300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this be a problem for me?

Hi all and thanks in advance for reading this. I have applied for several departments in Washington and Oregon, so far I've only tested with one. Basically I am at the beginning of the process. I have a clean history except for one blemish on my record. I was arrested twice in a two week period back in 2001 soon after my divorce. My ex had gotten an injunction for protection served on me in Florida during a custody battle. She asked me to meet her at a park to give me the child for my weekend as stipulated in the visitation agreement, when I arrived at the park two sheriff deputies showed up instead and served me with the injunction. I left and headed for home, just 3 minutes down the road my cell rang and my ex was calling, asking me if I was still waiting. I told her I had been served..thanks alot and hung up. Within seconds one of the deputies pulled me over and asked me if I had just been on the phone with my ex, I said yes explaining what happened and he says no contact means no contact. I was arrested and booked, bailed out the next day. Almost two weeks later I was in the state attorneys office in that county to get some advice, I signed in with the receptionist and took a seat. They are located on the 2nd floor of the county court building...pretty good sized facility. I was waiting about 5 minutes when a deputy came into the waiting room and asked me for my ID, he arrested me. Turns out my ex was also in the building and I wasn't supposed to be in the same building as her.

Guess I can't make a long story short. I got a public defender and she tells me if I plead nolo contendre they will dispose of my case as adjudication withheld, which I am told is not a conviction or a determination of guilt. I really wanted to fight it but the slim chance that I could be found guilty scared the crap out of me. So I took the offer and went on with my life, the injunction itself was dismissed for good at a hearing 2 weeks later and I went on with my life, even ended up with custody after the ex did some really stupid things.

So here I am 7 years later having to answer yes to have you ever been arrested on all my applications and answering no to have you ever been convicted. I've spoken to several Florida LE depts. about my old arrests and the disposition of adjudication withheld, they all told me that it would not be a problem at all in applying to them. The actual charge btw was contempt of court..misdemeanor. My fear is that out here they have no such disposition and I'm afraid they won't understand it, or just the fact that I plead no contest even tho there was no conviction. I rationalize that A. I was never convicted and B. Even if I had been convicted it is just a misdemeanor contempt charge. Only thing that scares me is it was involving a domestic dispute.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, sorry for the length of this post.

based on my own situation my answer is NO YOU'LL BE FINE...it was a long time ago so there is enough time that has gone by so you should be fine, just explain your story just the way you did when/if you make it around to backgrounds

Comment

Okay, your situation is probably more typical than you might imagine. There's some bad news and some good news for you. I'll deal with the bad news first. In any application you make, to any LE agency, the arrests and circumstances will have to be disclosed in their entirety.They may raise an eyebrow or two, and you can expect some questioning concerning them. The good news is, provided the facts and circumstances are as you described them, you'll probably be OK. Keep in mind that each agency you apply to will evaluate your situation in light of it's own standards. My sense is though, that you have a shot. Good luck.

Comment

As long as you get arrest reports and dispositions on everything involved in the matter and disclose EVERYTHING up front without holding back one tiny bit, you will probably be ok with most depts but some may have a problem so never put all your hopes and dreams into one dept. Good luck to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13769 users online. 469 members and 13300 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X