300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Schwook View Post
    I wish they would give you more time to plan a move...
    Depending upon how one chooses to move, you could end up with about seven months to move - most new hires report to a field office for approximately 3-4 weeks, prior to reporting to FLETC. As such, if you so choose, you could reside in an extended-stay hotel, Airbnb, etc., then report to FLETC for your six months of training, then move into your permanent residence between graduation and your first day in the office after graduation. Obviously, this approach may or may not be the best, depending upon one's unique situation; family requirements, current leases, house-hunting, and many other variables should be considered. Just another option to contemplate. Now, once you are on the job for a few years, you will have a specific time frame for completing your PCS, based upon agency policy and JTR.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbp1363 View Post
      I wonder what they mean when they say your location will not be local. Say you live in NC, and they assign you Jacksonville. Is that considered not local because you moved out of state or would that be considered local because they are relatively close to each other?
      NC to Jacksonville, FL, is a possibility. However, some people end up moving from one coast to the other. Ultimately, the needs of the agency are what drive the job offers. The logic is simple. If you offer someone a position near where he or she is already living, then said person is more likely to jump ship to another agency when it comes time to PCS, as that person has become deeply-embedded in one location. Obviously, having people jump ship because they don't want to move is costly for the agency - not only are they losing valuable human resources in whom they have invested a great deal, but the agency is also left with unfilled billets; this creates a greater workload on the remaining agents and decreases operational effectiveness. This approach is not unique to NCIS - the Secret Service does it, as well, for the same reasons.

Comment

• cbp1363
        cbp1363 commented
        Editing a comment
        This makes a lot sense. The agency has been very open and honest about the agency’s mobility requirements. Hopefully I can get something on my wishlist but if not, oh well maybe in the future.

• Schwook
        Schwook commented
        Editing a comment
        This makes sense and thanks for the tips above. I totally forgot about Air BnB. What if you tell them that you’re a super good boy and NCIS is the only agency that you have, will, and would ever dream working for? /s

But seriously, I understand the rationale. I would have loved to stay my whole naval career in San Diego, but, Bahrain needs bodies too.

• Two people already have job offers from NCIS. So they should start making calls. They won't always move you across the coast. My coworkers in dc got the offer for va beach.

Comment

• mercede_morga
        mercede_morga commented
        Editing a comment
        They messaged me on here.

• cbp1363
        cbp1363 commented
        Editing a comment
        From the previous info that means 29 spots left lol and I’m sure there are a lot of applicants who don’t know about this forum.

• Sdle75
        Sdle75 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a close friend at glynco now and he informed there are almost monthly CITP classes getting picked up. If you dont get called up now, you will sooner or later since agent manning with NCIS is currently at 1200 sworn and they're looking to boost numbers to 2000

• 1811hunter
        1811hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Dunno about 2000.... But 1500-1600 probably is a more likely number.

• Is there any point in applying to the current cyber announcement for NCIS if you don’t have the one year of cyber security experience or a degree related to computers? The wording says applicicanrs “should have” not “must”

Comment

• Schwook
        Schwook commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, consider the conditions. There are going to be thousands of applicants with the various computer certifications that they are asking for as well as computer science degrees. I would say if you don't have any IT experience it would be a huge shot in the dark. I apply to everything though. Why not?

• Anyone else losing their mind just to hear any answer or even an email and they just say hey your at the hiring board they meet this day and stand by hahah government man it’s as slow as it gets

Comment

• On the mobility agreement... I'm just trying to get a gauge on what a career would look like with mobility and PCS. Been in the Federal career hunt a little bit (vet, current 0083, DoJ internship in college). And from talking to other agencies I've gotten the range from "It's rare to non-existent for them to voluntell people to move" all the way to "plan on moving semi-regularly because we consider the mix of experiences at different field offices important for career development".

Mobility isn't a problem for me, but I'm trying to gauge what a normal career looks like, especially since NCIS has a lot of overseas opportunities, SA afloat etc.

Received my COE 2 weeks ago. And a coworker looks like he's going to be getting his in the next few days.
        Last edited by ag189; 08-08-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Sdle75
          Sdle75 commented
          Editing a comment
          The agent that did my polygraph had been in the Southwest Region for 15 years. A friend of mine who's an agent in the same region has been in the same field office for over 7 years. From what it looks like, you can easily request to PCS or stay at current field offices. My friend also told me that its not impossible for me to stay at my home of record for my first field office since its a huge hub for NCIS.

• Kmiech
          Kmiech commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve heard the opposite from an agent with another agency who went to CITP with a few in NCIS. If you read the full thread, a few agents with the agency comment on the mobility agreement. They have posted that you will have to move for this job even for your initial assignment. Take that for what’s it worth or read the thread yourself. I’m sure everyone’s path is different. Good luck to you.

• >To Sdle75 and Kmiech

Yeah that's my info too: basically inconsistent and all over the place. The recruiting agent in my call said they are making a priority to move people for their first assignment....but that its not uncommon for applicants from say, San Diego, to get a San Diego base. Didn't broach the mobility agreement.

And it was like that at my internship at another agency. One SA spent a 30 year career from GS-7 to Deputy SAC at our field office. An agent in my group got voluntold to move cross county.

Comment

• Schwook
          Schwook commented
          Editing a comment
          If you’re from Florida, assume you’re moving to Silverdale, WA. If not, it’s just a bonus.

• Worst part is the waiting game.

Comment

• Schwook
          Schwook commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel the same, but then I look at some of the other 1811 positions (ATF, DEA) that have taken people since late 2016 to even get to the medical screening and I feel better.

• mercede_morga
          mercede_morga commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah i know. This is the fastest process I have ever been through. I am currently a federal employee.

• Received official offer this morning. My report date will be October 1, 2018. I received my number one preference. CITP (Criminal Investigators Training Program) runs from 10/15/2018 - 01/09/2019 and NCIS SABTP (Special Agent Basic Training Program) runs from 1/10/2019 - 3/27/2019.

Comment

• mercede_morga
          mercede_morga commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats. Hopefully more calls will go out today.

• Schwook
          Schwook commented
          Editing a comment
          Which location??? You can PM me if you want.

• mercede_morga
          mercede_morga commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I am curious what location as well

• Got offered. Same report date as MAC.

Comment

• Got my final offer today! I start with NCIS on October 1st in Mayport, FL with an academy date on October 15th.

Comment

• Schwook
            Schwook commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice dude. So we've got guys going to Norfolk, Jacksonville, Mayport, and Silverdale.
            Last edited by Schwook; 08-10-2018, 04:27 PM. Reason: Oops

• So, anyone wanna PM me about where they're going? Can give you the scoop if you're headed my way.

Also regarding mobility: seems like conus offices are kind of stay as long as you want until we force move you. Oconus is a hard 3 years, 5 tears if you extend.

Initial assignment: set your expectations to assume you will move cords country, they absolutely do not hire in place now. They used to but not anymore. Logic being, if they hire in place, you'll stay for as long as you can and then when they tell you to move, you quit because you want to stay home. Believe me, I tried to stay where I processed, but I had to move to the opposite coast. There are a few exceptions but those don't happen too often. But, definitely take it even if you have to move, unless you have some reason you can't... Because I think this agency is well worth the move. I see job satisfaction from everyone.

Comment

• Congratulations on all the offers guys still waiting to hear back on anything. Where is everyone going

Comment

• Schwook
              Schwook commented
              Editing a comment
              Cafo.......

• I've had a few people message me congratulating me for getting an offer. Thank you!

There have also been a few that have complained about being turned down for the "20th time" and asking me if I have an "in" at NCIS. No, I don't have an "in". I applied and fought for the job like everyone else. I called the local field office and kept in touch. I pestered the HR folks. Nothing special. Also, if you've been turned down for the "20th time" then perhaps some internalization of those projected feelings is in order.

Congrats to everyone that has received offers and is still in the hunt! Keep fighting!

Comment

• mercede_morga
              mercede_morga commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you call hr? I just have emails

• I've been waiting to hear something back since the spring email asking if I would be willing to take a GS-7. Anyone else in the same boat?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10744 users online. 498 members and 10246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X