300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph question

While in college I did a project on polygraphs and their countermeasures for a psychology class so I know how the most common tests work. I'm concerned I may recognize the control questions and therefore not respond appropriately, which would give a false baseline for the relevant questions which may indicate deception on an actual truthful answer of mine.

I don't want to get too into how the polygraph works because if you have to take them its better if you don't know, but I was wondering if I do ever have to take one as condition of employment what do I do? Do I tell the polygraph examiner about my knowledge on the subject? I don't want to give the impression that I studied it in order to know how to "beat" it though.

I'm also concerned that admitting knowledge of the subject may make the examiner believe I am using countermeasures, which would make the whole process much more adverserial and combative.

There's a forum out there that has talked about how the examiners treat you if you disclose you know how the poly works. I mean "know" as in understand the control questions and the reactions expected from you, not just "know" as in it "detects lies by measuring breathing rate, pulse and sweat."
    Last edited by Tirofijo; 10-09-2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

One of the very first questions you will be asked prior to even being hooked up to the machine is about your knowledge of polygraphs and if you have ever taken one before. I don't see your previous knowledge as being a problem but like a tell everyone who has to take a poly, be BRUTUALLY honest with your examiner because they will find out the truth

Comment

+1. Just be brutally honest.

I've been through one poly already with an FLEO application and will likely face another one soon. My biggest strategy I"m going to employ this time is going in aver several good nights sleep and without any caffine. I don't think its a secret that if you're a nervous wreck that the polygraph wont go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceridwen View Post
          I'm concerned I may recognize the control questions and therefore not respond appropriately, which would give a false baseline for the relevant questions which may indicate deception on an actual truthful answer of mine.

I think you will recognize the control questions (i.e., are the lights on, are you in X location, etc). I don't think it would give a false baseline, however, because the polygrapher should calibrate the machine and your responses on these simple control questions before the actual questioning begins. I'm not a polygrapher, but have witnessed quite a few and it's what I've always seen. As many have already said, just tell the truth because I'm sure the polygrapher has heard everything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8191 users online. 358 members and 7833 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X