300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA Security Protective Service

A couple of months back I started a thread about the CIA police having the law enforcement retirement. Many of you on this site had your doubts and were certain that they did not have the retirement. Some of you were sure that the CIA Police did not have the retirement because someone heard from a person at FLETC who had a classmate who knew a person that knew someone at the CIA. Well, I spoke with the recruiter and they do have the FERS Law enforcement retire which makes them eligible to retire after 20 years of service at age 50.

Those that are interest, they are hiring. However, you must submit a resume through their website and they will contact you if you qualify.
    Last edited by Quick2352; 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM.
    USMS
    Info Session: 3/26/2009
    Interview: 6/1/09
    Conditional Offer: 7/2/09
    Sumbitted e-qip: 7/9/09
    Medical Exam: 7/14/09
    Background Interview: 7/29/09
    Drug Screening: 7/29/09
    FIT Test: 1/6/10 (Passed)
    FLETC: 6/9/10

Originally posted by Quick2352 View Post
    A couple of months back I started a thread about the CIA police having the law enforcement retirement. Many of you on this site had your doubts and were certain that they did not have the retirement. Some of you were sure that the CIA Police did not have the retirement because someone heard from a person at FLETC who had a classmate who knew a person that knew someone at the CIA. Well, I spoke with the recruiter and they do have the FERS Law enforcement retire which makes them eligible to retire after 20 years of service at age 50.

Those that are interest, they are hiring. However, you must submit a resume through their website and they will contact you if you qualify.
    Their agents, which are different from the uniformed police officers have the LEO retirement, but the uniformed police officers do not. You might want to confirm your info with which position they are speaking. Just don't want you to take the job misinformed because it has happened before. I know firsthand because I attended FLETC with their officers. They were in my class.
    God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

FPS1588 is correct. Uniformed members do not have covered LE retirement, only the regular FERS retirement. I did hear that their journey level was bumped up to a GS13 however. I know someone who works for them in that capacity. Also there is no age limit either with them.

Comment

Where do they work out of, other than Langley? I know some of their locations are clandestine, but where else are they known to work? I've been tempted to apply, but Langley would be a horrible commute. Do they have people further out of town?
        Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by FPS1588 View Post
          Their agents, which are different from the uniformed police officers have the LEO retirement, but the uniformed police officers do not. You might want to confirm your info with which position they are speaking. Just don't want you to take the job misinformed because it has happened before. I know firsthand because I attended FLETC with their officers. They were in my class.
          I did confirm it and I know the difference between the agents and the police officer. I also spoke with the Major. I don't know were some of you are getting your info from , but it seems like your sources are misinformed. FPS1588 I will sent you a private message.
          USMS

Comment

I did confirm it and I know the difference between the agents and the police officer. I also spoke with the Major. I don't know were some of you are getting your info from , but it seems like your sources are misinformed. FPS1588 I will sent you a private message.
            You are really mis-informed yourself. Certain positions at the CIA are covered under FERS CIA Special Category retirement system. Protective Services are not covered under the LEO retirement. The FERS special allows you to retire at age 50 or with 20 yrs on, however this is not for stateside assignments, which "protective services" is. It is not the LEO retirement. Check with opm if you have further questions.

CIA "police" do not fall under the GS/GL pay scale which might be a contributing factor as to the retirement. As well as the possibility they might not be catergorized as "Law Enforcement" per certain requirements. There are several agencies and LEO's that do not fall under this retirement plan, such as DON/DOA police, CIA protective services. If it's that big of a deal, transfer or apply to an agency that has LEO retirement such as ICE.
            Last edited by irishlad2nv; 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
              You are really mis-informed yourself. Certain positions at the CIA are covered under FERS CIA Special Category retirement system. Protective Services are not covered under the LEO retirement. The FERS special allows you to retire at age 50 or with 20 yrs on, however this is not for stateside assignments, which "protective services" is. It is not the LEO retirement. Check with opm if you have further questions.

CIA "police" do not fall under the GS/GL pay scale which might be a contributing factor as to the retirement. As well as the possibility they might not be catergorized as "Law Enforcement" per certain requirements. There are several agencies and LEO's that do not fall under this retirement plan, such as DON/DOA police, CIA protective services. If it's that big of a deal, transfer or apply to an agency that has LEO retirement such as ICE.
              As a matter of fact, they do use the GL pay scale. Like I said, I spoke with the recruiter and I had a lot of questions regarding this matter. They were fighting for it for a while and finally got it earlier this year. I don't blame you if are skeptical because you can't believe everything you read on the site. But don't discount it if you haven't heard the horses mouth (not someone at FLETC). Maybe you should give the recruiter a call.
              Last edited by Quick2352; 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM.
              USMS

Comment

As a matter of fact, they do use the GL pay scale. Like I said, I spoke with the recruiter and I had a lot of questions regarding this matter. They were fighting for it for a while and finally got it earlier this year. I don't blame you if are skeptical because you can't believe everything you read on the site. But don't discount it if you haven't heard the horses mouth (not someone at FLETC). Maybe you should give the recruiter a call.
                I spoke with one of their officers the other day and he said that Protective agents get the retirement Officers don't. He also told me that officers under the rank of sgt. don't even get creds. This info is from an actual on the job CIA Protective services officer.
                Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

I don't want you to think we are trying to argue the point, but we are trying to give you information that is reliable. The only agency that has received a type of LEO retirement within the past year is CBP officers. Theirs was effective July 2008. I can't say why a recruiter would give you information that is incorrect, however I can only state that I am absolutely positive that as of today, CIA police have yet to recieve LEO retirement. You can even look up the section under 12d that annotates all that are covered by the retirement. Its not to say they may be working on it, and in my opinion anyone carring a gun and a badge with police on it should receive it, however that is not how OPM does things. There would be all types of proof in writing stating they recently received it. You can check the information of how CBP just received it. All we are saying, is if one of the reasons for joining CIA police is that they may be covered. get it in writing.

Comment

I just checked their site in reference to the security protective service officer which was updated as of today. They have a minimum age limit of 21 but no maximum age limit. This is the defining confirmation that the position is not LEO covered. All covered positions have a maximum entry age of 37 and some cases 40 years old.

Comment

There has been a bill languishing forever on the Hill to "cover" most LE jobs within the G. Never passes mostly due to the sheer amount of money it would cost. Some hold out hope for it but with the current fiscal climate I would say it is dead in the water.

And on the topic of the thread....SPO's payscale is GL and they are not 6C/12D covered positions. Interesting job if you are looking to get your foot in the door. Not a ton of police work as the job title Security Police Officer implies.

Comment

Ok, my info. is dated in the sense I was on the protective detail until a year and half ago.

Uniformed officers (Security Protective Officers aka SPO's) and non-uniformed protective agents (Special Agents aka SA's) are not in the special FERS LE retirement. For years, there has been talk of getting a 20 year retirement for the SPO's, but it has not happened yet as far as I know.

The SA's can PETITION to get under the LE retirement on a case by case basis after so many years of service in that capacity, I think it was a minimum of 7 years, BUT your time assigned in the DC area only counted at a ratio of 70%, i.e. stay on the detail 10 years, get credit for 7. If you are overseas or on a trip or away at training, your time counts 100%. Confused yet? I do not know if the same formulas apply to the SPO's since I never worked in that group, which is an an entirely different entity of a larger branch in Security. In my time there I knew of 2 agents who successfully got the LE retirement, there may have been more, but most people rotate out of those assignments and into other jobs before they get the required time so it is really a mute point for most of the personnel. I know of people who got hired well beyond their 37th birthday.

SPO's and SA's both get creds. SPO's are on the GL scale, SA's are on the GS scale. They are different entities and there are differences in overtime, for example, SA's get true time and a half, SPO's get additional straight time. In the entire agency you will see different administrative policies for different segments. Keep in mind the CIA was legislatively prohibited from becoming another FBI type law enforcement agency. This is why the SA's I mentioned and the Inspector General agents are not 1811's.

Hope that helps. I know they do participate in job fairs and that would give you as chance to ask questions in person, otherwise you will get a chance once you are in the hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by SA216 View Post
                          Ok, my info. is dated in the sense I was on the protective detail until a year and half ago.

Uniformed officers (Security Protective Officers aka SPO's) and non-uniformed protective agents (Special Agents aka SA's) are not in the special FERS LE retirement. For years, there has been talk of getting a 20 year retirement for the SPO's, but it has not happened yet as far as I know.

The SA's can PETITION to get under the LE retirement on a case by case basis after so many years of service in that capacity, I think it was a minimum of 7 years, BUT your time assigned in the DC area only counted at a ratio of 70%, i.e. stay on the detail 10 years, get credit for 7. If you are overseas or on a trip or away at training, your time counts 100%. Confused yet? I do not know if the same formulas apply to the SPO's since I never worked in that group, which is an an entirely different entity of a larger branch in Security. In my time there I knew of 2 agents who successfully got the LE retirement, there may have been more, but most people rotate out of those assignments and into other jobs before they get the required time so it is really a mute point for most of the personnel. I know of people who got hired well beyond their 37th birthday.

SPO's and SA's both get creds. SPO's are on the GL scale, SA's are on the GS scale. They are different entities and there are differences in overtime, for example, SA's get true time and a half, SPO's get additional straight time. In the entire agency you will see different administrative policies for different segments. Keep in mind the CIA was legislatively prohibited from becoming another FBI type law enforcement agency. This is why the SA's I mentioned and the Inspector General agents are not 1811's.

Hope that helps. I know they do participate in job fairs and that would give you as chance to ask questions in person, otherwise you will get a chance once you are in the hiring process.

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject. I spoke to the recruiter agian on Friday and from what I was told, their retirement was effective June 2008. He also confirmed that SPO's are issued credentials on day one.

If anyone is interested in speaking with the recruiter, shoot me a PM for the number.
                          USMS

Comment

Last edited by Quick2352; 09-28-2008, 12:16 PM.
                            USMS

Comment

Last edited by Quick2352; 09-28-2008, 12:15 PM.
                              USMS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5345 users online. 199 members and 5146 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X