300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview board question

Your Sgt. has been having marital problems and comes to work drunk and agitated. He has put the key in to start his squad car against your advice.
    What do you do? ...ask for back-up, perhaps another officer who is close to him can reason with him?

What can you do while your waiting for back up?...be afraid he could turn his gun on you right? You can't let him leave and endanger other people on the road. He is also a felon at this moment.

This was out of left field to me.
    Man hath no greater love than this, then to lay down his life for his friend.
    "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf."- Kipling

Shoot him behind the ear.

DANG! I'm glad I didn't have to go through that junk!!!!! I don't know what the best answer is.

I guess I'd get another officer to talk to him. If it didn't work I'd contact brass.

Legally, you're not absolved of situations of gross negligence just because it's a superior officer if you fail to act.
    People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

I'm not a cop but I've been helping someone study using similar questions.

First off, if you knew he was intoxicated he shouldn't have been allowed near the car, something should've been done before he even got a chance to put the key in the ignition. Instead of advising him not to drive you could've been contacting someone for help at that point.

He needs to be relieved from duty, his gun confiscated and he should be sent home (not allowed to drive, he should be taken home). Counseling for his problems should be recommended after speaking with him and determining if this is a one time thing or an on going problem with substance abuse and any other appropriate disciplinary action should be taken.

The interesting part of THIS question is it's not a subordinate, it's your supervisor (Sgt). I would guess the answer would be to contact via radio or whatever you guys do, the Sgt's superior on the shift (captain?). It's probably that person's responsibility to handle the above actions. (you might try reaching in and removing the key from the ignition and tossing it in the bushes or something but then again from what some of these guys have said he might have 10 sets of back up keys).. LOL... oh you probably need to fill out a few reports too (but I wouldn't know about that).

If he did try to drive off he's committing a crime in your presense and you might need to arrest him or give him a sobriety test !! That should keep him busy until backup arrives, which shouldn't be long since I'm guessing you're still at the station.

Where is Sgt Dave when you need a good answer, he's good at these test questions !!!

I hope you scored well !!! Good Luck...
      Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

One of the Lt.s on the board kept adding what if's and scenarios. I think he was playing "bad cop" in the interview. LOL

The interviewer is assuming I've already failed at preventing him from getting in his car. The way I imagined the situation was me standing next to an armed, emotional, drunk cop. I joke that I didn't expect this to come up at "this" dept., and 3 of the 4 smiled. Not the hard ***** though.

I think this was a mental test. They were more concerned with my composure than my actual answers. You know I keep kicking myself wishing I had said this, or that. Or worse, not said something. It's over now. At least I made it to the interview. Only 30 are interviewd out of over 200 applications for 4 postions. Stiff huh?
        Man hath no greater love than this, then to lay down his life for his friend.
        "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf."- Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by peacefulwarrior:
          <STRONG>The interviewer is assuming I've already failed at preventing him from getting in his car. The way I imagined the situation was me standing next to an armed, emotional, drunk cop. I joke that I didn't expect this to come up at "this" dept., and 3 of the 4 smiled. Not the hard ***** though.</STRONG>
          Another Girl on this forum, Yeah !!! (Tomboy, I'm assuming female)... I like your joke. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !!
          Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

I think this was a mental test. They were more concerned with my composure than my actual answers. You know I keep kicking myself wishing I had said this, or that. Or worse, not said something. It's over now. At least I made it to the interview. Only 30 are interviewed out of over 200 applications for 4 positions. Stiff huh?
            peacefulwarrior:

You're right on the money there. I actually meant to include this little detail in my earlier post, but it got lost somewhere between the thought and clicking "add reply."

Think positive.

If you get in, I hope you have Tom Earnhardt for Firearms. He's "large" and loud with the class, but he keeps it rolling and makes it interesting. The ONLY people who don't like him are the boring ones and the ones that could never compete with him. If you get him ABSORB EVERY DETAIL YOU CAN FROM HIM. If he'll stay over and teach you extra stuff, take advantage!

You'll learn about "no be there!" and the survival mentality of community policing ("trading cards and playing ball with these kids is okay, but never lose sight or forget you may have to one day shoot them at contact distance in the forehead.") This of course may sound harsh to outsiders, but officers have mentioned being unable to use DF or hesitating against teenagers and or people in their beats after they "communed" with them, even when the situation called for it.

Good luck!
            People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

WOW! what a question! That would have driven me insane, hence the name. Anyway, I would have said:

"Unfortunately, in that particular situation if he was already at his vehicle I would pull my squad behind his so he would be unable to leave and I would contact another supervisor to help with the situation. Technically I could arrest this Officer, and I, by no means, think that he has special privlages. Having said that, I beleive that this would be quite scandelous and detrimental to the department if I screwed up and didn't report it. Trust me, I enjoy making decisions, but in this case I think it would be best handled by another supervisor in light of the fact that my immediate supervisor obviously needs help with issues other than the crime he may have just committed. "

Gawd.... did that make sense? lol

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: InSane1 ]

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: InSane1 ]
              Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9255 users online. 400 members and 8855 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X