300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Probation and Parole Officer

Im new to the forums and have introduced myself in the meet and greet section.
    Can anyone point me to any thread or information on the process of becoming a Probation and Parole Officer 1 in Louisiana?
    Thanks.
    Sergeant First Class (Retired)
    United States Army

Originally posted by wannabpnp View Post
    Can anyone point me to any thread or information on the process of becoming a Probation and Parole Officer 1 in Louisiana?
    Thanks.
    I have not seen any threads on this site for Prob officer. However the requirements are a BS/BA degree if not experience as a LEO. Froms some of the officers I know, it's an ok job, however most of the listing now are only temporary, 3 yrs at most. Just be aware of that. Best thing to do is go take the test and see if they call you to start the process.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Thanks.
      IDK about LA, but I am a Prob/Parole officer in Alabama. The process was pretty simple but dragged out here. I took the test in May of 07, Scheduled for PAT and interview in June of 07, waited....... Offered employment in August of 07.

The job is ok, hours can't be beat, money kinda sucks. I don't plan on being here in 2 years but it's a good starting point. Here in Alabama we are sworn LEO with arrest powers. I graduated from a police academy.

I will either get a psn with the SS that I am working on or I will go to Tampa and try to get on with the HCSO.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Can you tell me about your daily duties? Im blessed to have a small pension from the Army so that will help in the income corner.
        Thankfully I have a BS degree. According to the HR lady in the Shreveport P&P office, Gov. Jindal enacted a hiring freeze when he took office. I will still forge ahead with the application process.
        Thanks for the info from both respondents to my question.
        Sergeant First Class (Retired)
        United States Army

Comment

I'm a PO in Arkansas. My daily duties typically are meeting with parolees and probationers to make sure they are in compliance. One day a week someone from our office goes to court. We also go to clients homes to varify their address and make sure they don't have drugs, weapons...etc. I have days when I'm very busy and stressed. Other days are nice and relaxed.

I agree with England, the money does suck. I have been a PO for 9 months, love the job, but it will be a stepping stone to something else.
          Last edited by ArkPO; 09-28-2008, 10:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks.
            I will try to answer some of your question since I was once a P&P officer for Louisiana.

I was in the Jefferson Parish district. I think the caseload for me pre-Katrina was about 120 offenders. My district was Law enforcement oriented, however we did have a couple of agents who were very much social work driven, however they usually were frustrated and left quickly. Salary pretty much sucked or I would still be there. I loved the job but just got tired of living on peanuts. Something likes 2000 a month if I can recall. I was there for 3 years and I believe when I left I was earning $27000 a year. I did have a take home car though. One of my friends who is still their told me they recently got a $6000 raise recently. I believe he has about 10 years in and is currently making about 50,000 a year. When I was there all you got was comp time for working over 8 hrs a day, at 1.5 hours per hour worked. No over time at all, however I believe they are currently allowed some overtime per week now. I do not believe it is no more than 5 hours of overtime a week though. Not 100% sure on that. Cost of living in New Orleans has seen a major price hike in housing since Katrina. Most people are moving to the north shore where housing is a little more reasonable but still your homeowners insurance with rape you. All agents must go through an approved Louisiana Post Academy, which will be sponsored by P&P. You will receive the same training as all Law enforcement officers who enforce state and local laws within the state.

Hope this info helps let me know if I can answer any other questions. The state retirement was very good. It was like you 3 1/3% for every year of service. Therefore, if you worked 30 years you got 100% of your salary for life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1634 users online. 103 members and 1531 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X