Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice Please.

Hi,
    I've been wanting to get into law enforcement since I graduated high school, but been afraid to not qualify because of my juvenile record. I have a battery charge (guilty/judicial warning) and a reckless driving (adjudication withheld) both seven years ago. The plus is I have an AA in criminal Justice and 36 credits left to go for my BS. I would self sponser myself into the acadamy, but is it worth it. Please let me know what you think I should do, if maybe I should just think about another career path. Thank you.

Originally posted by garcia.012 View Post
    Hi,
    I've been wanting to get into law enforcement since I graduated high school, but been afraid to not qualify because of my juvenile record. I have a battery charge (guilty/judicial warning) and a reckless driving (adjudication withheld) both seven years ago. The plus is I have an AA in criminal Justice and 36 credits left to go for my BS. I would self sponser myself into the acadamy, but is it worth it. Please let me know what you think I should do, if maybe I should just think about another career path. Thank you.
    Apply...and see what happens.

Care to work the southwest border? US Border Patrol is currently hiring like mad. Apply to them, go through the pre-hiring steps and see how the chips fall.

Comment

I don't see it as a show stopper, especially if you finish your degree.

Comment

Hi,
        The battery charge and reckless driving is not good for you but what you have going is it was seven years ago. I think you should give it a shot. When the time comes for the Background Investigation you need to clearly demonstrate how you have changed. Like Merlin said I would look into the Border Patrol.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to try to stay local, the county I'm in Miami-Dade said no way to me, said to not even apply. But I now got the courage to apply for the city department I grew up in and will have a shot. Thaks Guys.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary.-James Madison

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to try to stay local, the county I'm in Miami-Dade said no way to me, said to not even apply. But I now got the courage to apply for the city department I grew up in and will have a shot. Thaks Guys.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary.-James Madison
            Here's the thing bud,
            Any FELONY charges on your record automatically disqualifies you for ANY Law Enforcement JOB (Where you carry a weapon). If you were charged as a juvenile and was not considered a felony to carry over onto you adult record, go ahead. My advice to you is this, try to find out the details of your records (look them up)...if you have a felony in it (make sure you don't), then forget about it....as to the reckless driving.... Local PD's won't take a reckless or DUI's within three or five years...
            Good Luck
            Last edited by yoda; 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM.
            CBPO
            Written: 08/29/2007
            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

I may be wrong, but as I read it he has a misdemeanor assault conviction as a juvenile...for which he did no time and a reckless charge which was adjourned and later dismissed.

I'm not seeing a felony conviction, but maybe I missed something.
              Last edited by merlin436; 09-11-2008, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Easiest thing is to call each department and talk to their recruiter. They will be able to tell you based on your situation if you should go forth with applying. If you want it bad. Go Get it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5957 users online. 347 members and 5610 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X