300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are medical records pulled?

I'm in the middle of an application process for corrections. During the background investigation will they pull all my medical records, physical and mental?

Also, how are psych test fashioned? Are they standard and/or the same test given to everyone? Or are they tailored to each individual based on the background investigation?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by swearengen; 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM.

bump. Any info anybody? Do BI pull records?

Comment

Of course they do.

Comment

From my experience in Police dept application procedures, including Florida depts:

I doubt they will pull your medical/physical records. Where in the world would they even begin to look to try and find those records? Most applications dont ask who your primary care physician is, and I've never seen one that asks if you have a psychologist. Even if they DID ask that, your Dr. would be all over HIPPA laws like white on rice. Even signing a piece of paper saying you are willing to share your medical records won't convince most Doctors to give up that information, too much risk for them. It's not like all your medical records are stored in a big government vault somewhere. Only the Doctors you have visited usually have any records of that information and only an act of congress will get them to release any of it.

As for the psychological test, most are pretty standardized across the board and are not usually modified to fit any one person or another. The psych doctors MAY ask you specific questions about your answers, but the actual questions will usually be the same for everyone. Don't sweat it.

Comment

From my experience in Police dept application procedures, including Florida depts:

I doubt they will pull your medical/physical records. Where in the world would they even begin to look to try and find those records? Most applications dont ask who your primary care physician is, and I've never seen one that asks if you have a psychologist. Even if they DID ask that, your Dr. would be all over HIPPA laws like white on rice. Even signing a piece of paper saying you are willing to share your medical records won't convince most Doctors to give up that information, too much risk for them. It's not like all your medical records are stored in a big government vault somewhere. Only the Doctors you have visited usually have any records of that information and only an act of congress will get them to release any of it.

As for the psychological test, most are pretty standardized across the board and are not usually modified to fit any one person or another. The psych doctors MAY ask you specific questions about your answers, but the actual questions will usually be the same for everyone. Don't sweat it.
          Thank you for the response. My mind is at ease.

Comment

I can't speak for Florida, but in my agency (California) it's considerably different.

The medical is not part of the background. The BI is not qualified to discuss or evaluate medical issues with you, so he shouldn't even go near there. In addition, the Americans With Disabilities Act prohibits an employer from making medical inquiries except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment.

Once you pass your background we make a conditional offer of employment and you are scheduled for a physical and psych. Prior to the exam you are sent a medical history questionnaire to fill out that asks for the name, address and phone number of every physician that has ever treated you. Also included are medical record release forms for you to sign. In them, you tell the doctor that you have applied for a job with the police department, that release of your medical records is an essential part of the hiring process and that he is authorized to give us your records. We then send the release along with a cover letter to all of your doctors. In response, your doctors send copies of your records to our physician. HIPA allows this and releasing records in this manner is routine, As part of your medical and psych exams, our doctors will review your records and evaluate you accordingly.

As a side issue, while the government does not maintain a big vault with everyone's medical records in it, there is another way to find if you are hiding a medical condition (assuming treatment was paid for by insurance). In order to protect against fraud, the insurance industry maintains a database of all insurance claims, whether they be workers compensation, life insurance, auto accident or general medical. While they don't contain your medical records per se, they contain billing records, provider identification, treatment dates and diagnosis codes. With one of the releases signed by you, the agency you have applied with should have no problem double checking your information through the insurance database and tracking down any doctors and records you failed to report.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks L-1.I went for out patient consoling for some issues i had. During my visits with the psychiatrist I admitted to using coke. That's why I have concern as to whether or not the BI will pull mine in the state of Florida. If they do im F***ED
              Last edited by swearengen; 09-28-2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Apparently the federal government is much more strict than the states mentioned above. We have to sign a "release of information" form that included disclosure of information from individuals, schools, residential management agents, employers, criminal justice agencies, credit bureaus, cosumer reporting agencies, collection agencies, retail business establishments, and other sources.

We also had to sign a seperate "medical information release" form which authorizes the government to get information from any medical or mental health practitioner that you've ever been to (which you're required to list).

Comment

Originally posted by swearengen View Post
                  Thanks L-1. I'm a veteran of the Air force and after I discharged I went to the VA hospital system...I went for out patient consoling for some issues i had. During my visits with the psychiatrist I admitted to using coke. That's why I have concern as to whether or not the BI will pull mine in the state of Florida. If they do im F***ED
                  Were you planning on trying to conceal the fact that you've used cocaine?

Comment

The fact that you once used coke is likely to emerge in another phase of the hiring process. If the agency to which you've applied administers a Polygraph exam, you can expect to be questioned concerning past drug use. Both Personal History Statements and Polygraph Questionaires will usually also ask if you've ever commited a crime or offense for which you were not arrested or prosecuted. Should those questions be asked of you, how you answer them is up to you. If a Polygraph is administered and you fail to respond truthfully, you could have problems continuing in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by BD380 View Post
                      Apparently the federal government is much more strict than the states mentioned above. We have to sign a "release of information" form that included disclosure of information from individuals, schools, residential management agents, employers, criminal justice agencies, credit bureaus, cosumer reporting agencies, collection agencies, retail business establishments, and other sources.

We also had to sign a seperate "medical information release" form which authorizes the government to get information from any medical or mental health practitioner that you've ever been to (which you're required to list).
                      How in-depth do they expect us to be? Especially if we've lived in multiple states or traveled and been to hospitals out of state? Especially for medical history before 18 years old?

For example, I don't remember the hospital I went to when I got hurt skiing in VT when I was 15.

Comment

Originally posted by a cashew View Post
                        How in-depth do they expect us to be? Especially if we've lived in multiple states or traveled and been to hospitals out of state? Especially for medical history before 18 years old?

For example, I don't remember the hospital I went to when I got hurt skiing in VT when I was 15.
                        Here is a link to the SF-86. It is the form used to initiate and conduct federal background investigations. http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf It will show exactly what the Feds look for.

As a matter of routine the only medical information the Feds are going to obtain during the BI are those dealing with psychological issues. Be aware there is an extensive investigation into your background and people not listed on the form will probably be contacted. So if you did anything illegal with anybody Murphy's law suggests they will be contacted and will probably throw you under the bus.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Okay, that is much more reasonable than trying to recall every practitioner and hospital I've ever been treated by ever.

Comment

I thought the govt recently made it illegal to look at your past mental health? Due to soldiers returning with PTSD I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by rakkasan View Post
                              I thought the govt recently made it illegal to look at your past mental health? Due to soldiers returning with PTSD I believe.
                              Under the Health Information Practices Act (HIPA) a doctor can't even confirm whether you are one of his patients without your consent.

However in California, state law requires that peace officer applicants first be found to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer. I suspect it is the same in other states as well.

You can't do this without having the applicant's emotional and mental condition evaluated by a licensed medical professional, authorized to practice in that field. In order to determine whether they meet this standard, applicants sign waivers granting access to their medical records and agreeing to be evaluated by medical professionals.

Of course, you can refuse to disclose this information. But if that happens, the dpartment you are applying to will be unable to verify that you possess the minimum requirements for the job (being free from any physical, emotional, or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer) and you won't get hired.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3717 users online. 256 members and 3461 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X