300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by echat12 View Post
    I forwarded my resume to an NCIS agent I met and he sent it up to HQ and this is the response I got.

"I sent ******'s resume to one of my contacts at HQ and was informed that although their job experience is really good, it is tough for anyone to get through without Veterans' Preference. A suggestion is to go for an 1801 and/or 1810 position to at least get on board with us and then try after the veterans' preference is dropped as a requirement."

So there's that. But what I don't understand is if they are so hard up for agents, why aren't they hiring more people with good experience who don't have VP? And also, I am sure there are some people who have made it through since March who don't have VP.
    The simple answer is that they are required to apply VP. So, when they post a vacancy, although you may score 99 on the questionnaire, any vet that scores at least 89 (10-point vet) or 94 (5-point vet) must be considered over you. So, despite you being more qualified based on the questionnaire, VP trumps you.

Comment

I forwarded my resume to an NCIS agent I met and he sent it up to HQ and this is the response I got.

"I sent ******'s resume to one of my contacts at HQ and was informed that although their job experience is really good, it is tough for anyone to get through without Veterans' Preference. A suggestion is to go for an 1801 and/or 1810 position to at least get on board with us and then try after the veterans' preference is dropped as a requirement."

So there's that. But what I don't understand is if they are so hard up for agents, why aren't they hiring more people with good experience who don't have VP? And also, I am sure there are some people who have made it through since March who don't have VP.
      I had the same concerns as I wasn't even referred last year to the March 2014 announcement. At my interview in March 2015, I asked about it and they said that they had to only consider vets previously but they could now look at non vets. I was a non vet and was able to get in the process so keep applying. Had same issue with Secret Service where I wasn't even referred but a current fed. Just be patient and keep applying. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
        I had the same concerns as I wasn't even referred last year to the March 2014 announcement. At my interview in March 2015, I asked about it and they said that they had to only consider vets previously but they could now look at non vets. I was a non vet and was able to get in the process so keep applying. Had same issue with Secret Service where I wasn't even referred but a current fed. Just be patient and keep applying. Good luck.
        Oh I did apply in March 2015 and did get referred but never got interviewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
          The simple answer is that they are required to apply VP. So, when they post a vacancy, although you may score 99 on the questionnaire, any vet that scores at least 89 (10-point vet) or 94 (5-point vet) must be considered over you. So, despite you being more qualified based on the questionnaire, VP trumps you.

Yes so expand the parameters. Accept those vets plus more people. They can't complain about losing 40% of their workforce and not having enough classes to fill when they are getting the applicants and not even interviewing them

Comment

Oh I did apply in March 2015 and did get referred but never got interviewed.
            Applied December 2014, referred in January 2015, interviewed and poly March 2015, Drug test, background investigation April 2015. Requested to remove myself from process May 2015.

Comment

What I don't understand is that, according to my ability to read government hiring rules, NCIS is in the excepted service, which I think means that they can hire whoever they want.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...epted-service/

I don't see anywhere where it says that veterans have to be considered first. But then again, it is the government, so nothing really makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                What I don't understand is that, according to my ability to read government hiring rules, NCIS is in the excepted service, which I think means that they can hire whoever they want.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...epted-service/

I don't see anywhere where it says that veterans have to be considered first. But then again, it is the government, so nothing really makes sense.
                They are excepted service, but this is included with all of their vacancies: "Qualified U.S. Citizens: Current Federal employees and applicants eligible for veteran's preference receive selection priority."

My guess is that DoN/DoD regs require all affiliated agencies, whether excepted service or not, to give VP given they fall under DoD. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

Comment

They are excepted service, but this is included with all of their vacancies: "Qualified U.S. Citizens: Current Federal employees and applicants eligible for veteran's preference receive selection priority."

My guess is that DoN/DoD regs require all affiliated agencies, whether excepted service or not, to give VP given they fall under DoD. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.
                  Your speculation is legit, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and chances are, not many people might know anyway. But I still think that they could hire whoever they wanted without making applicants compete with each other. Or maybe this hiring practice is reserved for special cases, like family members, and the such.

Comment

• Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                    Your speculation is legit, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and chances are, not many people might know anyway. But I still think that they could hire whoever they wanted without making applicants compete with each other. Or maybe this hiring practice is reserved for special cases, like family members, and the such.
                    The whole idea of excepted service for some 1811 agencies, but not all, is beyond me. If the whole purpose of excepted service is to allow "agencies to hire when it is not feasible or not practical to use traditional competitive hiring procedures," then how is it that some 1811's have and others don't? As anyone that has applied to an 1811 job can attest, there are many more qualified applicants than positions available, so how is it that it is not feasible or practical for any 1811 agency to use competitive service? And, if one 1811 agency has it, why don't all, given that most entry level positions require the same set of skills and requirements.

In my opinion (which means literally nothing to anyone else) is that excepted service makes sense when you are trying to hire a board-certified periodontist with at least 10 years of experience in gum reconstruction surgery to work in Adak, Alaska. But not when you are trying to hire SA's to work in NCIS (or any other 1811 agency).

Comment

• Guys don't look so much into who is eligible to apply, excepted service, etc. etc. If you scroll through the 96 pages on this forum you will see all types of people get the call and all types of people get DQ'd to include current feds, current 1811's, vets, and those who don't possess any of those..

Comment

• Has anyone else received the call or have any recent knowledge that hasn't been shared.

Comment

• Any new NCIS news???

Nada. I'm losing my mind. I've only heard of one person from March getting the call. I watched my phone all day. Had 1 phone call from a VA area code (which is the office I'm out of) answered it with speed, accuracy, professionalism, and poise. It was a State Farm salesman. I was not happy.

QUOTE=federal30;3693647]Has anyone else received the call or have any recent knowledge that hasn't been shared.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by d-g-m View Post
                            Nada. I'm losing my mind. I've only heard of one person from March getting the call. I watched my phone all day. Had 1 phone call from a VA area code (which is the office I'm out of) answered it with speed, accuracy, professionalism, and poise. It was a State Farm salesman. I was not happy.

QUOTE=federal30;3693647]Has anyone else received the call or have any recent knowledge that hasn't been shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
                            Haha hang in there bro we got this! BTW was it Jake from state farm?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Man you sound like me. I be checking my cell phone, work phone, checking the home phone, and my email.

Soon as I got out of court today I logged on and saw there was a 96 page added. I thought yall were "talking about getting the call."

So I feel your pain. I'm usually patient and not bothered by much. However, this process is breaking me.

Comment

• Does anyone know is it normal to get contacted for drug test before medical exam or it doesn't matter the order its in?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9494 users online. 477 members and 9017 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X