Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the clarification. I think the agents explained that but I didn't relay that well in my post. When I asked about the timeline for the hiring process, they were careful not to give a specific date because so many factors could come up but noted they liked to get people on board this fiscal year. Do you have any insight on dates or still dependant on to many factors?

Comment

• Originally posted by divinefalcon View Post
      Advice for the next and future vacancy announcements: Follow the instructions, tailor your resume to the specified qualifications, and ensure to include ALL required documents.

And regarding first field office and mobility. If offered a position, be prepared to relocate to any office in CONUS. It's on your own dime, but then all moves after that are paid. I think the NCIS website has a list of all of the locations.
      Good tips! I would add that people also need to pay very close attention to all the questions. Attention to detail is critical and the lack of it is not accepted as an excuse. Preparation is key. Our announcements are not usually open for that long, but we expect that if an applicant is serious, they will have fully researched our agency and prepared in advance. This is your first opportunity to make an impression. We realize that everyone wants to put their best foot forward and make their resume read as strongly as possible. However, when writing your resume, be mindful that you are writing to an audience that is well informed on law enforcement careers, military careers and the intelligence community. When filling out the Background Security Questionnaire, make sure you answer honestly and provide complete answers. Do not put yourself in the position of later on down the line having to add, amend, amplify, revise, restate, correct or retract previous statements regarding drug history, financial history, criminal history or job history. That simply does not bode well for the applicant We appreciate that part of life is making mistakes and learning from them, and we also realize that sometimes, "life happens". A surprising number of issues can be favorably adjudicated, but we need to hear things from the applicant at the outset (rather than as a result of a database check, polygraph examination or background suitability investigation). What we do not accept is that someone will attempt to mislead us by minimizing or mischaracterizing the circumstances, or omitting something completely in an effort to "get to the interview". When we discover a lack of candor, it becomes all but certain that we will stop processing that applicant, for we have too many other applicants who are able to be forthright and provide comprehensive answers. Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronin86 View Post
        Good tips! I would add that people also need to pay very close attention to all the questions. Attention to detail is critical and the lack of it is not accepted as an excuse. Preparation is key. Our announcements are not usually open for that long, but we expect that if an applicant is serious, they will have fully researched our agency and prepared in advance. This is your first opportunity to make an impression. We realize that everyone wants to put their best foot forward and make their resume read as strongly as possible. However, when writing your resume, be mindful that you are writing to an audience that is well informed on law enforcement careers, military careers and the intelligence community. When filling out the Background Security Questionnaire, make sure you answer honestly and provide complete answers. Do not put yourself in the position of later on down the line having to add, amend, amplify, revise, restate, correct or retract previous statements regarding drug history, financial history, criminal history or job history. That simply does not bode well for the applicant We appreciate that part of life is making mistakes and learning from them, and we also realize that sometimes, "life happens". A surprising number of issues can be favorably adjudicated, but we need to hear things from the applicant at the outset (rather than as a result of a database check, polygraph examination or background suitability investigation). What we do not accept is that someone will attempt to mislead us by minimizing or mischaracterizing the circumstances, or omitting something completely in an effort to "get to the interview". When we discover a lack of candor, it becomes all but certain that we will stop processing that applicant, for we have too many other applicants who are able to be forthright and provide comprehensive answers. Good luck!
        Quick but strange question…
        I applied to a 2014 opening, got referred, got a COE, release for BI etc. Then heard nothing for 5 months. Called HR to see what the deal was and was basically told that I was lost in the shuffle.
        Got an email for SPI and SF86 drop off, two days later, drive 9 hours and thought it went really well, (the Agents in the Dallas office are great people).
        Then literally the next day get a BQA email. Perplexed, I moved on, 3 months later my status says "hired" when clearly I wasn't.
        I applied for the next vacancy (FEB15) got referred, heard nothing, then got a BQA a month later.

Im prior MIL (Navy), prior LEO, BA in Middle East Studies, minor in Arabic, and have technical degree in Forensic Processing/Crime Scene Management.

What am I missing to get in, and stay in the process?
        NCIS is the exact gig I want to do… Ive been so bummed how things have turned out the last two times.
        I always get referred but, something strange keeps booting me out the running…
        Please advise.
        War of attrition

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
          Thanks for the clarification. I think the agents explained that but I didn't relay that well in my post. When I asked about the timeline for the hiring process, they were careful not to give a specific date because so many factors could come up but noted they liked to get people on board this fiscal year. Do you have any insight on dates or still dependant on to many factors?
          I think the agents gave you about as much as they could. I have the same understanding as to the difficulty of making projections due to multiple variables. It would be unfair to speculate since things could easily change. My understanding is NCIS has committed resources to attempt to shorten the timeline in general, and from what I understand, that has been done. However, there is no fixed timeline, so, each applicant is going to still have an individual experience. I know that's not a concrete answer, but hopefully it sheds some more light.

Comment

• Thanks, I understand. Appreciate your insight.

Comment

• I recieved an email stating they were attempting to get me in a June class if funding is available. I hope so!

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Quick but strange question…
                I applied to a 2014 opening, got referred, got a COE, release for BI etc. Then heard nothing for 5 months. Called HR to see what the deal was and was basically told that I was lost in the shuffle.
                Got an email for SPI and SF86 drop off, two days later, drive 9 hours and thought it went really well, (the Agents in the Dallas office are great people).
                Then literally the next day get a BQA email. Perplexed, I moved on, 3 months later my status says "hired" when clearly I wasn't.
                I applied for the next vacancy (FEB15) got referred, heard nothing, then got a BQA a month later.

Im prior MIL (Navy), prior LEO, BA in Middle East Studies, minor in Arabic, and have technical degree in Forensic Processing/Crime Scene Management.

What am I missing to get in, and stay in the process?
                NCIS is the exact gig I want to do… Ive been so bummed how things have turned out the last two times.
                I always get referred but, something strange keeps booting me out the running…
                Please advise.
                First, I am glad to hear that our SAs in Dallas treated you well. I wish I could give you an answer, but unfortunately, I am not in a position to speak to specific situations or provide individual guidance. After following this forum for awhile, I found that most people conveyed positive attitudes and were trying to help each other. I also saw what I considered to be a lot of "informed speculation". It seemed to me that I could help by passing along information that I have picked up and/or provide clarification to "informed speculation" when I think it would be helpful.

As for your question, the only thing I can think to offer is some background. NCIS used USAJobs for the first time in Feb14. Unlike 99% of other jobs, NCIS selects the hiring location after deciding who it is going to hire. USAJobs is not designed for this. It assumes that the location of the job is determined. Also, it assumes that most jobs also don't hire in groups of 24 (which is our typical FLETC CITP class size). Since the system is not normally used to hire for multiple positions in multiple locations, the first iteration generated 16 Cert Lists (8 at the GL-07 and 8 at the GL-09). As you can well imagine, there were multiple permutations. Some people applied to one grade level and one location. Some applied to all locations and both grade levels, and then there was every conceivable combination in between. Eventually, someone at NCIS had to manually update every applicant on all 16 lists. That was a lot of key strokes and took a lot of time. NCIS spent weeks digging out of that. Ordinarily, hiring managers use the USAJobs system to communication with applicants, and the manager will make 2-3 provisional selections and return the Cert List. Once again, this works for 99% of jobs, which don't have the pre-employment vetting requirements associated with an 1811 position. To keep things moving along, NCIS used a hybrid approach. It kept the Cert Lists open for months longer than usual and began communicating individually with applicants as they were selected for processing. In the course of this, in some cases, an applicant was initially marked as being "selected" in the USAJobs system even though they ultimately fell out due to one of any number of reasons. In other cases, an applicant was marked selected for some geographic areas but not others. This is what probably resulted in what appeared to be "mixed signals". Everyone knew this was far less than optimal and understood the confusion it caused among the applicants.

For the most recent vacancy announcement (Dec14), NCIS advertised only at the GL-07 level and was finally able to arrange it so that it only got one Cert List. NCIS is trying to get to the point where it returns the Cert List in a more timely fashion. At this point, if you receive electronic notification of non-selection, then you can consider that to be reliable. If you receive notification from the HR Operations Center that you've been referred to the hiring manager (via USAJobs), then you're on the Cert List that's been sent to NCIS.

It is important to note that the Cert List includes a lot of people. NCIS reviews the resumes, cover letters (if provided), and Background Security Questionnaires to rack and stack applicants. One of the hardest things to convey is that there is a difference between being "eligible" and "competitive". A lot of people meet the basic criteria, but the degree to which people are competitive varies widely.

If you've been notified that you've been referred, that generally means you're still being considered for processing. With that said, many will be subsequently notified (generally via letter) that while they met minimum qualifications, there were other applicant who were more competitive. Currently, when NCIS selects an applicant off of the Cert List for further processing, we will communicate initially via e-mail. Our follow-up communications will be via both e-mail, snail mail and phone calls.

If an applicant hasn't heard anything from us after about two months, it could mean that the e-mail in your spam folder. I've heard of that happening, so make sure you check your spam folder. I've even heard of instances where applicants mistyped their own e-mail address (rare, but it happens). In any case, if you haven't heard from NCIS after giving a couple of months to do the initial processing, it would be reasonable to send a follow-up query. I know that is a painfully long time, but given the number of applicants you need to give us that much time. I hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronin86 View Post
                  First, I am glad to hear that our SAs in Dallas treated you well. I wish I could give you an answer, but unfortunately, I am not in a position to speak to specific situations or provide individual guidance. After following this forum for awhile, I found that most people conveyed positive attitudes and were trying to help each other. I also saw what I considered to be a lot of "informed speculation". It seemed to me that I could help by passing along information that I have picked up and/or provide clarification to "informed speculation" when I think it would be helpful.

As for your question, the only thing I can think to offer is some background. NCIS used USAJobs for the first time in Feb14. Unlike 99% of other jobs, NCIS selects the hiring location after deciding who it is going to hire. USAJobs is not designed for this. It assumes that the location of the job is determined. Also, it assumes that most jobs also don't hire in groups of 24 (which is our typical FLETC CITP class size). Since the system is not normally used to hire for multiple positions in multiple locations, the first iteration generated 16 Cert Lists (8 at the GL-07 and 8 at the GL-09). As you can well imagine, there were multiple permutations. Some people applied to one grade level and one location. Some applied to all locations and both grade levels, and then there was every conceivable combination in between. Eventually, someone at NCIS had to manually update every applicant on all 16 lists. That was a lot of key strokes and took a lot of time. NCIS spent weeks digging out of that. Ordinarily, hiring managers use the USAJobs system to communication with applicants, and the manager will make 2-3 provisional selections and return the Cert List. Once again, this works for 99% of jobs, which don't have the pre-employment vetting requirements associated with an 1811 position. To keep things moving along, NCIS used a hybrid approach. It kept the Cert Lists open for months longer than usual and began communicating individually with applicants as they were selected for processing. In the course of this, in some cases, an applicant was initially marked as being "selected" in the USAJobs system even though they ultimately fell out due to one of any number of reasons. In other cases, an applicant was marked selected for some geographic areas but not others. This is what probably resulted in what appeared to be "mixed signals". Everyone knew this was far less than optimal and understood the confusion it caused among the applicants.

For the most recent vacancy announcement (Dec14), NCIS advertised only at the GL-07 level and was finally able to arrange it so that it only got one Cert List. NCIS is trying to get to the point where it returns the Cert List in a more timely fashion. At this point, if you receive electronic notification of non-selection, then you can consider that to be reliable. If you receive notification from the HR Operations Center that you've been referred to the hiring manager (via USAJobs), then you're on the Cert List that's been sent to NCIS.

It is important to note that the Cert List includes a lot of people. NCIS reviews the resumes, cover letters (if provided), and Background Security Questionnaires to rack and stack applicants. One of the hardest things to convey is that there is a difference between being "eligible" and "competitive". A lot of people meet the basic criteria, but the degree to which people are competitive varies widely.

If you've been notified that you've been referred, that generally means you're still being considered for processing. With that said, many will be subsequently notified (generally via letter) that while they met minimum qualifications, there were other applicant who were more competitive. Currently, when NCIS selects an applicant off of the Cert List for further processing, we will communicate initially via e-mail. Our follow-up communications will be via both e-mail, snail mail and phone calls.

If an applicant hasn't heard anything from us after about two months, it could mean that the e-mail in your spam folder. I've heard of that happening, so make sure you check your spam folder. I've even heard of instances where applicants mistyped their own e-mail address (rare, but it happens). In any case, if you haven't heard from NCIS after giving a couple of months to do the initial processing, it would be reasonable to send a follow-up query. I know that is a painfully long time, but given the number of applicants you need to give us that much time. I hope this helps.
                  Hey Ronin, good gouge.

Maybe you can help clear this one up for me. I received 3 or 4 non-referral emails over a few months, so I emailed the DoNEIC email asking how this is the case. The response was "Typically this is caused by a recruitment having more than one referral cert issued, for the convenience of the selecting official. Because applicants may only be added to one referral cert, a negative notification may be generated for each additional referral cert generated. Our records show that your name is on the referral cert."

But I have never received anything else. Have you heard of this? I am just not making is passed referral? No clue.

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, is the NCIS poly full scope/lifestyle or CI scope?

Comment

• Originally posted by copperstate View Post
                      Just out of curiosity, is the NCIS poly full scope/lifestyle or CI scope?
                      Full scope with a CI.

Comment

• Wow Ronin, finally some clear info put out there, THANKS!!
                        I will keep applying to further vacancies as NCIS 1811 is what I wanted to ultimately do since I was swash buckling E-1 in the Navy!
                        I have a chance to go be civilian police officer for the Marine Corps until then. I will likely take that gig to help bolster my credentials, work on my MBA, and get in the "Fed Bubble".
                        War of attrition

Comment

• Another vacancy app in the books, lets hope this one goes all the way this time!!
                          War of attrition

Comment

• So I took a look at the new announcement and guess what? In this announcement they authorize relocation expenses. In the December announcement that we applied to they did not.

Oh well.
                            TDF

Comment

• Just applied to this one so lets see how this goes. I also applied for the Secret service in February and the FBI in March.

Comment

• Originally posted by copperstate View Post
                                Just out of curiosity, is the NCIS poly full scope/lifestyle or CI scope?
                                For clarification, NCIS uses an expanded scope screening (ESS) pre-employment polygraph examination, which consists of two parts. The first part is the Test for Espionage and Sabotage (TES), which is also referred to as the counterintelligence scope polygraph (CSP). The second part consists of the three Expanded Scope Screening questions, which relate to truthfulness of the application (and associated documents), compliance with drug use policy and criminal history. The polygraph examination is not lifestyle in that we do not ask about other personal information. I hope this helps.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12048 users online. 432 members and 11616 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X