300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Federal 1811/Special Agent positions

I have a question for the 1811s on the forum...

I'm a somewhat recent college grad and a police applicant for a few local departments in the DC area. As someone who would eventually like to become a special agent with the Fed. Gov., I've looked at the qualifications for many agencies, and most of them seem to want:

A higher level graduate degree (Master's, Law, etc.)
    or
    One year of specialized experience

If I decided not to pursue an advanced degree in the future, what is the best way to achieve an 1811 position? Would I be wrong to assume that I should work hard for a local PD, obtain a detective or investigative type assignment if possible for a few years which will give me the "special exerience" that I need to become an 1811? Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you for your time.
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

-----------
    Last edited by Street_Cop50; 08-28-2008, 02:26 AM.
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

Although a masters degree is desirable, there is no need for experience. ICE, ATF, AFOSI, and Border Partol are known to hire people fresh out of college over experienced LEOs. FBI, DEA, and OIGs are the agencies that only seek educated/experienced candidates, for the most part.

I wish I knew that ahead of time!

Comment

The Border Patrol does not have 1811 series agents.

I know that ICE does but they start at GS-09, meaning some experience or an incredible "judo of words" to explain your experience would be able to get you in.

ICE/FPS has 1811's that start as low as GS-07. They are on USAJOBs as we speak. Those should be pretty easy to qualify for.

GL in your search!

Comment

ICE OI hires at 5/7/9.

I've applied for public and status ICE-FPS 1811 and never heard a thing. I have a degree with SAA and FLEO experience.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 View Post
            Although a masters degree is desirable, there is no need for experience. ICE, ATF, AFOSI, and Border Partol are known to hire people fresh out of college over experienced LEOs. FBI, DEA, and OIGs are the agencies that only seek educated/experienced candidates, for the most part.
            Not quite accurate. While the FBI has a requirement for a certain amount of full time work experience (with some exceptions), the other agencies you listed, all seek experienced candidates with relevant work experience, and all favor those candidates over people straight out of college with no work experience. Further, Border Patrol does not hire 1811s.

Will some agencies occasionally give opportunities to people straight out of college, including ALL the agencies you mentioned? Yes, but they all favor experienced and educated applicants. Most agents I know for all the agencies you listed, (ICE, ATF, OSI, FBI, DEA, the various OIGs, etc) had plenty of real world work experience, and some had advanced degrees when hired. However, I've seen ALL of them, including the FBI, make exceptions and hire people straight out of college, with little to no work experience.

The best answer is this, apply when you're eligible, and be the most attractive candidate you can be when you apply. If you don't get hired keep working hard at whatever profession you're in, and/or school, to make yourself more attractive the next time you apply.

Comment

To the OP, as I said in the previous post. Work hard at being successful at whatever profession or academic field you're in, and apply when eligible.

Some people apply multiple times before hired. I had to apply twice for the second agency I worked for, and I was already an 1811 when I applied.

Me personnally I think going and being a local cop for a few years is a good thing, as that street level policing experience will help you when you an investigator. I spent my 20s in the military and was a little to old to go be a local cop and then a fed, and went straight to the feds, but I wish I had gotten out of the military earlier and been a local cop for a while first.

That's not to say you can't be a great 1811 without being a local cop, or that every local cop will be a great 1811. However, it will help talented people have a jump start on their peers by having that experience.

Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6882 users online. 324 members and 6558 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X