Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about we keep this thread on track and not lock it up?

Comment

• Let's all just focus on getting a job guys. I'm sure everyone here works hard in their respective jobs. The best part of this forum is the advice/guidance we can get from our fellow applicants as well as people already in the position so let's just try to stay focused and not argue. I know everyone is frustrated but let's keep our eyes on the prize. I've experienced the same lack of organization in this process and I honestly don't know what to chalk it up to. I am just riding the wave and am going to see what happens. A couple years from now we will all just look back on all of this and laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by LBJfan4life View Post
        Then why again are they trying to hire thousands of applicants.
        CBP/OFO (nicknamed customs) was given authorization to hire I believe 5000 new officers. When I say new, that means that they are not just replacing others who left. The positions themselves are new. This was meant to help facilitate international trade, and decrease wait times at POEs.

As for Border Patrol (CBP/OBP) the agency has recently lost a lot of agents to..........CBP/OFO.

You do not come in making a 12. As someone who currently works anywhere from 48 to 64 hours of OT now at my current job I can attest that OT money is not the same as base money. Uncle Sam eats that for dinner. Besides who wants to work a few thousand hours of OT a year to make a good living. I have a buddy who works for them and he told me DO NOT APPLY THERE. They literally get shot at every night.
        You also do not enter as a GS-12 in NCIS. In fact the announcement has Agents at GL-7. I do agree with you though that overtime money is not the same as base money, and those agents/officers who treated it as such were smacked upside the head with reality as of late.

In terms of being shot at every night, I highly doubt it.

The reason we all apply to NCIS or any other 1811 position is because we have skills (degrees, expertise, training, experiences) that we want to use in field of law enforcement to try and make a difference. Oppose to just being a body on the border in a problem that will never disappear. So once again do they really make that much money? It does sound like they have phenomenal recruiters though if they are explaining the job this way lol.
        Believe me, it doesn't mean anything to me if someone doesn't want to join the patrol, I am not going to bend over backwards to convince them. However, you presented it as you having all these skills and desperately wanting to do something and get into the federal system. I was just offering an option.
        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
          CBP/OFO (nicknamed customs) was given authorization to hire I believe 5000 new officers. When I say new, that means that they are not just replacing others who left. The positions themselves are new. This was meant to help facilitate international trade, and decrease wait times at POEs.

As for Border Patrol (CBP/OBP) the agency has recently lost a lot of agents to..........CBP/OFO.

You also do not enter as a GS-12 in NCIS. In fact the announcement has Agents at GL-7. I do agree with you though that overtime money is not the same as base money, and those agents/officers who treated it as such were smacked upside the head with reality as of late.

In terms of being shot at every night, I highly doubt it.

Believe me, it doesn't mean anything to me if someone doesn't want to join the patrol, I am not going to bend over backwards to convince them. However, you presented it as you having all these skills and desperately wanting to do something and get into the federal system. I was just offering an option.
          All I go by is what i have been told by current coworkers who use to work there as well as my frat brother who works there now on top of their high turnover rate. I would imagine every person experience is different. Like I said before I am already in a 0083 position so it's not that i am trying to get in. I understand that you don't come in at a 12. The only 1811s I know that come in as 12s is U.S. Attorneys office, but I also have a good idea as to what CBP entails.

Comment

• I say we turn this into a navy joke thread.

What's hard and long and full of seamen?

Why a submarine of course!!

Seriously though let's keep this thread focused on hiring issues guys.

Comment

• Here's the problem with the CBP Officer position and to a lesser extent the BP Agent position. Yes, it's relatively easy to get hired on, because they hire hundreds to upwards of several thousand every year but being a CBPO doesn't give you the skills to be competitive for an 1811 gig.

CBPOs do not investigate anything. If you find drugs, you will detain the person and call HSI. You very rarely testify in court and almost never work with an AUSA on a case. You also don't gain experience developing probable cause (everything at the port of entry falls under the border search exemption). You don't really arrest anyone either. CBP is all about "facilitating" travelers.

I'm a current CBPO and veteran and I was going to apply to this special agent announcement but when I looked over the assessment questionnaire or whatever they call it, I said forget it. There were many questions about investigations and I literally wouldn't be able to rate myself highly on any of those which means my application would go into the trash.

If I had to do it all over again and I am thinking about starting from square one, I would have joined either a city PD or a state investigations agency. That is where you gain true LE skills.

Just my .02 cents....

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                Here's the problem with the CBP Officer position and to a lesser extent the BP Agent position. Yes, it's relatively easy to get hired on, because they hire hundreds to upwards of several thousand every year but being a CBPO doesn't give you the skills to be competitive for an 1811 gig.

CBPOs do not investigate anything. If you find drugs, you will detain the person and call HSI. You very rarely testify in court and almost never work with an AUSA on a case. You also don't gain experience developing probable cause (everything at the port of entry falls under the border search exemption). You don't really arrest anyone either. CBP is all about "facilitating" travelers.

I'm a current CBPO and veteran and I was going to apply to this special agent announcement but when I looked over the assessment questionnaire or whatever they call it, I said forget it. There were many questions about investigations and I literally wouldn't be able to rate myself highly on any of those which means my application would go into the trash.

If I had to do it all over again and I am thinking about starting from square one, I would have joined either a city PD or a state investigations agency. That is where you gain true LE skills.

Just my .02 cents....
                I'd pretty much agree with you on what said except for the the reason you didn't apply for this. You got to be in it to win it brother. As far as you thinking you don't qualify that's not even close to the truth. The last class HSI put through the academy was all interns, you think college interns got more experience than you? No way man regardless of how you feel about the CBPO position I'm sure you have found drugs, put handcuffs on people, wrote detail reports etc...

One things for sure though I think you hit the nail on the head with the local PD thing looking back I may have done things a bit different.

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                  Here's the problem with the CBP Officer position and to a lesser extent the BP Agent position. Yes, it's relatively easy to get hired on, because they hire hundreds to upwards of several thousand every year but being a CBPO doesn't give you the skills to be competitive for an 1811 gig.

Just my .02 cents....
                  While I appreciate all the info that has been disseminated in the last few pages about CBP, that is not the purpose of this thread. If we could stay on topic, that would be great.

Hangman: while I'm not going to complain that there is one less person to compete with, I think it is foolish not to apply to a posting simply because you don't think you'll get hired. Many people have been hired as 1811's without any prior LE in any capacity. Let the hiring authority tell you that you aren't qualified.

Comment

• Hey guys I just applied to the new NCIS posting that just opened on USAJOBS. How long is it usually taking between each step?

Comment

• Originally posted by scott50 View Post
                      Hey guys I just applied to the new NCIS posting that just opened on USAJOBS. How long is it usually taking between each step?

For me it was an average of 1.5 to 2 months in between each step.

Comment

• Well for some reason my NCIS application says "application not submitted".. I know I submitted it, and did everything correctly. Anybody else??

Comment

• Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
                          I'd seriously look into it if I was you something doesn't sound right there. Give HR a call it can't hurt.
                          No it doesn't, but I have reached out to them so they would have an opportunity to fix or give plausible explanation. It sounds like others have had the same issue. Hope they can fix this before people start making congressional or OIG complaints. Its a shame because it is a good agency. Just so happens they have a horrible HR staff they can't control.

Comment

• Originally posted by zackwest24 View Post
                            Well for some reason my NCIS application says "application not submitted".. I know I submitted it, and did everything correctly. Anybody else??
                            You submitted and uploaded the security questionarre, too? I just received a notification that my app was received. My app was "incomplete" until I submitted the questionarre.

Comment

• My status shows received

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mine shows received after i uploaded the bsq from last time

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8426 users online. 241 members and 8185 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X