300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deportation Officer

I am trying to get a job with ICE as a Deportation Officer. What is the most efficient way to get a job as a DO? Could you gain the experience needed by working as a CBPO or IEA? I know IEA works with DO's, but what are the chances of being hired on as a DO with IEA experience and is this the only position that most directly shadows the DO position?
    According to the vacancy announcements, you need to have direct experience and have completed all the required coursework at Glynco for this position, or have completed a JD degree or graduate work. Does this position only hire at a GS-09 level or do they have nationwide entry level vacancy announcements from time to time. I know currently that all the vacancy announcements hire at the GS-09 level.

Does anyone here know someone as an example who worked with another agency and qualified to be hired on as a GS-09 DO. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can gain experience for a DO spot as a cbpo or a cbpoe, however I would go with IEA do to the fact that the work is similar and they work with DO's on a daily basis. I have only known a couple of cbpo's that have become DO's but they were all legacy INS.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

To echo qixfeet, becoming an IEA would be the best route IMO. But CBPO and BP are also great stepping stones.

Comment

Do DO's get LEAP?

Comment

Originally posted by johndeere455 View Post
          I am trying to get a job with ICE as a Deportation Officer. What is the most efficient way to get a job as a DO? Could you gain the experience needed by working as a CBPO or IEA? I know IEA works with DO's, but what are the chances of being hired on as a DO with IEA experience and is this the only position that most directly shadows the DO position?
          According to the vacancy announcements, you need to have direct experience and have completed all the required coursework at Glynco for this position, or have completed a JD degree or graduate work. Does this position only hire at a GS-09 level or do they have nationwide entry level vacancy announcements from time to time. I know currently that all the vacancy announcements hire at the GS-09 level.

Does anyone here know someone as an example who worked with another agency and qualified to be hired on as a GS-09 DO. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
          As a former CBPO and current ICE S/A who currently works with IEA's and DO's, your best option is IEA to DO. In the CBP academy they teach you (212) Grounds of Inadmissibility not (237) Grounds of Removal, which means if you did the CBP academy and got offered a DO spot you would have to go through another academy. On the other hand as an IEA you would not have to go through an academy for the DO spot. Also any CBPO that was hired as a DO was either Legacy INS or a CBPOE. So your chances are slim with the CBPO position.

DO’s get AUO and FLSA not LEAP.
          I believe forgiveness is Gods function; my job is to simply arrange the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by CBP1895 View Post
            As a former CBPO and current ICE S/A who currently works with IEA's and DO's, your best option is IEA to DO. In the CBP academy they teach you (212) Grounds of Inadmissibility not (237) Grounds of Removal, which means if you did the CBP academy and got offered a DO spot you would have to go through another academy. On the other hand as an IEA you would not have to go through an academy for the DO spot. Also any CBPO that was hired as a DO was either Legacy INS or a CBPOE. So your chances are slim with the CBPO position.

DO’s get AUO and FLSA not LEAP.
            To mirror what was said above, the DO job is usually filled by IEA's or legacy INS/Customs folks. Since you are not legacy your only feasible option would be to go IEA.
            Some ICE S/A's also become DO's, but this is an afterthought and not usually planned in advance. It would make no sense to go to CITP and the ICE add-on if your goal was to be a DO. You would still have to attend ICE-D training to get the DO job.
            The transition from IEA to DO is only a 3 week course at FLETC.
            sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11385 users online. 446 members and 10939 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X