300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agencies that will hire a 37 y/o

I'm sure that this topic has been brought up but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

My friend / coworker just received notice that he was not elegible for the FAM position that he applied for because he just turned 37. Can anyone advise which federal LE agencies (if any) will hire a 37 y/o. His certs consist of police/fire/emt with 5 years experience. He also has experience in swat,firearm instructor and motors.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by firecop_22; 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM.

Border Patrol now hires up to age 40.

No one knows if or when they will go back to a 37 yo cutofff.

Comment

I believe ICE IEA is 40 also.

Comment

FPS, VA Police, DoD Police, Pentagon Force Protection.

Comment

Many municipal Departments hire after 37, if he has local law enforcement already, he may be better staying and getting a pension from them, the fed agencies that hire after 37 do not have the law enforcemnt retirement, something he should consider (if he did not consider it before)

Comment

ssud hires to 40

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I will let him know.

Comment

There are always waivers for Federal work. The biggest problem I'm told anyway is the mandatory retirement age. If you have prior federal or military experience you are probably more likely to get a waiver.

This is what I heard from BATF anyway.
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                  There are always waivers for Federal work.
                  You know I've seen this mentioned on this forum several times, but in several years of working in a "covered" fed LEO job as an 1811 I've NEVER had anyone who worked in HR for an agency tell me there was a waiver for INDIVIDUALS to get hired and "covered" in a fed LEO job that has an age limit. Some agencies have hired people after their 37th birthday who were NOT "covered" by the special LEO retirement. Also, some agencies have been allowed to open up hiring to ALL applicants up to a certain age. Recent examples were USSS Uniform Division, and Border Patrol.
                  The biggest problem I'm told anyway is the mandatory retirement age. If you have prior federal or military experience you are probably more likely to get a waiver.
                  Again, no waivers. If you have prior COVERED fed LEO time, you can switch agencies after the 37th birthday, but if you fed time (LEO or not) was not covered time, the age limit still applies. Further, military time regardless of specialty does not affect the age limit.
                  This is what I heard from BATF anyway.
                  Who at ATF? I work with, and am friends with several ATF agents. I've helped several friends apply with various agencies including ATF, including some friends who were close to the age limit, and have never heard of ATF ever hiring someone as a GS-1811 Criminal Investigator (aka Special Agent) over the age of 37 unless that person had prior COVERED fed LEO time. ATF does hire many people in other job series that are past their 37th birthday, but not 1811s.

Comment

Isabella v Department of State may change the 37 yoa limit, for qualified vets.

Comment

I had a couple of ATF agents attached to my team. They were trying to recruit a couple of us. I would have enjoyed the job but wasn't too keen on relocating. The other guy was very interested but i'm not sure if he hired on or not. He was definately over the age limit. The acted like he could get a waiver no problem. Couldn't tell you what the waiver was. I'm not a Fed.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Tirofijo View Post
                        Border Patrol now hires up to age 40.

No one knows if or when they will go back to a 37 yo cutofff.
                        on Usajobs.gov it still states 37 as the maximum age for Border Patrol
                        "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is why so few engage in it"
                        ~ Henry Ford

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you.
                        ~ Lao-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by kiddk1 View Post
                          on Usajobs.gov it still states 37 as the maximum age for Border Patrol
                          BP website confirms it is 40. http://www.borderpatrol.gov/faqs.html

Probably a cut and paste error on USAjobs.

Comment

I had a couple of ATF agents attached to my team. They were trying to recruit a couple of us. I would have enjoyed the job but wasn't too keen on relocating. The other guy was very interested but i'm not sure if he hired on or not. He was definately over the age limit. The acted like he could get a waiver no problem. Couldn't tell you what the waiver was. I'm not a Fed.
                            Were they possibly trying to recruit you for a job as an Explosives Enforcement Officer (EEO)? EEOs are badge/gun carrying LEOs, but are NOT covered by the special LE retirement, and therefore do not have the age restriction. Again, there is no "age waiver" for individuals trying to get a "covered" job as an 1811 (aka Special Agent) with ATF. The only people who can get hired after their 37th birthday as a Special Agent are people who had prior time in a "covered" job.

Comment

Many times agents aren't the best source of information regarding hiring practices.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10192 users online. 450 members and 9742 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X