Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the current authorized side arm for CIA-SPS Officers? Are they able to carry off duty? Are these officers issued badges and credentials?
    United States Border Patrol
    Test:2/13/09
    Tentative Offer:3/6/2009
    Pre-Employment:3/21/2009
    Oral Board:3/25/2009
    Medical:4/07/2009
    Fitness Test:4/07/2009
    Drug Screening:4/16/2009
    Qualifications:4/21/2009
    Background:Security Office

Comment

Did anyone else receive the email to complete the test online?

Comment

Originally posted by danperez View Post
        What is the current authorized side arm for CIA-SPS Officers? Are they able to carry off duty? Are these officers issued badges and credentials?
        I'm interested in knowing the same thing.

Comment

What is the current authorized side arm for CIA-SPS Officers?
          Glock 17.

Are they able to carry off duty?
          They can carry personal weapons off-duty on their creds pursuant to HR218/LEOSA, but the duty weapon must be locked up at home in the agency-issued lockbox.

Are these officers issued badges and credentials?
          Yes.

I met a bunch of these guys at FLETC... that's how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
            Did anyone else receive the email to complete the test online?
            I received the e-mail yesterday.

Let us revive this thread for us hopeful applicants. I am in the dark with what this position entails beyond the one paragraph explanation on their website.

Thanks BD380, for responding to my questions.

Comment

What is the average time frame to be hired by the mentioned agency? What is the approximate size of this department in terms of officers? Do they only hire individuals with college degree?

Comment

What is the average time frame to be hired by the mentioned agency? What is the approximate size of this department in terms of officers? Do they only hire individuals with college degree?
                Just be careful what you post, especially if you are in the process. I asked some questions during the process and wrote some things I experienced and it started to get a little more in depth and the thread magically vanished.. dun dun dunnn.. Just remember what agency you are speaking about. But, with that being said, I had a lot of the same questions you had so good luck with getting your answers to a lot of the stuff you want to know. My best advice is, if you get through the process ask while you are at the interview or at other testing! Good luck

Comment

What is the average time frame to be hired by the mentioned agency?
                  Typically at least 12 months.

What is the approximate size of this department in terms of officers?
                  That's classified. You'll find out if you get hired.

Do they only hire individuals with college degree?
                  Not for this position.

Comment

I took the online assessment recently. Has anyone else heard anything back after taking the assessment? Just looking for a yes or no, not looking for what they actually responded with.

Comment

Originally posted by BRC83 View Post
                      I took the online assessment recently. Has anyone else heard anything back after taking the assessment? Just looking for a yes or no, not looking for what they actually responded with.
                      Maybe

Comment

I took the online assesment in 2007 and eventually received an email with information concerning when and where to be for an interview.

Comment

I got as far as the interview after you take and pass the online test.Then I received the F U letter.
                          I`d rather have one hundred enemies than one backstabbing friend.

Comment

Sorry, I removed my original response.
                            Last edited by ThinBlueLEO; 11-24-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinBlueLEO View Post
                              Good afternoon everyone,

Hopefully I can clear up any confusions or misconceptions regarding SPS and what they actually are and are not. I'll try to reference some of the questions from the previous posts and apologize if I miss any. If I do miss any, please feel free to respond to the thread or contact me via private message.

SPS is not divided into two groups. All SPS Officers (or SPO's) are duly sworn federal police officers. The Agency does have contract guards working for them but they are a separate entity from the actual SPS Officers. SPO's are Police Officers and not "Security Guards" or and "administrative" position as previously noted. Although some of the work SPS does is static post or security guard type work, they also have several types of mobile patrols and do standard type traffic stops.

An officer does not have to be in the service for an obscene amount of time before getting promoted and has very competitive promotion processes (and competitive pay). They are constantly growing and upward mobility is obtainable and occurs often. SPS also has several specialty units that if you meet the criteria, you may apply for once you are an officer. They include K9, HazMat, Bomb Tech and Emergency Operations to name a few. Also, their are overseas (TDY) opportunities as an SPS Officer. They are on a volunteer basis and usually require you to compete against other officers who are interested. Although TDY opportunity exists, it isn't SPS's primary function and shouldn't be the sole reason for applying to this position.

As you know, federal LE is different than your more traditional LE. If you are looking to kick in doors and chase down drug dealers, SPS, FBI, USSS, NSA and similar uniformed LE jobs are not for you. However, in many ways, federal LE is more difficult that your more traditional LE since they wait for the threat to come to them and have to be ready at the drop of a hat. So yes, if you choose to remain a line officer, things can become pretty redundant but SPS is truly what you make of it. However, as previously stated, some people like the force protection aspect of the position.

The Agency likes to hire within so moving from SPS to another position is quit easy compared to other agencies. As long as you meet the qualifications of the position you apply for, you are just as competitive as any other applicant. SPS has a 3 year commitment and that time begins when you EOD. However, that commitment doesn't prevent you from moving within the service, getting promoted or taking advantage of some of the collateral duties, just from moving out of the Service within the first 3 years. Really not a long time.

The information provided above regarding Protective Agent (PA) is accurate if you are an external applicant thinking about applying to that position. However, PA is sometimes the next logical step for SPS if that type of work interests you. SPO's are eligible to apply for a full time PA position (if available) once their SPS commitment is complete and would be more competitive than an external applicant. The PA cadre will sometimes seek out part-time (PT) assistance from SPS which allows SPO's to go through the PA training and work with them on a PT or as needed basis. Many PA's are former SPO's. Again, unless you are willing to give 3 good years to SPS, I suggest against apply to SPS if you will only be happy as a PA because their are still no promises.

In closing, SPS does have a 20 year retirement, is primarily force protection and has limitless opportunity for advancement within the service and Agency if you are qualified and are willing to work hard. I would recommend against stopping by an SPS post for more information because you will not end up asking the questions. If you are interested, go to CIA.gov and apply. Although the posting is rather vague, if you are selected and make it through the prescreening, you will receive more information regarding the service and the position. At that point you are under no obligation to the Agency and may remove yourself from process at any time if it isn't for you.

If you would like more information fee free to respond to this post or send me a private message. I'll provide you with accurate information or I won't provide any at all. Thanks!

Leo
                              Thank you for the informative post. I'm county LE in another state and am debating whether or not to apply myself.
                              WIISAD
                              While invisible, I see and destroy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11308 users online. 385 members and 10923 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X