going to Lejune, one goes to Jacksonville and one goes to San Diego. All were there first choice. Kimble, you are right about options, as far as GS goes but I know paybanding right now is dead, in general. At least it seams that way with this administration. Our agency is leaving pay banding and going to GS. All the info as far as NCIS and new hires are what I have been told by my four buddies who got the call. As far as accuracy goes, that I cannot be sure of. I am just passing what they tell me along.

Comment

Our agency is leaving pay banding and going to GS.
                          FAMS is leaving paybanding, or all of TSA is? Is that good for you FAMs (i.e. will your journeyman level top out at or better than what you have under paybanding? If it's good news for you guys, congrats!
                          sigpic

Comment

Two friends are going to Lejune, one goes to Jacksonville and one goes to San Diego. All were there first choice. Kimble, you are right about options, as far as GS goes but I know paybanding right now is dead, in general. At least it seams that way with this administration. Our agency is leaving pay banding and going to GS. All the info as far as NCIS and new hires are what I have been told by my four buddies who got the call. As far as accuracy goes, that I cannot be sure of. I am just passing what they tell me along.
                            Airisfine, thanks so much for passing along that info. It is good to hear that the hiring continues. I was wondering what critical skills your friends had? It is great the NSPS system is phasing out and that new hires go into a GS or GS similar system.

Comment

Any news on that new Los Angeles office being opened up? I admit, I don't watch that show, but how does CBS get away with such a gross error?

Comment

I'm still waiting to hear back from NCIS. It's still states Pending BI.
                                Last edited by thermal; 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9554 users online. 443 members and 9111 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X