300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tackle and Grapple View Post
    To be honest with you, I don't think they wonder why they can't fill FLETC classes.
    NCIS has not had difficulty in filling FLETC classes. At best, this comment is old news, which makes it something of a "red herring". Suffice to say that it bears no relevance to today's discussion. The relevant concern is NCIS' continued commitment to maintaining the highest standards for its special agents, as well as its professional staff. With this foremost in our minds, were NCIS to find that it lacked sufficient numbers of high quality applicants, NCIS would rather run a class short or even cancel a class, than NCIS compromise its standards. Given all that is expected of NCIS special agents, does this seem unreasonable?

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
      Having started my law enforcement career with the Navy that absolutely sucks. I hate when agencies waste your time, pass everything only to have them pass on your package and not providing a reason as to why. Unfortunately it happens a lot! I hope you won't bother investing all that time and energy with NCIS again. It's bs on so many levels.
      No one, to include myself, will suggest that it is very disappointing to receive a turn-down letter. The applicant did not "pass everything", and it is disingenuous to suggest that he/she had. The hiring board is a significant stage, in which the totality of the applicant's package is considered. NCIS appreciates that people invest time and energy into applying for an NCIS special agent position and care about the outcome. With that said, it would be helpful to remember that NCIS, like any other Federal law enforcement agency, invests time and resources into its applicants. Decisions regarding applicants are not made casually. The applicant process is designed to provide a rigorous examination of the applicant. The intent of this is to afford NCIS the ability to make an informed decision. I will add that, as I have said in the previous posts, do not get discouraged. If you want to be an NCIS special agent, then reapply when you're eligible. No one keeps score in terms of how many times you had to apply. They only care about how good you are once you're on the job. Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDamonFactor View Post
        Not surprising. NCIS is an agency that does not know how to hire or budget effectively. If you're thinking of applying consider putting in elsewhere.

TDF
        I am disappointed to see another "red herring" being used to distract from what is generally a productive discussion on this board. No one is saying that NCIS is perfect, but this sort of sweeping language doesn't serve anyone well. The truth is far more mundane. NCIS, like any other government agency, and particularly DoD agencies, suffers from the vicissitudes of the Federal budget process.

Comment

• "Vicissitudes?"....you"re rolling out the big words today.....lol!!!

Comment

• I need to start utilitizing my dictionary when visiting this forum!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tackle and Grapple View Post
              This is only my two cents, but I believe the main goal of NCIS last year was to burn through their budget. I think that meant spending budget on background investigators, and medical staff. I believe if you were already a federal LEO, and 1811, that you had a good shot in finishing the process in such a short amount of time. If you were lucky enough to finish the process before the end of the fiscal year, they would squeeze you into an academy class, if not, they would tell you to try again next year. Being an 1801, I think I barely missed the cutoff, therefor was told to try again next year. The process wasn't easy, and I am not really interested in going through it multiple times, when I don't think their main goal is to necessarily hire a lot of people.

I wish all of you now in the process good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy the position, if selected.
              NCIS was not "burning its budget". NCIS uses its own resources (i.e. NCIS employees) to conduct all aspects of the hiring process, with the exception of the medical examination and drug testing. Regardless of whether you are a current Federal LEO, to include being an 1811, there are no short-cuts for the special agent applicant process. The rigorous nature of the process necessitates that it will not be easy. Then again, being a special agent is not easy.

With respect to the budget, the reality, as mundane as it may seem, is that NCIS does its best to plan for the future based on the best available information. At some point, decisions must be made. Unfortunately, as anyone with anytime in or around the Federal government can attest, the vicissitudes of the Federal budget process, along with unexpected events, tend to impact previous decisions and force adjustments.

Anyone who was around in 2013 will vividly recall the painful grind that resulted from the threat of Sequestration and then its final implementation. Starting in mid FY-12, we determined that Sequestration was likely to occur. The uncertainty played out for over a year. Were told initially we would have to be furloughed for 22 days and as each week passed, we received new information. Sometimes we were told we could avoid it. In other cases, the number shifted downward. Starting in October, 2012, the uncertainty increased until we received the final number of days. As soon as the FY-13 Furlough was done, we moved into an orderly shutdown of the Federal government due to the lack of an FY-14 budget. We had a hiring freeze imposed, and were led to believe there would be no changes in the foreseeable future. Then, in January 2014, we were suddenly told to hire. This is the nature of the beast. I think we all would agree there has to be a better way, but for now, this is the system we must live with.

I hope this helps provide clarification. Try to stay positive. Good luck!

Comment

• Ronin86, good input. Based on your knowledge, experience and general opinion what do you think the likelihood would be that NCIS gets applicants on board before the new FY?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronin86 View Post
                  NCIS was not "burning its budget". NCIS uses its own resources (i.e. NCIS employees) to conduct all aspects of the hiring process, with the exception of the medical examination and drug testing. Regardless of whether you are a current Federal LEO, to include being an 1811, there are no short-cuts for the special agent applicant process. The rigorous nature of the process necessitates that it will not be easy. Then again, being a special agent is not easy.

With respect to the budget, the reality, as mundane as it may seem, is that NCIS does its best to plan for the future based on the best available information. At some point, decisions must be made. Unfortunately, as anyone with anytime in or around the Federal government can attest, the vicissitudes of the Federal budget process, along with unexpected events, tend to impact previous decisions and force adjustments.

Anyone who was around in 2013 will vividly recall the painful grind that resulted from the threat of Sequestration and then its final implementation. Starting in mid FY-12, we determined that Sequestration was likely to occur. The uncertainty played out for over a year. Were told initially we would have to be furloughed for 22 days and as each week passed, we received new information. Sometimes we were told we could avoid it. In other cases, the number shifted downward. Starting in October, 2012, the uncertainty increased until we received the final number of days. As soon as the FY-13 Furlough was done, we moved into an orderly shutdown of the Federal government due to the lack of an FY-14 budget. We had a hiring freeze imposed, and were led to believe there would be no changes in the foreseeable future. Then, in January 2014, we were suddenly told to hire. This is the nature of the beast. I think we all would agree there has to be a better way, but for now, this is the system we must live with.

I hope this helps provide clarification. Try to stay positive. Good luck!
                  NCIS does not ONLY use its own resources (i.e. NCIS employees) to conduct "all aspects of the hiring process". Speaking only for San Diego, NCIS reached out and hired many retired NCIS Special Agents to conduct background investigations, including my own. This does indeed use additional funds from the NCIS budget. As I stated in my earlier posts, I think NCIS was looking for certain individuals that were already further down the line (i.e. 1811's). Otherwise, why would NCIS be pushing less qualified people through the process, with such a tight timeline, knowing full well that there are "no short-cuts for the special agent applicant process"?

Again, good luck to all of you in the process.

Comment

• Received a letter a week ago stating I'd successfully completed the process and have been placed in the hiring pool. Here's to hoping they get the budget in order before my time in the pool expires.

Comment

• Congratulations. I imagine (and really hope) they get approved to hire next FY. As far as I know they didn't hire any new agents this FY, the only schools they ran where for those that got hired September 2015 that didn't get a school seat immediately. So I could only assume they are a little short staffed right now and in need of some new agents. Good luck.

Comment

• Well, Haven't received any letter. I guess Im still clinching the hiring pool. Congrats BF280! Hopefully, Ill be joining you soon.

Comment

• Well got another email from 10D asking if I wish to remain in the hiring pool. Of course I responded yes. They are still tentatively scheduled for two CITP classes this FY. Here's to hoping they are authorized to hire this year and we get the call! It's been a long wait but I know and have worked with several great NCIS agents and know the wait will definitely be worth it. Good luck to all still in the process.

Comment

• I also received the same email. Or at least I assume it was the same. Mine wanted my most recent SF50 and mentioned the two CITP classes tentatively scheduled for FY17.

Comment

• Yeah same one.

Comment

• Haven't heard or received anything. I can only assume I am out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3896 users online. 217 members and 3679 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X