300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick Minor for FED JOB!

I will be finishing my bachelors in CJ in about 6 months. I have heard several jobs with FBI, DEA, etc want additional qualifications on this board. I need help picking a minor. I was thinking accounting. Any other suggestions that make my resume more attractive?? Would like to become a special agent, not sure which section of FBI though. Any help appreciated.

Also, would FEDs count a second language learned from Rosetta Stone?

Thanks, stay safe!

I almost forgot, what second language would be most beneficial?

Comment

Hello Johnnylm

I am not sure how much impact a minor will have but why not kill 2 birds with one stone and minor in a second language. Arabic or Farsi seems to be the it languages now.
      Standing by to stand by

Comment

Originally posted by Tachibana View Post
        Hello Johnnylm

I am not sure how much impact a minor will have but why not kill 2 birds with one stone and minor in a second language. Arabic or Farsi seems to be the it languages now.
        I like the idea. Minor in a foreign language. If you maybe know a little of one from classes in high school or personal experience, just minor in that. Even if you could minor in Arabic or Farsi, that wouldn't prove very useful to you; Arabic and Farsi are fairly advanced langauges and if you don't have a knack for them AND are able to spend time immersed in the language, you're not going to get very far with it.

A minor in any language is fine. Whether it's a love language or even something new and easier to pick up.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

FINANCE! If I could do it all over again, I'd double-major in finance.

Foreign languages are a definitely a plus, but I wouldn't declare a foreign language major. Use your free electives if languages aren't required in your studies. As for languages, if you want to be a street cop, study either Spanish, Portuguese, or French. If you're looking into getting into a Federal agency, Spanish or Arabic are most desired.

Comment

Foreign language and finance are good choices for a minor. If I had to do it again with the type of cases I investigate, I would minor in anything related to computer network security or network intrusion.

You will blow away your competition if you are able to describe how you could review a data log and determine how a network system was compromised.

That is if you are going for a position investigating more white collar crimes vs. drugs.

Comment

I too encourage people to learn a foreing language and other posters have thrown down some good comments. Keep in mind, however, that they dont' give a darn whether you use Rosetta Stone, a minor, a major, or even a masters in a foreign language. At the end of the day, if you can't pass the DLI test, you wont get the cash hiring bonus and it may not pull much weight iwth a hiring panel. Probably better than nothing, but minimal effect on your chances. I don't mean to discourage you, just that you need to do more to develop fluency than just go to class, pound down some vocab via note cards, and watch a few videos. It takes either a prolonged immersion experience or some buddies who speak that language that you can hang out with.

If I could have done college over again, in addition to getting my accounting degree, I would have taken a year and studied Chinese in China. Whether or not I got a minor out of that.

Great questions. Best luck and God bless.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8890 users online. 388 members and 8502 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X