Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF?! Should we apply to every frickin announcement? If referred from March and they is another announcement up are we to assume that referral is done, squashed, and going no where, so we should reapply again?!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking14 View Post
      WTF?! Should we apply to every frickin announcement? If referred from March and they is another announcement up are we to assume that referral is done, squashed, and going no where, so we should reapply again?!!
      Relax. It's just a numbers game, NCIS most likely believes they do not have enough quality applicants in the pipeline so they are reloading. With that being said if you were referred and or received a COE, you are in the process until told your not. Agencies have done hiring practices like this for years. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

• From my NCIS agent contacts the director has made hiring a priority as NCIS responsibilities worldwide increase. They are looking to hire 150+ special agents this year and next. Due to their hiring by class, expect a quick turnaround on everything and respond to every email they send you. I have been told morale is high and the new director is awesome guy. Basically, now is a great time to join NCIS.

TDF

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking14 View Post
          WTF?! Should we apply to every frickin announcement? If referred from March and they is another announcement up are we to assume that referral is done, squashed, and going no where, so we should reapply again?!!
          I'm not an expert in federal hiring, but I would submit an app under the new vacancy. What's the worst that can happen? If they want to hire you under the March vacancy, they aren't going to be dissuaded by the fact that you want the job so badly you applied to the April vacancy. If they don't want to hire you under the March vacancy, it may not be because you aren't good enough. So, reapply and see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
            I'm not an expert in federal hiring, but I would submit an app under the new vacancy. What's the worst that can happen? If they want to hire you under the March vacancy, they aren't going to be dissuaded by the fact that you want the job so badly you applied to the April vacancy. If they don't want to hire you under the March vacancy, it may not be because you aren't good enough. So, reapply and see what happens.
            Sounds good to me.

Comment

While I agree that would be a ridiculous jump down, I also think that you are silly for applying. It stated clearly in the announcement that the max pay would be GL-7(10). You knew, or should have known, going into the app that the most you would get would be 7 step 10. If that wasn't kosher, you should not have applied.
              After talking with former colleagues at a few different agencies (that transferred through announcements such as this) I was told to push for pay matching... ie GL-7 Step 00. I'm fine with losing the grade, but a $35k+ pay cut is crazy. Unfortunately NCIS doesn't seem to care about bringing in prior-service Feds.

It was worth a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by helmet91 View Post
                After talking with former colleagues at a few different agencies (that transferred through announcements such as this) I was told to push for pay matching... ie GL-7 Step 00. I'm fine with losing the grade, but a $35k+ pay cut is crazy. Unfortunately NCIS doesn't seem to care about bringing in prior-service Feds.

It was worth a shot.
                I'm pretty sure step 00 does not exist anymore. I think the FED did away with it a few years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firefox View Post
                  I'm pretty sure step 00 does not exist anymore. I think the FED did away with it a few years back.
                  Oh well. I had heard it was worth looking into. More power to those of you that are current Feds and can take the cut. It's a bummer that by the time I have good experience (job and education) I pretty much priced myself out of a so-called entry level job.

I'll stick with my current agency and bide my time to go back overseas again.

Again, good luck everyone!

Comment

It was worth a shot.
                    I'd agree with you if you were already an 1811. That's the only way they can do grade and/or pay retention (step 00). Otherwise you get Step 10.

I can say there are many folks that have taken a pay cut from GS-13 (and even GS-14) down to GL-7/GL-9. Financially, it does mean a pretty big pay cut, but for most it means better long-term earning potential (with GS-13 journeyman + LEAP) and much better retirement than non-6c.

My disappointment with the current announcements is that they are GL-7 only rather than GL 7/9.
                    View snapshot of public entry-level 1811 positions here:
                    http://GS-1811.appspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by divinefalcon View Post
                      I'd agree with you if you were already an 1811. That's the only way they can do grade and/or pay retention (step 00). Otherwise you get Step 10.

I can say there are many folks that have taken a pay cut from GS-13 (and even GS-14) down to GL-7/GL-9. Financially, it does mean a pretty big pay cut, but for most it means better long-term earning potential (with GS-13 journeyman + LEAP) and much better retirement than non-6c.

My disappointment with the current announcements is that they are GL-7 only rather than GL 7/9.
                      Totally agree. If offered the job, I'll already be taking a six-figure pay cut over GL-9 pay (which I'm qualified for). But, it really is only one year. And, once you get to 13, the step differences aren't that great to make a huge difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by divinefalcon View Post

The GL9 would have been easier to stomach... I'm not an 1811, but I have 12D (6C is CSRS) coverage - so my retirement is the same setup (in theory). LEAP would actually be a downgrade for me.

I guess I was wasting the HR person's time - looking back this was more of an experiment to see if I'd even get a call/email to begin with.

Comment

The GL9 would have been easier to stomach... I'm not an 1811, but I have 12D (6C is CSRS) coverage - so my retirement is the same setup (in theory). LEAP would actually be a downgrade for me.

I guess I was wasting the HR person's time - looking back this was more of an experiment to see if I'd even get a call/email to begin with.
                          Just curious, but how would LEAP have been a downgrade? My understanding is that AUO is capped at 25%, so, at worst, LEAP would be the same as whatever AUO you are receiving, and at best, LEAP would be more.

Comment

Just curious, but how would LEAP have been a downgrade? My understanding is that AUO is capped at 25%, so, at worst, LEAP would be the same as whatever AUO you are receiving, and at best, LEAP would be more.
                            You make more money with AUO because you get FLSA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtothawhat View Post
                              You make more money with AUO because you get FLSA.
                              Got it. Thanks.

Comment

• On their website (under the FAQ's) it says college students can apply up to 6 months out from graduation. However, during the occupational questionnaire, the options are only present tense (i.e., "I have successfully obtained a bachelor's with superior academic achievement").

Does that mean I can't apply and that their website is inaccurate, or should I be applying as if I have completed my degree already despite the fact that I'm about a month out? The later seems misleading (obviously I don't want that), but there seems to be some contradictions between the questionnaire and the NCIS site.

Thanks for any information.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7923 users online. 245 members and 7678 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X