Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bureau of prisions

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bureau of prisions

    Does anyone work for the federal bureau of prisons? I would love any feed back.

  • #2
    Originally posted by mark025 View Post
    Does anyone work for the federal bureau of prisons? I would love any feed back.
    Three words:

    Don't do it.

    Comment


    • #3
      They seated current Federal employees away from non-Fed where I took my CBP test, so during breaks we all asked about each others agencies. The only people that sincerely hated their jobs were... TSA and BOP.

      IIRC, the two BOP guys said the worst part of the job was A. Uniforms and B. The feeling that prisoners had more rights and protection than the COs.

      They said it was very scary, both had gotten the snot beat out of them by inmates, and started looking for new jobs when a CO was murdered. When I first saw these guys, I thought they were Aryan brothers material. They were huge, skin headed, but very very nice.

      And did I mention the uniforms? Let me mention the uniforms:

      http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55637 Post #10. Even TSA has a better uniform than that sad thing.

      These guys were also in California, if you were wondering.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah the BOP uniforms are horrible bus driver look no authority a bunch of shrinks and panzys run the BOP and they dont want to intimidate their just misunderstood thug criminal population. Unsafe is a understatment its getting worse and worse they will not allow us to carry less than lethal weapons for officer saftey so if you get attacked you only have your radio or possibbly a trash can to defend yourself. The inmates have the weapons we dont stand a chance. The morale of the line staff at most institutions is very bad considering our work enviroment and not having enough officers ,at a FCI one Officer may have 300 plus inmates in 2 units to supervise by his or herself. At a Penn 1 Officer will be alone with 130 maximum security inmates and no personal protection. Now let me say this alot of other Officers in other agencies tend to bash us but let me tell you we work in that hellish enviroment with nothing but each other. THE FBI , Marshals , DEA City and State Police they have the tools to do their jobs we have to run to calls unarmed its not fair. So God bless my fellow Officers for doing a thankless job that nobdy else will do.

        Comment


        • #5
          God Bless you Fed Co, and all other COs. I am only a Detention Officer in my local jail, but I can understand your post, entirely. Extreme overcrowding, unsafe conditions, unsupportive management, and "inmate rights". It definetly takes a special person to work in corrections.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just wanted to reply to some of the BOP bashing. Is there problems with the BOP, yes there is. Anyone who works for a federal agency will know there is problems in their agency. With the BOP the main problem is some Wardens give inmates more rights and freedom then they should get. Other Wardens are great to work for because they have your back and don't give into the inmates. What's not talked about on here is with the BOP, if your motivated and want to work your way up then the BOP is a great place to work. The promotions can come fast and there is opportunities to do just about anything you. If you want to do HNT, SWAT, investigations, work in terrorism, if doesn't matter because the BOP has what your looking for. I didn't post this to sound like a BOP recruiter, it was more to give people a chance to see what's good about the prison system.

            Comment


            • #7
              I worked for the KGB for several years at a MCC and I can say without a doubt it is the most hug a thug job I've ever had. But if you can get into a joint in a area you like and homestead there forever, its not the worst job on the planet. But the best thing you can say happened at work in the bop is, nothing happened today. The worst thing that can happen is having a convict kill you via a broomstick where the sun don't shine. I'm glad I got out. To all of my brothers still behind the wall, go home safe, 8 and the gate...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by steiber View Post
                I just wanted to reply to some of the BOP bashing. Is there problems with the BOP, yes there is. Anyone who works for a federal agency will know there is problems in their agency. With the BOP the main problem is some Wardens give inmates more rights and freedom then they should get. Other Wardens are great to work for because they have your back and don't give into the inmates. What's not talked about on here is with the BOP, if your motivated and want to work your way up then the BOP is a great place to work. The promotions can come fast and there is opportunities to do just about anything you. If you want to do HNT, SWAT, investigations, work in terrorism, if doesn't matter because the BOP has what your looking for. I didn't post this to sound like a BOP recruiter, it was more to give people a chance to see what's good about the prison system.
                Good post.

                I've had positive dealings with many BOP personnel, particularly wardens and associate wardens who themselves moved up through the ranks. Were they "hug a thug" types? No. They wanted inmates who assaulted staff prosecuted BUT they also wanted staff who abused their authority prosecuted as well. When you as a BOP employee work for the Dept of Justice, you are held to a higher authority and you should behave that way and the vast majority of BOP employees do. It's ironic that some of the BOP employees arrested for criminal acts have phony badges (unofficial) in their possession that ID them as a Department of Justice officer.

                At some BOP facilities in major cities like the MCC in New York or MDC in Brooklyn their are quite a few employees who love to bad mouth the BOP. The way I see it, if you show up for work, do your job as instructed, and stay out of trouble off duty, you should be fine.

                BOP staff stressed from dealing with inmate issues? That might be why BOP employees are covered under the government's highly coveted 6c retirement.

                The job is/can be what you make of it.
                They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We bad mouth them because we know the deal. We see through the BS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    True if you can SURVIVE a year or two as a line C.O you can do SORT, INTEL, CT and other "specialty" assignments. And yes you can go from C.O to Warden. But ask yourself at what cost? Is doing 2-5 years with No vest, less lethal, or backing from the suits worth it? Mind you will be lacking these things while supervising Felons who have an unlimited weapons stock supply? Sometimes 300 to 1 (you). I think not. Plus the suits will throw you under a bus in a nano second if they think the Bureau will "look bad" in the outcome regardless of who's at fault. That's why I resigned. If I'm gonna go out **** it, I'm going out with a fighting chance. Would you go into a war zone without a gun? Sheer madness if you ask me.
                    The post above does not constitute legal advice, nor should be construed as such. These are the private opinions of a private citizen and do not represent the opinion nor official capacity of any law enforcement agency.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ops View Post
                      No vest
                      I seem to have heard that all BOP employees are being issued protective vests.

                      Originally posted by ops View Post
                      Would you go into a war zone without a gun?
                      Any weapon issued to a CO inside the fences can be easily taken away from an inmate and used against you? I know at the ADX they issue batons, but do you really want batons and pepper spray floating around the uncontrolled institutions (FCI's and USP's)?
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                        I seem to have heard that all BOP employees are being issued protective vests.



                        Any weapon issued to a CO inside the fences can be easily taken away from an inmate and used against you? I know at the ADX they issue batons, but do you really want batons and pepper spray floating around the uncontrolled institutions (FCI's and USP's)?
                        No vest whatsoever unless doing a extraction. When I use to work the BOP booth on park row their was only one vest issued to the post. We were to share the vest and were required to have it on or risk being hit with out of uniform. Shift after shift in the summer time with the same vest. Or you could come out of pocket and buy your own. On GS7 money in nyc@#$% That is the BOP.

                        The bop does not want officer to have weapons. It might offend the inmates. Forget about the fact that almost all I/Ms are armed. That is the BOP.

                        GoldBadge I'm not ragging you. You are a nice guy who has been posting here for years. Its the bop I can't stand.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SHU View Post
                          No vest whatsoever unless doing a extraction. When I use to work the BOP booth on park row their was only one vest issued to the post. We were to share the vest and were required to have it on or risk being hit with out of uniform. Shift after shift in the summer time with the same vest. Or you could come out of pocket and buy your own. On GS7 money in nyc@#$% That is the BOP.

                          The bop does not want officer to have weapons. It might offend the inmates. Forget about the fact that almost all I/Ms are armed. That is the BOP.

                          GoldBadge I'm not ragging you. You are a nice guy who has been posting here for years. Its the bop I can't stand.
                          This has changed since an officer was killed in June at USP Atwater. A company is now coming to each prison and fitting each staff member who wants a vest. The BOP is buying the vests.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When I was a BOP C.O. I was issued a vest and it was optional to wear. The job sucks point blank but if you need a job and benifits beggers can't be choosers. Thats why I was there that led to other better jobs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SHU View Post
                              GoldBadge I'm not ragging you. You are a nice guy who has been posting here for years. Its the bop I can't stand.
                              I'm not offended at all, you're certainly entitled to express your feelings. We on o.com can agree to disagree on some matters, it's just that some posters (not you ) don't know how to do so in a civil manner.

                              I did see a memo signed by BOP Director Harley Lappin ordering that vests be issued to all institutional staff.
                              They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 11241 users online. 452 members and 10789 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X