300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy?

Hello all, I am curious if my age will play a factor in getting hired on at an agency. I am 35 years old, with no experience in LE. I have been a fairly effective business leader for last 15 years, and have served at the executive level in several industries. All that aside, I'm breaking out of that and trying something different.

I'm sure there are some older guys like myself who have succeeded. How can a guy like me compete against the field of these younger guys?

Originally posted by Sox View Post
    Hello all, I am curious if my age will play a factor in getting hired on at an agency. I am 35 years old, with no experience in LE. I have been a fairly effective business leader for last 15 years, and have served at the executive level in several industries. All that aside, I'm breaking out of that and trying something different.

I'm sure there are some older guys like myself who have succeeded. How can a guy like me compete against the field of these younger guys?
    Well I thnk it depends on the type of LE work you want to get into. Local? Federal?

I assume you're college educated. If not then local is going to be your only choice. As far as getting a job with a local PD, just apply. Usually there is no age limit and if there is it is far older than you.

There is plenty of material on this and other message boards about the application process, backgrounds, physical fitness, etc...

If you are applying at the federal level. Hurry up!!! The cutoff is age 37 for most positions and the app process takes at least a year.

Don't worry about the lack of LE experience. You say you have business experience. Often times that is more valueable at the federal level than LE experience.

Start conditioning. No matter which way you go you will most likely have at least a 4 month app process. that is plenty of time to get in shape.

Good luck

Comment

As far as the education, that's not always true. If you're willing to move for a bit you might want to look into the Border Patrol. They are mass hiring right now and if you get on, it stops your clock as far as age goes. You apply now you'll be on by the time your 37 which will give you the coverage to move on if you want pass the age of 37.

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
        As far as the education, that's not always true. If you're willing to move for a bit you might want to look into the Border Patrol. They are mass hiring right now and if you get on, it stops your clock as far as age goes. You apply now you'll be on by the time your 37 which will give you the coverage to move on if you want pass the age of 37.
        I thought Border Patrol age cutoff was 40. I might be mistaken but I thought BP and IEA age cutoffs were 40. Either way you don't need much LE experience for either position. They will train you to become an efficient agent. The only competition you will have with the younger applicants is scoring higher on the written test. Border Patrol has been issuing Tentative Offers (TOs) to anyone that passed the test, however for IEA TOs are offered by scores and geographic preference. This has been often debated but from what I've heard once you receive your TO you will be grandfathered in, if you happen to turn 40 before you receive an offer. I know very limit about local LE, so I can't help you if your looking to go local.

Comment

Originally posted by Sox View Post

Folks entering law enforcement in their thirties happens all the time. That said, at age 35, you're closing in on the age limit for "some" agencies. Now is the time to start doing some research. Look at the entrance requirments for departments which interest you. See if there is an age limit. Look at the physical requirements. Many states, and therefore departments, mandate a Physical Agility(Abilities) Test. You don't have to be Superman to pass these, but you do have to be in reasonable shape. I've personally seen older guys.gals go out and really kick butt in these tests. I've watched them show up people in their twenties. So, yeah, it happens. Bottom line, Go for it. Start looking around, see where you might be a fit. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Thanks for all your input gang, I appreciate it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6022 users online. 354 members and 5668 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X