300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Question

I would like to get some input on a question which has been asked on some interviews. The question is, “Have you applied to other agencies and if so which ones?” Personally, I do not think it is any of their business what other positions I have applied for but I do not think that answer will win me points.

I spoke to a friend of mine in the corporate world and he stated he has asked that same question to see what sort of competition his company was facing as far as offering the candidate a position. I understand that in the corporate world, but do not think that 100% applies to law enforcement.

So, how can one answer this question honestly and not come across as one who has applied to multiple agencies? Have any of you been interviewed with department X and had to tell them you also have pending applications with departments A, B, and C?

I do not want to come across in the interview that I am desperate to leave my current position and looking for ANYTHING!!

Any input??

Thanks

Although there are likely many reasons they do this, the OBVIOUS one in an LE selection process is so they can go get eyes on your applications to other agencies and verify that your application/backgound info is consistent. They're making sure you're not making stuff up or altering your information as you move through various selections. Corporate America doesn't get to do that trick!

Comment

Originally posted by Bushido2278 View Post
      Although there are likely many reasons they do this, the OBVIOUS one in an LE selection process is so they can go get eyes on your applications to other agencies and verify that your application/backgound info is consistent. They're making sure you're not making stuff up or altering your information as you move through various selections. Corporate America doesn't get to do that trick!
      I get what your are saying but I do not believe any department/agency would actually allow another department/agency to look at their applicants files. I have done many background investigations, and I have never been told or even allowed to go to another agency's HR department and demand to see one of our applicants applications with a different agency.

For example, I think FBI would kick me out of their building if I came in and asked to see the application of an applicant my agency was considering.

If they do this on the state and local level then all I have to say is WOW I stand corrected!!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishFed View Post
        I get what your are saying but I do not believe any department/agency would actually allow another department/agency to look at their applicants files. I have done many background investigations, and I have never been told or even allowed to go to another agency's HR department and demand to see one of our applicants applications with a different agency.

For example, I think FBI would kick me out of their building if I came in and asked to see the application of an applicant my agency was considering.

If they do this on the state and local level then all I have to say is WOW I stand corrected!!
        Then say WOW!
        The recruiter from Dept A can go in to meet the redruiter of Dept B and ask to look at an applicant's file. They can't copy it or take it, but they can look.

And it doesn't surprise me to hear that this wouldn't fly at the Fed level.
        Local PD's and SO's though....happens all the time.

Gotta love it!

Comment

is this for an interview for making you competitive or an interview with a background investigator?
          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

This is during an initial interview before they make selections to pass on to the BI.
            Last edited by IrishFed; 08-21-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

And I have to say "WOW"

I am a man of my word.

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7235 users online. 352 members and 6883 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X