300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Lateral Transfers

I am very interested and have been seriously considering a career as a police officer. One of the questions I have for those currently working in LE concerns changing departments/states. Is it common for lateral transfers to occur? Is it an easy process or is it difficult? And is it something you can do just once?

I ask because, while I have no plans to move at the moment, I am not sure I want to live where I currently live long-term. I'm wondering if I were to get a job in LE, could I move some years down the road to another part of the country without seriously setting my career back.

Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by HokieInDC View Post
    I am very interested and have been seriously considering a career as a police officer. One of the questions I have for those currently working in LE concerns changing departments/states. Is it common for lateral transfers to occur? Is it an easy process or is it difficult? And is it something you can do just once?

I ask because, while I have no plans to move at the moment, I am not sure I want to live where I currently live long-term. I'm wondering if I were to get a job in LE, could I move some years down the road to another part of the country without seriously setting my career back.

Thanks for any input.
    Quite a few agencies accept lateral transfer applicants, some actively encourage them. Still, other departments refuse to accept lateral applicants.I realize that this is a very general reply. Quite a few agencies which accept lateral applicants, adapt, as in shorten ,Academy requirements for these Officers. A major consideration in lateral transfers is the reciprocity one state gives another state's minimum training requirements. Several states do not recognize POST certificates from other states, and this could affect an agencies' ability to accept a lateral transfer. For precise answers, you'll have to do considerable research,as this is a topic with many variables.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3992 users online. 218 members and 3774 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X