Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to my POC, my package is done and being sent to HQ for review. Here is to hoping for a final offer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
      Just curious, but how would LEAP have been a downgrade? My understanding is that AUO is capped at 25%, so, at worst, LEAP would be the same as whatever AUO you are receiving, and at best, LEAP would be more.
      I apologize if this is getting too off topic... Mods please let me know and I can delete this.

Let's say I'm a GS13 Step 4 on DC locality. That puts base pay at ~$100k.

LEAP: Pretty much mandatory 50hrs = $960/PP = $25k/yr
      COPRA: If I wanted to work 10hrs OT/week I would be doubling LEAP - I would only need to work 5 hours extra a week to match.

This doesn't take into account night differential (15 or 20%) as well as holidays (if volunteered for). I can potentially cap at $35k.

Is my current LEO position as high speed and glamorous? Nope. Am I too invested in my current position? Unfortunately it appears I am.

One less person for you guys to complete with!

Comment

• To leave CBP i'd take a 7/1!

Comment

• Originally posted by coogi86 View Post
          To leave CBP i'd take a 7/1!
          Judging by your location I'm not surprised... I've had it pretty good over the last ten years.

Good luck!

Comment

• My interviewer told me that if anything the March guys would go to a Sept class. To late for june. I've seen stranger things happen with the gov. So I'll wait and see.

Can anyone offer some more insight as to morale etc? I know one poster did. But perhaps more if possible? And such investigations/duties how they like the job?

I've heard mixed things like it's a ridic amount of paperwork to its a good job with alot of things to stay busy

Comment

• Let's see...

I've been rejected on two different announcements at the application level with NCIS. The last announcement rejected me three separate times as I recall. I've got zero LE and zero Military = zero chance?

I love the time lines, but you also need to make a commitment to time windows and I'd have to travel far each time...that's a lot of money. I think I arrived at my decision to not approach NCIS this round while typing this message. You're welcome, no fierce competition from me on this one.

Good luck!
              bruddahbean
              The Keeper of The Listâ„¢
              Fan of All Who Receiveth The Callâ„¢
              Believer in the ~bean Suffix

Comment

• Originally posted by helmet91 View Post
                I apologize if this is getting too off topic... Mods please let me know and I can delete this.

Let's say I'm a GS13 Step 4 on DC locality. That puts base pay at ~$100k.

LEAP: Pretty much mandatory 50hrs = $960/PP = $25k/yr
                COPRA: If I wanted to work 10hrs OT/week I would be doubling LEAP - I would only need to work 5 hours extra a week to match.

This doesn't take into account night differential (15 or 20%) as well as holidays (if volunteered for). I can potentially cap at $35k.

Is my current LEO position as high speed and glamorous? Nope. Am I too invested in my current position? Unfortunately it appears I am.

One less person for you guys to complete with!
                One thing that I learned a long time ago is that sometimes in order to get one step ahead, you have to take two steps back. I will be losing over $25,000 a year during the first year, but I will no longer be wearing that uniform, and I will be working for an agency that treats me like an adult and doing a job that provides so much more opportunity and satisfaction. Within a few years I will be making more money than I ever could have earned in the Border Patrol and not sitting in my truck staring as the fence rusts.

GL-7 Step 10 with 25% LEAP is still around $71,000/yr RUS. I decided when I got this job never to put myself in the situation that you now find yourself. I purposefully lived below my means knowing that I may have to take a pay cut so that I could move to doing the type of work I would truly prefer. I didn't want to be that old crusty 20 year vet who hates his job, but only stays because he would drown in debt if he left.
                Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                  One thing that I learned a long time ago is that sometimes in order to get one step ahead, you have to take two steps back. I will be losing over $25,000 a year during the first year, but I will no longer be wearing that uniform, and I will be working for an agency that treats me like an adult and doing a job that provides so much more opportunity and satisfaction. Within a few years I will be making more money than I ever could have earned in the Border Patrol and not sitting in my truck staring as the fence rusts.

GL-7 Step 10 with 25% LEAP is still around $71,000/yr RUS. I decided when I got this job never to put myself in the situation that you now find yourself. I purposefully lived below my means knowing that I may have to take a pay cut so that I could move to doing the type of work I would truly prefer. I didn't want to be that old crusty 20 year vet who hates his job, but only stays because he would drown in debt if he left.
                  I live within my means as well, thanks... I also have a wife and three kids with an established routine, not to mention a mortgage that I can't just drop like the rent on the double wide down in Eagle Pass. An approximate $35k+ drop in salary would be a pretty irresponsible choice. From talking with 1811s that I've worked with over the last few years, LEAP is a true pain. I can work half as much OT and make as much as they do on LEAP.

I must be one of the few, but my last ten years has been great. My first duty station was fantastic; I spent five years in Europe on Uncle Sam's dime; and now I've got my GS-13 in a great (albeit expensive) location. I just need to bide my time to go back overseas... I've never understood the people crying and moaning within CBP/BP - did you (hypothetical you) really think going to backwoods Texas or Arizona was going to be fun? When have you been treated like a child?

You can't just paint everyone's situation with a broad brush... Like I mentioned earlier, I guess my NCIS application was more of an experiment to see if I'd get a call/email. It's not worth the potential shenanigans, especially when I've got it pretty good in my current situation.

Comment

I live within my means as well, thanks... I also have a wife and three kids with an established routine, not to mention a mortgage that I can't just drop like the rent on the double wide down in Eagle Pass. An approximate $35k+ drop in salary would be a pretty irresponsible choice. From talking with 1811s that I've worked with over the last few years, LEAP is a true pain. I can work half as much OT and make as much as they do on LEAP.

I must be one of the few, but my last ten years has been great. My first duty station was fantastic; I spent five years in Europe on Uncle Sam's dime; and now I've got my GS-13 in a great (albeit expensive) location. I just need to bide my time to go back overseas... I've never understood the people crying and moaning within CBP/BP - did you (hypothetical you) really think going to backwoods Texas or Arizona was going to be fun? When have you been treated like a child?

You can't just paint everyone's situation with a broad brush... Like I mentioned earlier, I guess my NCIS application was more of an experiment to see if I'd get a call/email. It's not worth the potential shenanigans, especially when I've got it pretty good in my current situation.
                    If your happy, great stay where you're at. I believe the point he was trying to make was that many people take jobs for more than the paycheck they want to be happy in their work which is why a downgrade makes sense to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firefox View Post
                      If your happy, great stay where you're at. I believe the point he was trying to make was that many people take jobs for more than the paycheck they want to be happy in their work which is why a downgrade makes sense to them.
                      Fair enough.

Comment

• Helmet man,
                        I'm not sure what you do? But yes BP/CBP treats you lIke a child at times. There are vast opportunities in this agency but at the end of the day no one cares about you or the mission. It's spreads like the plague, rapid and evrywhere.

It gets tiring. I'm truly blessed to have my job, but I constantly want to set my sights higher. I don't there is a problem with that?

I'd hope and from what it seams NCIS would be a great opportunity, with its challenges I'm sure.
                        it will be a pay cut but in time I'll get it all back and then some. Just my 4 cents Lol

Comment

• It would be great to get feedback from someone at NCIS as to the value of a job change and possible decrease in pay. A coworker from HSI came from NCIS about 4 years ago. he stated most good cases get referred out to other agencies from NCIS and that they handle mostly Court Martial type of offenses. He also stated that many NCIS agents could work a 20 year career without ever slapping the cuffs on someone. Seems a little boring, so what are the perks if you like a little excitement? I would appreciate some input.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirtymac View Post
                            It would be great to get feedback from someone at NCIS as to the value of a job change and possible decrease in pay. A coworker from HSI came from NCIS about 4 years ago. he stated most good cases get referred out to other agencies from NCIS and that they handle mostly Court Martial type of offenses. He also stated that many NCIS agents could work a 20 year career without ever slapping the cuffs on someone. Seems a little boring, so what are the perks if you like a little excitement? I would appreciate some input.
                            I second this. I would love to hear from a current agent about how the gig is. I know each agency has it's ups and downs. I was able to gather info about other agencies from talking to agents, but I've never spoken to an NCIS agent other than my interviewers/poly examiner..

Comment

• Morale varies from office to office, billet to billet, and agent to agent. The mobility policy has improved the last couple of cycles, which was one of the bigger complaints people had.

NCIS is a Military Criminal Investigative Organization, so our cases often go to courts martial. A general court martial is the military equivalent of a felony-level court. If you don't know anything about the UCMJ or the military justice system, you probably should do a little research if you are interested in working for an MCIO. That being said, we also take cases to state and federal district court.

New agents typically work general crimes. If you get hired, expect to work sexual assaults, child abuse, deaths, drugs, theft, pay and allowance fraud, domestic violence, burglary, etc.

If you don't want to move, work with the military, or work general crimes, then please don't apply to NCIS. It takes a lot of resources to hire a new agent, and it seems like the only research some applicants do is watch NCIS: LA. Also, being an 1811 does not make you special. Don't apply just because you want a job series.

If you like working with the military, like living in new places, and want to work a very broad variety of crimes, then NCIS is not a bad place to be. NCIS agents investigate violations of state code, US Code, and the UCMJ. You can work in general crimes, counterintelligence, cyber, fraud, polygraph, tech, forensics, JTTF, FPD, and probably a few other billets I can't remember. There's a good variety of work, and I think it's a good experience.

Comment

It sounds like CBP has been a great career for you. For those of us who don't have things so great, or who desire to do a different type of work, a temporary cut in pay is something we can handle. I too have a family and mortgage, and live in a decent place (for the SWB).
                                Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5375 users online. 327 members and 5048 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X