300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hampshire State Police

I plan to test for the New Hampshire State Police, Hopefully sometime in early 2009. does anyone have any information on if NHSP is going to be hiring in 2009? or any general info about this department?
    Thanks

NHSP is indeed a good agency to work for from my experience. I worked there as an intern a year ago and had such a positive experience that I was considering applying myself. The training is shorter as others have said and from my understanding, they often honor requests about where you'd like to be stationed. This is especially true if you are already established in an area of the State, they do their best to assign you there.

Their jurisdiction is over interstates and smaller towns without local police departments. But, at the end of the day, they are the State Police so in practice the jurisdiction is Statewide. I did a ride along with a FT Trooper and he liked how he could build his own schedule. In other words, if he wasn't busy, he could pull over and do paperwork, monitor local PD's and assist if he felt like some extra action, or shoot radar. All troopers can also take their vehicles home and receive laptops to complete all their work so you don't even need to stop by the barracks every day.

Finally, I thought it was attractive that there were so many areas for specialized interest after you're on for a couple years. You could shoot for a detective position (and believe be, NH has its fair share of action, especially with drugs), SWAT and many other interesting areas.

In any case, my perspective from the standpoint of an intern was that it's a great position. I enjoyed working there, the people were great and I got exposed to quite a lot. Hope that helps.

Comment

The role of a NH Trooper varies depending on where you are stationed. It is a very respected agency in New England. I believe they do 4 hirings a year. Prior military is good, but definatly not necessary. My friend is in the academy for them now (one academy for every L.E. in the state), and she said that the competition to get the spot was not very tough. The pay is decent, take home car, good benefits and a great state retirement. They technically have jurisdiction in the entire state, however they cannot act as law enforcement in towns over a certain population without permission. Towns under a certain population, they have free reign, but most towns in the state welcome all the help they can get. It is really only the large cities in the state, Manchester, etc... that the troopers pretty much stay out of. If you work in one of the troops in the southern part of the state, you will do mostly traffic work/patrol on the state roads. The farther north you go (Troop E, Troop F), you will do just about everything, as you will be the only law enforcement in many of the small towns. Many of the smaller towns do not have 24hr police coverage, and the state police will go "on call" after a certain time. NHSP recently signed an exclusive contract with Dodge, so the only new cars they will buy will be Chargers, definatly a perk There is some good info on the website, google NH Dept. of Safety.
      Live freeze and die

Comment

Another thing, you have no say in where you are stationed when you are hired. They do not put "rookies" in any particular troop, it will be wherever they need the help. After some time on the job, you can put in for a location change. This is hard for some people because you could be right on the Mass. boarder, or on the Canadian boarder, or anywhere in between. I guess if you have no ties to a particular place in the state, it would be fine. When you do get you permanent assignment, it is a requirement that you live in your patrol area, within your troop.
        Live freeze and die

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5880 users online. 319 members and 5561 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X